Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus 'special offers'...

• 30-11-2004 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭

Has anyone seen on Aer Lingus dot eye eee their special offers for flights to the UK? Most are for €3 - thats right, €3! So, I did a theoretical flight for 2 adults, destination to Edinburgh, on both Aer Lingus and Ryanair... here is what I found (Note: cheapest flight chosen on each carrier):

Depart Dublin Dec 7th (Tuesday)
    Arrive back on Dec 10th (Friday)

Aer Lingus:
    Passengers Fare p.p. - €47.00
    Taxes & Charges altogether - €82.90
    Max Handling Fee (excluding infants) p.p. = €4.00 - €8.00

TOTAL €173.80

Ryanair:
    Passengers Fare p.p. - €40.16
    Taxes & Charges Cost altogether - €71.10
    Max Handling Fee (excluding infants) inluded

TOTAL €111.26

Because the flight back is on a Friday, it costs more with EACH carrier. Still, thats a €60 difference between the two! That could almost be another flight on Ryanair!!!

What I don't understand is what the extra charges are for with Aer Lingus. Its very misleading to think you'll get flights for a few euro's and some tax, but to have 2 tax levies, and the standard one more than your competitor, beggars belief.

Also, you don't know it until you select flights that the €3 flights are only on Tuesday's Wednesday's and Thursday's flying out.

Aren't all flight carriers paying the same duty/airport taxes rates?

Aer Lingus is NOT value for money in my opinion.

Seanie.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Err it did say the offer was for people travelling on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday ffs !!!! You're flying home on a Friday !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,185 ✭✭✭kensutz

I;m trying to get a flight over for the boxing day games but the earliest I can get in to Stansted is 12:35 which although the prices are cheap enough I'd be struggling to get to Norwich for the 3pm kick off

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

i took a calculator to this one to make sure :D

€137.90 for the air lingus flights
    thats based on the way you added up the ryanair one [a diff of 26eu]
    or 151.42
    based on the way you added up air lingus a diff of about 22eu

you dont work for ryanair do you? ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 34,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Chalk wrote:
    i took a calculator to this one to make sure :D

€137.90 for the air lingus flights
    thats based on the way you added up the ryanair one [a diff of 26eu]
    or 151.42
    based on the way you added up air lingus a diff of about 22eu

you dont work for ryanair do you? ;)

The price quoted in the first post was only for one flight

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'd pay the extra and go Aer Lingus myself. I've just flown my last Ryanair flight if I can help it.

They'll have ads along the aisles like Dublin Bus, and constant ads over the intercom next, wait till you see.

We were 25 minutes early. I thought the cabin supervisor was going to wet himself with the excitement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭hairball

well, I'm on a flight to copenhagen on the 14th Dec...cost 25 quid:)...including taxes

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Yep try to avoid Ryanair at all costs as well. Their planes just don't sound right ! I remember I bought my last Car from a Garage out in Cloghran and the guy on the forecourt could tell the Ryanair planes as they flew overhead cause they had a "different sound" :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

gandalf wrote:
    Yep try to avoid Ryanair at all costs as well. Their planes just don't sound right ! I remember I bought my last Car from a Garage out in Cloghran and the guy on the forecourt could tell the Ryanair planes as they flew overhead cause they had a "different sound" :eek:

Probably due to the fact that Ryanair still use older (hence noisier) B737-200s as opposed to their competitors newer and quieter -400s, -500s, A321s and the like.

My sister lives a mile off the end of Runway 28 at Dub and I can tell when a heavy jet is going overhead cos they make one hell of a racket struggling up into the sky...

Anyway, back OT.

I checked Ryanair to Stansted for a daytrip on the 28th (Spurs vs Palace). Price was €95 last night, just booked for €78 now. Same flights, same airline, same destination, same day. You'd think the price would go up the nearer you get to the day...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Well if the flight is empty-ish they'll reduce the price I'd guess... supply and demand and all of that.

John

Lump wrote:
    Well if the flight is empty-ish they'll reduce the price I'd guess... supply and demand and all of that.

John

Yeah, but overnight? For a bank holiday? Thats four weeks away?

Just surprised thats all. Who am I to complain, I'm nearly €20 better off... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

The price quoted in the first post was only for one flight
    i thought p.p. meant per person..... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

gandalf wrote:
    Err it did say the offer was for people travelling on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday ffs !!!! You're flying home on a Friday !

Yes, it did... when I went to actually book the flights, and not before!

Seanie M wrote:

What I don't understand is what the extra charges are for with Aer Lingus. Its very misleading to think you'll get flights for a few euro's and some tax, but to have 2 tax levies, and the standard one more than your competitor, beggars belief.

Did either site give you a breakdown of the charges?

Remember, its taxes and charges...that include landing fees. Each airline may have a different deal negotiated with the two airports (new route discounts and the like).

Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

seamus wrote:
    We were 25 minutes early. I thought the cabin supervisor was going to wet himself with the excitement.

they're always early. they over quote the flight time so when you get there they say "Wow, we're 35 mins early!" and it makes them seem better and ppl in a hurry will generally pick them a second time! they usually quote twice the flight time of aer lingus anyway. Lyin feckers!!

/me shakes fist

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Did either site give you a breakdown of the charges?

Remember, its taxes and charges...that include landing fees. Each airline

Not really on the Aer Lingus one, but they did on the Ryanair one... don't know how Ryanair taxes are that bit cheaper...

Seanie M wrote:
    Not really on the Aer Lingus one, but they did on the Ryanair one... don't know how Ryanair taxes are that bit cheaper...

Like I said, each airline may have a different deal with the two airports. Aer Rianta used to give discounts of up to 90% IIRC for new business. Can't say if thats the only reason though.

Advertisement