Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota Corolla - Possible Timing Chain Problem

• 04-05-2012 7:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭

Hello all,

Recently got rid of the Honda Civic, and got a Toyota Corolla. Bought it last week, but the engine light was on, so they fixed it (something to do with the lamdba sensor). Picked it up on Wednesday, engine light was still on, but car drove grand. Was out of the country Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Car was okay Monday when I drove it again. Brought it back to the car sales place on Monday evening, and they fixed the engine light problem (the cause was something about too much electricity, or something when I turned the key?).

On thursday (yesterday) was driving it home from work, got to the top of my road, engine cut out (small dip in the road where I do a 3 point turn sometimes gets me). Went to start it again, but the engine just went chug-chug-chug-chug-chug-chug-chug-chug-chug-chug-chug-chug-chug-chug-chug-chug-chug but didn't start. Rolled it to my car space, and left it for 2 hours.

Went to pick up a mate, and after chugging 5 times, it started. Noticed a sound like a flat wheel, but when checked, all wheels were okay. Picked up mate, but engine died once more. Engine would not start, even after much chugging. Left it to cool, walked to shop, came back, engine still wouldn't start. Was able to get it started with a push start. Mate said that the noise sounded like the timing belt was out of alignment.

Today, engine started staight away, no weird noise from the engine. So far, so good.

But totally puzzled about wtf happened yesterday. Anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Same thing happened today. Both times (today and Thursday) it was not a cold start. The engine would be hot, and it would have just cut out due to me not putting enough gas going up a small hill, and when I would turn the key, it just wouldn't start (handbrake would be pulled at this stage). Both times the engine would turn over, but not start. Have been told it's not the starter motor.

Both times I only got it started with a hill/push start. It would then have a noise that sounded like a flat (the noise would be really apparent when I was slowing down to stop). Was told that one of the cylinders may not be working properly(?). Brought it home, and when I started it again after leaving it about 15-20 minutes, it started okay, and there was no unusual noises.

So Thursday evening; problems.
    Friday; grand all day.
    Saturday morning; problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Well you can rule out a timing chain problem or the 'cylinders not working properly':P

What has your temperature gauge been doing while this is happening, and hows your coolant level?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

more like your generator is dying.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

the_syco wrote: »
    but the engine light was on, so they fixed it (something to do with the lamdba sensor)
    the_syco wrote: »
    Brought it back to the car sales place on Monday evening, and they fixed the engine light problem (the cause was something about too much electricity

Sounds like they didn't fix anything. They just cleared the fault from the engine management system. Even an eejit (like me) with a €40 handheld OBD2 scanner can do that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭TPM

common cause of engine light on corolla is the air mass sensor but not like likely to cause the chug chug.
    Could be the vvti solenoid.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the comments. It went again earlier today, and I got it going with the help of a jump-start.

When the cars were hooked up, I turned the key, and it went chug-chug, so pushed the accelerator a bit and this helped start the engine.

At the very start of the video, and also at 00:20 and 00:41 and 00:56 you'll hear the weird noise that I'm on about.

Not sure about the temp gauge when all this was happening, but it wouldn't have been above the half-way mark at any given time (I'd notice it if it was). Coolant level, not sure. Will check it out tomorrow. Sign on the inside of the bonnet says to change the coolant at 160,000km, and currently the clock says 123,000km or so.
    unkel wrote: »
    Sounds like they didn't fix anything. They just cleared the fault from the engine management system.
    Aye.

Anyhoos, not going to use the car anymore, and I'll (hopefully) be able to drive it into the garage and get them have a look at it during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭TPM

Is looks like it is only making the noise after you press the clutch, is this the case?

TPM wrote: »
    Is looks like it is only making the noise after you press the clutch, is this the case?
    It gets very loud when I press the clutch. I've noticed it when the car is going slowly, though, but it wouldn't be as loud. It would only be making the noise after I needed to jump-start the car or get a rolling/push start. I remember on Thursday, after getting the rolling/push start, the noise could be heard when the car wasn't going that fast on the way home.

Advertisement