Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Learning about being a horse owner

• 08-08-2012 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Hi

I recently got back into horse riding after about 10 years not riding much at all, before that I did lessons for about 4 years and helped out at stables on weekends and sometimes during holidays. I remember how to do some basic horse care tasks but have not put them into practice for a long time

I've been doing lessons for last few weeks and gradually improving and learning how to ride again. My long term plan is to own my own horse but do a horse share/loan before that.

Before I go into a horse share/loan I really need and want more experience taking care of horses and learning how to do everything involved like feeding, grooming, washing horse, catching and turning out, putting on rugs, mucking out and replacing bedding properly and the many other things I have not thought of.

I was wondering if anyone here who owns a horse would be able to give me the opportunity to help them with their horse to learn these skills. I do learn fast and I purely want to do the work/help in exchange for the knowledge and learning horse care it would give me.

I live in South Dublin so anywhere in in South Dublin or areas of Wicklow nearish here would be perfect, I have a car so can get anywhere within a reasonable distance. Even if I could come one day a week or a few hours a week or even just a few hours now and again it would be great. I am not expecting anything like an opportunity to ride a horse, I just really want to learn the horse care side of things. It might someone who wants a bit of a hand with their horse sometimes or someone who would like to pass on their skills and knowledge.

Thanks a mill, hope someone can help me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Most yards are happy with an extra pair of hands a couple of hours a wk! Why don't you contact a couple of stables & see if they can accomodate you?

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭silverfox88

PM'd you there marmite:)

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭ilovemarmite

Thanks silverfox sent you a pm back there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Angelmangle

It might be worth your while looking into doing the stable management part of the BHS exams. Perhaps just stage 1 and 2. There are a few places where you can do this part time at night and at the weekends and it will give you a good basis when it comes to horse care and management.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭ilovemarmite

It might be worth your while looking into doing the stable management part of the BHS exams. Perhaps just stage 1 and 2. There are a few places where you can do this part time at night and at the weekends and it will give you a good basis when it comes to horse care and management.

Thanks, I'd like to do it in the future, do you know how long it takes to do as I am doing a degree at night at moment so that takes up two nights a week Sept-May and have exams and assignments in that. Would it take a year or less or more? Any idea of how much it costs?

• Advertisement
Advertisement