Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Throwers and throws coaching

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭madon

If you wanted to coach Shot or discuss how would you go about doing it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

madon wrote: »
    If you wanted to coach Shot or discuss how would you go about doing it?

1. If you know something about it get yourself down to your local club. Tell them you want to coach. They'll be delighted to have your help, especially if you can make a regular commitment.

2. Depending on the club, the head coach there ought to be able to point you in the right direction. Otherwise pick up the phone to your local RDO and ask him about courses and qualifications.

3. But the main thing is, if you've got enthusiasm and really wish to help throwers, or potential throwers, you'll be a godsend.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

RoyMcC wrote: »
    3. But the main thing is, if you've got enthusiasm and really wish to help throwers, or potential throwers, you'll be a godsend.

Absolutely....

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭electrictrad

if you've got enthusiasm and really wish to help throwers, or potential throwers, you'll be a godsend.

Can't agree more. . .every volunteer helps keep the sport alive

Listen, just a shout out for the throwers, especially the juniors who get forgotton during this winter season. . .let's not forget that we're likely to have 4 or 5 throwers at the Euro Juniors later in the year. . .Pons and Hanlon will both be around or above 50m in the discus. . .Doyle and Hickey are over 15m already in the shot. . .Barry, Doyle, McCabe, Furlong, and Campion will be over or above 60m in the hammer, and who'd bet against Oosthousen breaking 60m in the javelin. . .as well as some very talented juveniles. . . it's gonna be a fantastic summer for throwing!

"moved" this as it was going to drown in the other thread...
    I kinda agree...
    Discus...Pons and Hanlon both have a great chance of making standard...but I'd guess only one will be picked at most.
    Shot Putt....junior men's standard is 17.60m with 6k....I'd love to see someone get that distance, but I just can't see it...Doyle threw 16.15m in the AAA's...can't see him improving a meter and half before July...16m is already good throwing...
    hammer...We could have a few male hammer throwers who could get the standard of 66m....including McGuigan from Finn Valley who you missed in your name check

But what about the ladies?
    Kennedy could make it in the hammer (55m)
    Maloney could make it in the Shot depending on how much Shot work she is doing in US but 13.85m is a big ask
    I'm not seeing any other females coming close...

but yeah, could have good competitions during the year.....real dept in the Junior Men's Hammer...if everyone turns up 55m would probably be need for top8...65m to be in contention for a medal...
    Schools Senior boys hammer could be a cracker also....campion is gone from school but I think there is still enough to have a situation where 50m+ could be needed for top6 there.

roll on the fine weather and the outdoor season...

• Advertisement

Upcoming throws coaching...

a few coaching sessions including all throws in Munster over the next couple of weeks...

http://www.corkathletics.org/

But what about the ladies?
    Kennedy could make it in the hammer (55m)
    Maloney could make it in the Shot depending on how much Shot work she is doing in US but 13.85m is a big ask
    I'm not seeing any other females coming close...

but yeah, could have good competitions during the year.....real dept in the Junior Men's Hammer...if everyone turns up 55m would probably be need for top8...65m to be in contention for a medal...
    Schools Senior boys hammer could be a cracker also....campion is gone from school but I think there is still enough to have a situation where 50m+ could be needed for top6 there.

roll on the fine weather and the outdoor season...

I agree with ya, I should've mentioned the ladies; Cara has a good chance. . .but I'd bet on only one qualifier at most in the ladies. . . all the potential competitors at European level are too young. . .I see us with three or four women at the Euro's in 3 or 4 years. . .its funny how all the contenders in the womens are Munster athletes. . .

The hammer is unbelieveable at the moment, lets hope that they push each other over the 66m . . .I don't see McGuigan being picked over the likes of Doyle or Barry even if he does get the standard. . .age will come into play if we have more than 3. . .

The hammer is unbelieveable at the moment, lets hope that they push each other over the 66m . . .I don't see McGuigan being picked over the likes of Doyle or Barry even if he does get the standard. . .age will come into play if we have more than 3. . .

Not surprised to hear that electrictrad. A couple of years ago I attended (as a coach) a hammer masterclass led by Paddy McGrath at Santry. The turnout of athletes was such that the group had to be split with Phil Conway. There were some great guys and gals there - enthusiastic, gagging to improve. If a few of these are now breaking through then I'm delighted :) (admin, need 'delighted' smiley.)

Pat_O%27Callaghan.jpg

Sorry, weak moment. Couldn't resist posting Pat O'Callaghan, Olympic hammer gold medallist in Amsterdam 1928. May he be an inspiration to our present day throwers.

(1928, a rare claim for Jersey success at the Olympics. Cyril Gill led off the GB 4 x 100m team who won the bronze. Cyril is buried in Gouray churchyard in Jersey.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 stupidrobot

Good weekend of throwing ahead to get the season started, a Kerry AAI Open competition on Friday, seems they have all field events and a few runs, event is permitted and I think Claire Fitzgerald is trying for the U23 discus standard.
    On Monday the Dr. O'Callaghan Cup is being held in Wexford, everything from U16 to O70. Organisers are trying to get a permit for that as well as DMP and a few surrounding clubs have some athletes looking for the Junior marks in hammer and discus, with a lack of permitted competitions a few athletes have already had to start traveling to Scotland etc to hunt qualifying marks.

• Advertisement

Thanks SR, we'll rely on you reporting back with the highlights next week.

It's only the dedicated throwers that will have trained through the winter and they'll get their rewards now the season's here. So much more pleasant to be in the circle or on the runway with the sun shining. I was coaching a bit of hammer on Tuesday evening and sudenly the cage was surrounded - 'can we have a go at that?' Long may it continue.

Not much Irish connection here but the throwers might like this (and we're winding down for the long weekend.)

Tuesday evening at our track an U20 lad was throwing discus, name of Lawrence Okaye from Croydon. He's the training partner of our top boy around about the same age. He's a big lad but still a raw talent. Most of his throws were slamming into the cage but he eventually nailed one. It was with the senior 2kg weight and it went a mile. Unusually their coach (John Hillier) called for a measure - fortunately the discus had left a nice mark on landing. It was 64 metres which, in competition, would have put him top of the GB senior rankings for 2010.

Looking forward to see what he produces over the course of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Not much Irish connection here but the throwers might like this (and we're winding down for the long weekend.)

Tuesday evening at our track an U20 lad was throwing discus, name of Lawrence Okaye from Croydon. He's the training partner of our top boy around about the same age. He's a big lad but still a raw talent. Most of his throws were slamming into the cage but he eventually nailed one. It was with the senior 2kg weight and it went a mile. Unusually their coach (John Hillier) called for a measure - fortunately the discus had left a nice mark on landing. It was 64 metres which, in competition, would have put him top of the GB senior rankings for 2010.

Looking forward to see what he produces over the course of the season.

A mile = 1,609.344 metres. You need to brush up on either your imperial or metric measurements, I'm not sure which.
    Sorry I'm not working these days and I've too much time on my hands.

zico10 wrote: »
    A mile = 1,609.344 metres. You need to brush up on either your imperial or metric measurements, I'm not sure which.
    Sorry I'm not working these days and I've too much time on my hands.

At first I thought zico10 was just trolling when I saw that all their recent posts are in distance running threads. But then I thought if they really are from a distance background they probably don't know what a discus is ("is that the ball with the wire coming out of it or is that the short puck?") As such they probably don't understand how ridiculous it would be for a discus to go 1,609m and then became confused by a 1,545m discrepancy so we shouldn't be too harsh.
    You do need to brush up on your rhetoric though and learn about analogy. "He threw a mile" is the same as "He drove from the starting blocks" (he didn't actually get into a car and drive to the 100m finish line) or "he flew around the last lap" (he didn't actually grow wings, lift off the ground and fly over the heads of the other runners)
    And of course, welcome to the throws thread!

That is very, very impressive throwing RoyMcC! What's the technique like and how old is he?

Kerry Easter Open started with blistering heat (doesn't mean people actually broke out in blisters, just that it was warm) and ended with the place half flooded (doesn't mean...never mind).
    Claire threw 44m in the discus, Dan Clifford won the discus at 44m and shot at 13.77m, senior men's hammer won at 52.36m, Rachel and Alice Akers were at 51-52m with their respective weights in the hammer, I didn't see much more, results should be up on one of the Kerry sites by today or tomorrow.

Numbers are low but a few top athletes coming for the Dr. O'Callaghan on Monday. This is a great oppertunity for athletes to get some early season throwing done. If well supported the ITC can grow and put on more competitions, if poorly supported then it will provide less and less. It would be a terrible pity especially to lose the Dr. O'Callaghan competition from the program so if anyone can make it down to Wexford on Monday there is an event for almost everyone. Look for Irish Throwers Club on Facebook, support greatly appriciated!

Zico was only messing.

Okaye's technique? Considering he's new to the game, not bad. John Hillier is probably the best technical coach in GB - he's got connections with Jersey thus our little cluster of national-class performers. His discus throwers do endless throws into the cage, especially over the winter months, honing technique. That's certainly something I've learnt - there's not much future in forever slinging discs into the outfield and fetching them back. By the time you've done that once someone else has had a dozen throws into the cage.

Hope the sun brings a crowd out on Monday. Well done the ITC for keeping the flame alive. Can't find you on Facebook though :(

Sorry to zico if they were only messing but with runners you can never know:D

Powell, the American thrower, talked about "shagging" the discus at the end of a video someone showed once. No, it's not what you think! he'd stand in the outfield and throw the discus back for the guys who were throwing from the cage. So 10 guys would take 1 throw each and he'd take 10 throws. Throwing into the cage is a great idea.

Here's a link to the ITC events page for the competition, hope the mods don't mind.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/event.php?eid=203358253019019

Anyone know anything about Conor McCullough? I've seen on a forum post recently that he's not throwing this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Sorry to zico if they were only messing but with runners you can never know:D

No worries, nobody ever knows when I'm joking in real life either so it's okay. I assure you I know what a discus is and I realise even Superman would have a hard job throwing it a mile. He want one big f*** off stadium if nothing else.

But you're right I don't know a huge pile about throwing, although from the little I do know what Roy says sounds impressive. Should have said this first off.

zico10 wrote: »
    No worries, nobody ever knows when I'm joking in real life either so it's okay. I assure you I know what a discus is and I realise even Superman would have a hard job throwing it a mile. He want one big f*** off stadium if nothing else.

But you're right I don't know a huge pile about throwing, although from the little I do know what Roy says sounds impressive. Should have said this first off.

Haha, sorry about that then!

There is a silly clip on youtube of Steve Reeves as Hercules from a 60's movie literaly throwing the discus a mile from a standing throw, they get in a chariot to follow it.

The Olympic B standard in the Discus is 63m to put it in perspective!

Throwing into the cage is a great idea.

Best done with a rubber training discus of the correct weight, or you'll feck your proper implements.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭EdMoses

I have gotten involved in helping out with some coaching for a girls primary school who will be participating in the Dublin primary schools championships in June. In a previous life I had a background in hurdling so this was why I was drafted in. I've also tried to cover some of the other technical events with the girls using my limited knowledge of same. My question is this. One of the girls on her first attempt at the 2kg shot made a throw of 7m 60. Compared to all of the other kids she was miles ahead. It was just a tryout so we haven't had an opportunity to do any work on technique etc yet. Just wondering does this show potential of some sort? It looked pretty good to me. She's a very clever kid and I think would respond well to being coached. Would it be worth my time getting someone from a local club to give her a few tips or is it something I might be able to do myself? Many thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

EdMoses wrote: »
    I have gotten involved in helping out with some coaching for a girls primary school who will be participating in the Dublin primary schools championships in June. In a previous life I had a background in hurdling so this was why I was drafted in. I've also tried to cover some of the other technical events with the girls using my limited knowledge of same. My question is this. One of the girls on her first attempt at the 2kg shot made a throw of 7m 60. Compared to all of the other kids she was miles ahead. It was just a tryout so we haven't had an opportunity to do any work on technique etc yet. Just wondering does this show potential of some sort? It looked pretty good to me. She's a very clever kid and I think would respond well to being coached. Would it be worth my time getting someone from a local club to give her a few tips or is it something I might be able to do myself? Many thanks.

I say this is a very good idea. Having some extra attention from a coach will give her a great boost confidence wise not to mention the tips they can offer both the athlete and also tips for you to coach her in the furture regarding drills etc

<quote>One of the girls on her first attempt at the 2kg shot made a throw of 7m 60.<quote>

Sounds pretty good for a first attempt, but it depends on the age of the girl also to some extent, but even if she was at the older end of primary school age its still pretty decent.
    but also, was she throwing it correctly, its possible to launch it "ball throw" like a good distance with the elbow leading the throw. that would lead to elbow injury and being called foul in a proper competition.

But yeah, if the girl is interested in doing more shot putt, then please try and get her exposure to a decent (or even half decent) coach as soon as possible before any bad habits form. One/two sessions now to get the basics right can save a whole heap of grief later.

you should find a list of clubs on the athletics ireland site or the dublin athletics site.

Best of luck.....you might provide an update in the near future?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭EdMoses

<quote>One of the girls on her first attempt at the 2kg shot made a throw of 7m 60.<quote>

Sounds pretty good for a first attempt, but it depends on the age of the girl also to some extent, but even if she was at the older end of primary school age its still pretty decent.
    but also, was she throwing it correctly, its possible to launch it "ball throw" like a good distance with the elbow leading the throw. that would lead to elbow injury and being called foul in a proper competition.

But yeah, if the girl is interested in doing more shot putt, then please try and get her exposure to a decent (or even half decent) coach as soon as possible before any bad habits form. One/two sessions now to get the basics right can save a whole heap of grief later.

you should find a list of clubs on the athletics ireland site or the dublin athletics site.

Best of luck.....you might provide an update in the near future?

Cheers for that. The girl in question has just turned 11 and is a bit of an all rounder. I have a little bit of prior experience so I was able to show the girls, as best I could, some sort of basic technique. In spite of that quite a few of them still resorted to the ball throw that you mention. As I've said she's a very clever girl and seemed to take on board everything I was saying. Her technique looked quite good to my untrained eye. I only got a chance to measure her first attempt which was 7.60 but I'm pretty sure her second attempt was over 8m. She seems really keen so will definitely follow it up and try to get a coach in to have a look. Important as you say to iron out any bad habits. Thanks for that and I'll keep you posted if there's anything to report. Ed.

I see Claire Fitzgerald threw 14.08m in the IUAA.
    From what I can see this is a new PB for her and puts her up to 5th in the all time list.
    She also won javelin in 38.48m which isn't too shabby either.

Great to see her back at her best after some injury issues last year.

Just seen that Cara Kennedy has Euro Junior Standard in the hammer of 55.80m. . .congrats to her, and to all involved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

Clonliffe's Beast from the East, Tomas Rauktys, putt the shot 16.83m at the Dublin Graded in Irishtown last night. Big PB for Tomas.

On a coaching side, Tomas has been working with some of the Regional Development squads and passing on the Lithuanian take on discus throwing during the past few months.

thirtyfoot wrote: »
    Clonliffe's Beast from the East, Tomas Rauktys, putt the shot 16.83m at the Dublin Graded in Irishtown last night. Big PB for Tomas.

On a coaching side, Tomas has been working with some of the Regional Development squads and passing on the Lithuanian take on discus throwing during the past few months.

You're now a born again thrower TF :) That's good throwing - would place him 12th in the 2010 GB rankings (which is where I tend to look first for comparisons.) Is discus his no.1 event?

Whatever - the last graded shot competition I officiated at Irishtown consisted of a disability athlete and two girls :( Things can only improve.

Well done to Kennedy for getting the standard for the European Juniors (I did predict it earlier in this thread:) )

and also to Colin Quirke..recent discus throw of 54.86m is inside the qualifying standard for the European U23 to be held in Czech Republic in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭longjump67

Great to see this thread up an so many having such good input.
    Have a daughter who is competing in the throws (shot & Javelin), she has a very good coach and I put in a bit of time myself at home. She is a juvenile U-13 and has already medaled in the All-Ireland indoors, and the way she's shaping up at the Javelin think she can do very well in the summer. I see the championship record for her age is 29m+, dont think she is capable of that but a 24- 25m distance would be achevieable. 21m+ won the All-Ireland's last year with an average winning distance of 23m or so. She also is getting close to 10m in the shot.

think it cant be stressed to much how a good coach has helped her, she is by no means a large girl, in fact she is average build. The technique she has learned over the last year or so enables her to be competitive with larger, stronger girls. also she has the disadvantage to be born in December which makes her among the youngest in her age-group, less than 2 weeks from being in the lower age-group.

• Advertisement

longjump67 wrote: »
    Great to see this thread up an so many having such good input.
    Have a daughter who is competing in the throws (shot & Javelin), she has a very good coach and I put in a bit of time myself at home. She is a juvenile U-13 and has already medaled in the All-Ireland indoors, and the way she's shaping up at the Javelin think she can do very well in the summer. I see the championship record for her age is 29m+, dont think she is capable of that but a 24- 25m distance would be achevieable. 21m+ won the All-Ireland's last year with an average winning distance of 23m or so. She also is getting close to 10m in the shot.

think it cant be stressed to much how a good coach has helped her, she is by no means a large girl, in fact she is average build. The technique she has learned over the last year or so enables her to be competitive with larger, stronger girls. also she has the disadvantage to be born in December which makes her among the youngest in her age-group, less than 2 weeks from being in the lower age-group.

Great to hear! Without a doubt even basic coaching will soon deliver benefits to a youngster who is willing and has the patience to listen and practice. At that young age it is often the bigger ones who will prevail but a good basic technique and reasonable physical fitness together will put any young athlete in a good position.

Girls most often have the patience to learn in my experience. Give a young lad a javelin and they just want to wing it any old how and often aren't interested in a coach breaking down the throw into its component parts.

You're obviously very proud of your daughter. Beware of getting too excited as one day she will most likely find something better to do - I've been there :( Enjoy and encourage while it lasts.

Advertisement