Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness tastes like swill: Discuss

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

The problem with Guiness Draught is that its quality can vary dramatically from one pub to another, thats why I drink Large Bottels.

I wouldn't agree now a few years ago yes the quality did differ significantly, but not now, Diageo have invested millions in the last 10 years for consistency, I think they nailed it.

But I heard the nicest Gxxx is when the Tap the cooler and the keg are all close together. My bro got a keg for a party and all of a sudden he was my favourite brother, it nearly killed us, but it was beautiful Guinness and by the end of the week there wasn't much left for his party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Think it is over hyped. Had a sip once and didn't like it. Something very odd in the taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

It's kind of an aquired taste i think. I am just sipping on some homebrew stout here and it;s much nicer after about 30 minutes out of the fridge. Extreme coldness just doesn't suit stout.
    44leto wrote: »
    But I heard the nicest Gxxx is when the Tap the cooler and the keg are all close together.

That was true years ago in the days of crap beer dispense equipment but not so much these days, with in-line cooling etc. I did a job in a pub lately which is famous for having great stout and ale and there is a seventy metre draw from the cooler to the tap.

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Think it is over hyped. Had a sip once and didn't like it. Something very odd in the taste.

Just under 2 billion pints are sold a year and growing, that is not on the crescent of a hype it has to have some quality.

But it is an individual taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

One of the very few things I miss about back home, a creamy Guinness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

What really gets me (and I have said this before) is people who say they don;t like stout / ale etc on the basis of Guinness and Smithwicks.

It's like saying you don't like potatoes based on only ever trying a bag of Walkers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Anyone who has professed to hating Guinness in this thread.....should be taken out...and shot:)

Cicero wrote: »
    Anyone who has professed to hating Guinness in this thread.....should be taken out...and shot:)

I volunteer to be a member of the firing squad as long as the detail gets free guinness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Theres your problem, its an aquired taste, it growes on you over time, I doubt anyone has ever liked their first sip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

44leto wrote: »
    I wouldn't agree now a few years ago yes the quality did differ significantly, but not now, Diageo have invested millions in the last 10 years for consistency, I think they nailed it.

But I heard the nicest Gxxx is when the Tap the cooler and the keg are all close together. My bro got a keg for a party and all of a sudden he was my favourite brother, it nearly killed us, but it was beautiful Guinness and by the end of the week there wasn't much left for his party.

Well I only started drinking Guiness over the last ten years and have more often than not come across woefull pints (serves me right for drinking in nightclubs)
    When you come across a place that does a good pint it can be a thing of beauty, but overall I just prefer the Large Bottle anyway, it has its own distinctive flavor, and is always the same no matter where you go.

• Advertisement

Theres your problem, its an aquired taste, it growes on you over time, I doubt anyone has ever liked their first sip.

Also the same for any alcohol, I remember my first field drinking cans, thinking this is muck, like how does anyone become an alco when the sh!t tastes this foul.

Then after a million drinks later I understand.

This thread has succeeded in giving me a ravishing thirst, I will now go and test all the theory I have learned from this thread.

Off for some Gxxx.

Well I only started drinking Guiness over the last ten years and have more often than not come across woefull pints (serves me right for drinking in nightclubs)
    When you come across a place that does a good pint it can be a thing of beauty, but overall I just prefer the Large Bottle anyway, it has its own distinctive flavor, and is always the same no matter where you go.

Come-on all pints are woeful in night clubs especially the guinness. And true although there is a better consistancy these days, some pubs are better then others.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I tried a bottle of guinness extra stout recently after my local briefly ran out of O Hara's. It was amazing! It's another drink entirely. I'm not a fan of guinness draught because it's a very mild drink but the extra stout is lovely. Full of flavour. It's also available in cans. Beamish Stout cans are also lovely but I'd recommend O Hara's Leann Folláin or their regular stout if you like the taste of beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

That'll be the protestantism in the grain. It affects the aromas some time after the fermentation process. "Something very odd in the taste" is word-for-word the most common phrase that I've heard to describe this phenomenon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

Its just for the grown-ups, this one. Thats not a flaw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

I tried a bottle of guinness extra stout recently after my local briefly ran out of O Hara's. It was amazing! It's another drink entirely. I'm not a fan of guinness draught because it's a very mild drink but the extra stout is lovely. Full of flavour. It's also available in cans. Beamish Stout cans are also lovely but I'd recommend O Hara's Leann Folláin or their regular stout if you like the taste of beer.

I love the stout bottles admittedly. you get funny stares off younger folk and derision for wanting it out of the fridge from the older ones. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Oh Guinness, how much I love thee :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

I had Beamish lately and I didn't absolutely love it but felt it was a finer tipple. It has a distinct coffee flavour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

An acquired taste that will forge an acquired character. A bit like life really..

for life is full of the black stuff which we must put ourselves through. as opposed to the black stuff we must put through us... note the word must. Cos tastes kinda musty, dunnit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

i know a guy that said a pint of guinness tasted like piss.... then one of my mates piss'd in his pint of bud when he weren't looking.... once he had it finished my mate said to him no your bud tastes like piss "my piss" and we all laughed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ah Guinness. Saviour of the soul.

Absolutely nothing beats a good pint of Guinness after a hard week's work.

A pint of cider while sitting outside on a blistering sunny day comes close, but doesn't beat it.

It is an acquired taste. Like coffee or smoking. But once you acquire the taste you come to appreciate the subtleties in the flavour and the joy of a good pint. I can only drink beer from bottles now. A pint of beer tastes like fizzy piss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

seamus wrote: »
    A pint of beer tastes like fizzy piss.

please im intriqued by this analogy... please describe what fizzy piss tastes like in more detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

please describe what fizzy piss tastes like in more detail.
    Like beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Used to drink Guinness all the time before switching to beer since the stuff would leave me a walking chemical hazard the next morning.

Depending on where you get it, nothing beats a good thick, creamy Guinness to help start the weekend. Some places have no idea to serve Guinness and just fùck it into the pint and hand you piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭cat320

Used to be a big guinness drinker before, not anymore, ever notice how much it makes you fart all the time? Its laced with chemicals, I drink beamish now and is a far superior pint to guinness..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Any pint of stout, be it Guinness, Murphy's or Beamish is still far superior to a gassy, bubble-filled pint of lager.

When things go wrong and will not come right,
    Though you do the best you can,
    When life looks black as the hour of night -
    A pint of plain is your only man.

When money's tight and hard to get
    And your horse has also ran,
    When all you have is a heap of debt -

When health is bad and your heart feels strange,
    And your face is pale and wan,
    When doctors say you need a change,

When food is scarce and your larder bare
    And no rashers grease your pan,
    When hunger grows as your meals are rare -

In time of trouble and lousey strife,
    You have still got a darlint plan
    You still can turn to a brighter life -

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

My Grandfather judged a man on his stout drinking ability, if you weren't up to a Guinness session you were a little girl, haw haw haw.... and rightly so, all these little bollixes drinking their cider and pisswater don't know what real drinking is.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Guinness was a real drink in your Grandfathers time .....not any more and it's gone the way of many other ideas and morphed into an attitude of mind or lifestyle .

Advertisement