Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog parks, walks, beaches etc in Cork

• 03-07-2012 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi there. Does anyone have any suggestions of dog friendly parks/walks etc. in Cork? I have a mini dachshund who is very active and loves to be outside. Our normal routine of walking around the general Douglas area is getting a bit mundane for him (and me as well).

I'm originally from the states and we have dedicated dog parks where dogs get let off their leads for play with one and other. I've noticed there's nothing like that here. Is there something I don't know about? Or am I being just way too American here?

In any case, all suggestions/ideas are welcome. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Hi!

You may have been there already but Ballinlough Park just off the Douglas Road is nice for dog walking.

The Lee Fields is also a good spot.

The Mangla in Douglas Village is nice too but it's not that long.

A lot of people walk the old railway line from Blackrock, I haven't done this one yet.

The Atlantic Pond and Marina area in Blackrock is also quite nice :).

If you have a car Mrtyleville/Fountainstown isn't too far away from Douglas. I brought Cato (my dog) there a few months ago and he loved it! Lots of rocky bits to climb.

Hope this was helpful! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

There's a lovely walk just off the Rochestown Road - look out for a car park on the left hand side just before you come to the Rochestown Inn. The path splits about 0.25km in and you can walk from there either out to Blackrock Castle or to the Atlantic Pond. It can be a bit busy in the evenings though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Hi there. Does anyone have any suggestions of dog friendly parks/walks etc. in Cork? I have a mini dachshund who is very active and loves to be outside. Our normal routine of walking around the general Douglas area is getting a bit mundane for him (and me as well).

I'm originally from the states and we have dedicated dog parks where dogs get let off their leads for play with one and other. I've noticed there's nothing like that here. Is there something I don't know about? Or am I being just way too American here?

In any case, all suggestions/ideas are welcome. Thanks!

Do you have a car?
    How far/long are you willing to drive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Don't know where in the City you are, but Garryvoe beach just past Castlemartyr is good. Lovely quiet beach and you can walk for miles when the tide's out. Plenty of parking.

Garrettstown (just past Kinsale) is also great. Nice sandy beach with little coves and sand dunes.

Cork City? The Glen is a great place to walk your dog. You can also go on the Straight Road (on your way to Ballincollig).

There's also a nice walk at Blackrock Observatory, along the river. It's all paved and I think you can walk to Rochestown from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Farran woods is also a great spot, my dog loves a swim in the lake on a warm day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭carav10

Rochestown Woods - coming along the south ring from the aiport side, take the exit for Carrigaline, then take the first exit off, turn left at the bottom, and first right, up the hill, and the entrance to Rochestown woods is more or less straight in front of you. Pretty much beside the Garryduff Sports Centre. And close to Douglas. It's a bit of a walk in to reach the woods themselves but nice walking in there.

After that,
    - Ballincollig Regional park,
    - Rostellan Woods over Cloyne direction,
    - Currabinny near Ringaskiddy,
    - Marlogue Woods over Cobh direction,
    - Farran Forest Park,
    - little bit out of Cork over near Crookstown on the Killarney rd - Warrenscourt Woods.
    - Ballinora Woods off Curraheen rd out the Ballincollig road but I think this is now private, sold by Coillte and not too dog friendly maybe, not sure.
    -Moanbaun Woods at Watergrasshill.
    - if it's a weekend and you feel like something different and a bit further, then you've got Garretstown Woods at Ballinspittle, Courtmacsherry woods (this goes out along the headland by the coast - fab walk), Castlefreke woods.

And then plenty more out the east side of cork. Obviously depends if you have transport! Have a look at the orienteering ireland website for events in Cork and you'll find a long list of woods!

Not much of a clue about within the city itself apart from along the river to Blackrock.

carav10 wrote: »
    Rochestown Woods - coming along the south ring from the aiport side, take the exit for Carrigaline, then take the first exit off, turn left at the bottom, and first right, up the hill, and the entrance to Rochestown woods is more or less straight in front of you. Pretty much beside the Garryduff Sports Centre. And close to Douglas. It's a bit of a walk in to reach the woods themselves but nice walking in there.

Is there any chance you could post a Google maps link to that area? :) I live fairly nearby but don't know the Rochestown area that well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Cork city council
    Services » Recreation, Amenity & Culture at link

http://www.corkcity.ie/services/recreationamenityculture/parks/

also glen river park in the glen , car park on the Ballyhooly Road
    next to keatings fitted furniture store

220px-View_of_Glen_River_Park%2C_Cork_city.jpg
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Glen,_Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭carav10

Is there any chance you could post a Google maps link to that area? :) I live fairly nearby but don't know the Rochestown area that well.

Here you go, hope the link works https://maps.google.ie/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=214403257198099897338.0004c4641d6d4fa08a270

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Took a trip to Rochestown Woods on Saturday for the first time. I have to say it's a real hidden treasure, very pretty! Running water and everything down there, Cato had a blast :). Lovely walk!

396063_10150959980383371_1814506487_n.jpg

• Advertisement

Looks gorgeous there, I'll definitely be checking it out. Lovely dog too :)

Thanks for posting the map link carav10.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Was looking for new and exciting places to take the dogs and I am delighted to come across this thread, I've been to quite a few of the places mentioned but there are a good few I haven't been to. Looking forward to checking them out soon.
    I sometimes take my dog for a walk in Little Island Harbour Point walk http://www.walkjogrun.net/routes/current_route.cfm?rid=5837C370-B494-5750-22D4BD407EB384F9 (note-It is a walk around a water treatment plant)
    And Ballyannan woods very near to Midleton is lovely. http://www.coillteoutdoors.ie/?id=53&rec_site=147
    http://www.coillteoutdoors.ie/ is good to find places. Actually just came accross it earlier this evening and there are a few woods I haven't been to before.
    Corrin Woods near Fermoy is nice but make sure you go the long way round otherwise I think it is too short especially if you have to travel plus there are less people on the long way!
    Kilworth Woods on the other side of Fermoy is well worth the trip
    If you are willing to travel Glengarra woods between Mitchelstown and Cahir is Fab, you could walk hours there.

Will add more if I think of any.

Now that the evenings are getting darker (boo) most of the usual places I walk will be off limits except at weekends, as they aren't lit up after dark.

Can anyone recommend a few places that have lighting and are safe to walk in after dark? I'm pretty sure The Lough is well lit. What about the Lee fields? It's so long since i've been there I can't remember.

Someone also mentioned a playing field out near Curraheen Park that has a nice walk around it.. anyone ever walked there dog there after dark?

Advertisement