Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it Now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

A couple of quick questions, if I may.

I believe your triathlon is sometime in May, which makes that 10 to 14 weeks out, so I'm wondering if you will follow a training plan in preparation for this event?

Did you follow training programs in preparation for marathons past?

Besides the triathlon you're nailing in 10 to 14 weeks from now (so excited!), do you have your sights set on any other events?

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Dory Dory wrote: »
    A couple of quick questions, if I may.

I believe your triathlon is sometime in May, which makes that 10 to 14 weeks out, so I'm wondering if you will follow a training plan in preparation for this event?

Did you follow training programs in preparation for marathons past?

Besides the triathlon you're nailing in 10 to 14 weeks from now (so excited!), do you have your sights set on any other events?

:)

Entering the Sprint Tri was a side-effect of the non-impact training I've been doing, and really down to location (I spend a lot of time in Valentia). Ditto the Duathlon I've entered at the beginning of May, its very local to me, I run the route often. But I'm not following any plan- once I get back running I'll drop into a 10k plan, run the key sessions, and use the bike/swim on the other days. Although we'll how this pans out, as you know, and I'm becoming aware, Tri training allows greater intensity, as different muscle groups are targeted/rested.

Previous marathons, I've followed a plan. The first few were Runners World beginner/intermediate, which brought me to 3:10. The next couple of times I've followed P&D <55mile, and <70 mile, which got me fit for interim hill races, but I blew up each time in the marathon. So for the moment I'm happy to enjoy the training I'm doing now, and see where it takes me.

I want to run a few hill races over the summer, get down my 10k, 5k, mile times, and run the Dingle marathon in Sept (its a hilly one which will suit me).

Wed 4.1k swim

This felt great. I did the 4k without stopping (except for a quick muscle stretch and goggle adjust towards the end). When I reached 1k, I targeted 1.5, then 2k. I felt good at this stage, was just coasting along at circa 20mins/k pace. Made it to 2.5k, and kept it up for the 3k, just under an hour. Figured I'd try and get to Ironman distance, which I thought was either 3.2k or 3.8k (its 3.86k, just checked), and plugged away to make 4k, in just over 80 mins all told. I had some issues with leg cramps towards the end, but my upper body felt good and strong, and could have gone on a bit more but for the cramps.

I'm happy to have got this distance without issue- a couple of weeks ago I thought 1k was a long swim- but I'd be lying if I said I didn't have Dory's 6k swim on my mind;)

Wed 4.1k swim

This felt great. I did the 4k without stopping (except for a quick muscle stretch and goggle adjust towards the end). When I reached 1k, I targeted 1.5, then 2k. I felt good at this stage, was just coasting along at circa 20mins/k pace. Made it to 2.5k, and kept it up for the 3k, just under an hour. Figured I'd try and get to Ironman distance, which I thought was either 3.2k or 3.8k (its 3.86k, just checked), and plugged away to make 4k, in just over 80 mins all told. I had some issues with leg cramps towards the end, but my upper body felt good and strong, and could have gone on a bit more but for the cramps.

I'm happy to have got this distance without issue- a couple of weeks ago I thought 1k was a long swim- but I'd be lying if I said I didn't have Dory's 6k swim on my mind;)

Holy crap!! May I just say that you are one bloody amazing mess of an athlete! Seriously impressed...and for some reason slightly proud.... Wow. I have to ask....did you get into that rhythm that led to the Zen-like place I was talking about?? And if so, did you find that it was actually easier (less effort) to keep going than it was to stop? It all becomes mechanical/automatic....and so rhythmic. I will repeat an earlier exclamation - you are not to be underestimated. :)

I have to ask....did you get into that rhythm that led to the Zen-like place I was talking about?? And if so, did you find that it was actually easier (less effort) to keep going than it was to stop? It all becomes mechanical/automatic....and so rhythmic.

Between 750m-1.5k was a bit of a struggle for some reason, but after that it just became a matter of swim and turn, swim and turn. Counting off the lengths became counting off the half k's, and indeed I think I hit that effortless Nirvana that you talked about earlier. But for the muscles starting to cramp a bit, I'd have kept going. It feels so right to just keep on swimming when the stroke is like this.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

28jgrrt.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Wed 4.1k swim

Jaysus..a 4.1km swim for "fun"???

Soon you'll be lining up with some of those Iron freaks that are known to frequent these parts...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,492 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Izoard wrote: »
    Soon you'll be lining up with some of those Iron freaks that are known to frequent these parts...
    Nah, sure that would mean having to do the occasional run.

Izoard wrote: »
    Jaysus..a 4.1km swim for "fun"???

Not a chance! Whatever ability I might have to do each distance individually, I'd never string them all together. Plus, I grumble at paying €25-ish for race entry, no way I'd fork out the €XXX to the Ironman brand :D
    Nah, sure that would mean having to do the occasional run.

I only take advice from triathletes these days. In your case I'll make an exception, since you wear those Oakleys like a fully-fledged Tri poseur :p. Run in the next few days.

Plus, I grumble at paying €25-ish for race entry, no way I'd fork out the €XXX to the Ironman brand :D

Enter stage left....one Ironman sugar momma....
    You pick the race, I'll pay the fee...and even let you keep the shirt. ;)

• Advertisement

Enter stage left....one Ironman sugar momma....
    You pick the race, I'll pay the fee...and even let you keep the shirt. ;)

Ironman Hawaii. I'll needs flights (bringing wife and kids), hotel (4*), bike flight transfer (Ryanair, €1000), Mdot tattoo on forehead, and misc. drinking money. I have some lube, and I can borrow the Oakleys from Krusty. Thanks, yer a mate.:D

PS can you send the money in dollars?

Sadly, the closest I've ever come to Oakleys, is a pair of Okeleys I bought the last time I was in China. The first sunny day, the paint peeled and the sun burnt my retinas. Best $1.29 I ever spent.

Sadly, the closest I've ever come to Oakleys, is a pair of Okeleys I bought the last time I was in China. The first sunny day, the paint peeled and the sun burnt my retinas. Best $1.29 I ever spent.

I can't go to Hawaii without Oakleys! Deal's off, you've just saved Dory a small fortune.

Should have known you weren't a poseur. No matter how much I try to blacken your name on this forum, the evidence points to you being a decent sort. What's with the glasses on the head; do they hold down a hairpiece? (Really must borrow them)

I can't go to Hawaii without Oakleys! Deal's off, you've just saved Dory a small fortune.

Should have known you weren't a poseur. No matter how much I try to blacken your name on this forum, the evidence points to you being a decent sort. What's with the glasses on the head; do they hold down a hairpiece? (Really must borrow them)
    You should get a Rooney. Only £2.50 per follicle. A tenner would afford you more hair than Homer Simpson. The sunglasses actually keep my ears attached to the side of my face (something funny I ate in China).

)

Lucky for you the deal's off....I was planning on keeping the t-shirt if it was Hawaii. ;)

Fri 22k bike

My nose is like a tap, and I'm pretty chesty, as this cold refuses to budge. One of the kids has Chinenpox too, so there's a battle between humans and virus at my gaf. It didn't stop me going out for a spin to embrace a beautiful start of Spring evening, birds singing, the first blossoms out, all snot rockets on target: divine.

I'm in a quandry on what to do as regards running. My knee feels stronger than it has in ages, so much so that I've realised just how much I've been compensating for its pain when I run. Fitness wise, I feel great, the swims and bikes are working the muscles and cardiovascular areas, that base training should. I've no goal races in the next few weeks, so I'm considering continuing to stay off the knee for another week, to give it a real chance to heal. We'll see, trail running is great around here in early Spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I'd take a runny nose over this blasted cough.

Dude 4.1k swim, thats just sick. Well done all the same. I predict some plain old envy as you apply some old speed to that kind of swim.

Good to see you are enjoying the bike too. Variety is the spice of life :)

Get well soon

Sun 49k bike

Well, the cold has mutated to a hacking cough. The only good thing is I know its near an end, and in some ways surviving a good dose makes you stronger. It certainly makes you appreciate good health, anyway.

Today's was good long spin on hilly backroads, where I got to make full use of my three cranks. Up around Mullinacuff, through to Clonmore, Milltown, Coolkenno, Clonmore, Mullinacuff, Tinahely, and home. Only a local would know half those names!

Almost home, and I came upon a herd of cattle on the road, cars stopped, etc. No sign of anyone driving them (the cattle that is). One cow started coming for me, so I slowed right down, went to put my foot down to stop, realized I was clipped in...feck! I started to keel over, and was about to accept my first ever fall, when my foot just shot out in time and steadied me. The cow took shock at this, turned around, and running back the way he came. Of course, this caused panic among the rest, so a general stampede occurred, with cows running around the cars in all directions, some of them fighting their way through the briars and over hedges into the fields...mayhem. I walked the bike along the road (no point in staying put, there was cattle on all sides), until I saw one very disgruntled farmer standing by a gate. Whatever about crossing the road with a herd (which has to be done sometimes), to let over a hundred cattle make their own way along 300m of roads is a bit much.

And I'm sure it didn't help the farmer's mood any that the cause of the stampede was wearing Lycra. ;)

And I'm sure it didn't help the farmer's mood any that the cause of the stampede was wearing Lycra. ;)

Dayglo lycra:). I gave him a loud and cheery "howsitgoin'" as I passed, but he wouldn't even look at me. From the look on his face, he was too busy sucking wasps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Whatever about crossing the road with a herd (which has to be done sometimes), to let over a hundred cattle make their own way along 300m of roads is a bit much.

Ah comon now pop. Where I'm from the farmers let the cows and cattle out this time of year to eat down the plenty juicy grass on the road sides.
    You farmer basher;)

Abhainn wrote: »
    Ah comon now pop. Where I'm from the farmers let the cows and cattle out this time of year to eat down the plenty juicy grass on the road sides.
    You farmer basher;)

"I say, you there in the huge Massey Ferguson, take down that fence on your land at once! The public have a right to roam, do you hear me, a RIGHT TO ROAM! I'll set the authorities on you!"

Day one when I moved down here, with an American accent. It's been downhill ever since :D

Dayglo Lycra? And I'm guessing you wear it unapologetically. ;)

Mon 27th Feb 5000m swim

I had a good morning at work, so "celebrated" by taking a long lunch in the pool. The cough is still here, but didn't seem to bother me. First 2k went by easy enough, I got into a good rhythm. Kept it up until 3k, in about an hour.

I realized that my kick isn't all it could be; I'm kicking from the knees, and that's very inefficient, so I tried moving my calfs, and getting the power from them. Phenomenal, there was an instant difference in speed. I did about 500m working on this, before doing a set of 1 length slow, 1 length kick and pull hard. I'm going to have to work more on this technique, but there's a huge amount of extra force to be utilized. For someone bred on running, I should be getting more bang from my legs than I have been.

Did a few sets of slow Breast stroke, fast pull, that went well. Continued on to go past my previous 4.1k distance record, thought briefly about Yelena Isinbayeva, but kept going to 4.25k, then 4.5k. By this stage I was getting a few cramps etc., but had a quick stretch, and made up the 5k, in about 1:50 total time. No real rest, but "steady as she goes" meant none were needed. I'm going to start a bit more dedicated pool intervals from now.

You're giving me a run for my money, dayglo boy.

You're giving me a run for my money, dayglo boy.

Have to admit, I wasn't just thinking about Yelena Isinbayeva. You keep upping the stakes ;)

Have to admit, I wasn't just thinking about Yelena Isinbayeva. You keep upping the stakes ;)

Ahhh...and you make an appearance on my private island as well. I can do the conversions...you aren't that much behind me. I guess we'll just see how far we can take this. ;)

Mon pm 7k steady run

First run in a fortnight, and a good test for the knee. This started out quick, and stayed quick- I couldn't hold back after two weeks on the dry, no sirree. The route was along the flat and forgiving surface of the Railway Walk, where all gravel has been swallowed by firm mud and grass, a treat to run on. The legs and knee felt good, no issues at all in fact, although I'm expecting to get pain later. In fact, I expect to just have to deal with knee pain from here on in, until the pain-free slumber of the grave. But for the moment, I'm reveling in a-bit-of-pain-but-alivedness. I'll keep up the running this week, allied with swims and bikes, and will hopefully start into a structured 10k program next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Judging by your swimming prowess you must be tempted to move to the moniker manfromatlantis, but that it was already taken. Most people can't run further than you can swim now! Bravo.

• Advertisement

He runs too? Is there no end to his talents?!
    Good to hear the knee is on the mend. I'll get you to do up my swim/cycle/knee recovery program when I'm finished with this blasted marathon.

Advertisement