Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PVR Queries, Questions, Advice, etc

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I have two set ups for doing that.

The newest and best way is a HDMI splitter, and I convert one of the channels to component for the pvr.

The other is indeed a vga converter, it doesn't add as much lag as you'd think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Yeah I have one of them too, seems to work fine for recording although I split the signal using a HDMI splitter so I have no idea if it causes lag or not. I feed a HDMI signal direct into the monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭bokkenspiel

found an offer on pixmania, only 163euro and i think that includes shipping and vat

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/3949026/art/hauppauge/pvr-high-definition-perso.html

• Registered Users Posts: 47 twotonewolftone

found an offer on pixmania, only 163euro and i think that includes shipping and vat

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/3949026/art/hauppauge/pvr-high-definition-perso.html
    im selling one of these bokkenspiel but forum rules prohibits me from posting a link.if your interested send me a p.m

• Advertisement

Just got a Black Magic intensity shuttle. Wish me luck with it tonight lads :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I recently got the Hauppauge HD PVR. Definitely the best piece of recording hardware I've ever had. One question though.

I have Arcsoft TotalMedia Extreme with it, and it's the only program that works perfectly to record my consoles. I have 3 format options, Xbox 360 (MP4), AVCHD (TS) and PS3 (M2TS).

Can someone recommend what setting would be best in terms of File Size/Quality? So far I'm using MP4, but am I blind or can I find better formats? Thanks in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭samina

Hi all I was sent this direction from another thread. One of the kids is after an elgato for Christmas. Priced it up on amazon and the price isn't too scary but I gave a couple of questions I'd anyone has a minute to help me because I haven't a clue about any of this.

Firstly are there different kinds for Xbox, playstation or anything else?

Do I buy cables separately and if so what are they? so there's no drama on Christmas morning!

Any other advice or pointers very much appreciated

samina wrote: »
    Hi all I was sent this direction from another thread. One of the kids is after an elgato for Christmas. Priced it up on amazon and the price isn't too scary but I gave a couple of questions I'd anyone has a minute to help me because I haven't a clue about any of this.

Firstly are there different kinds for Xbox, playstation or anything else?

Do I buy cables separately and if so what are they? so there's no drama on Christmas morning!

Any other advice or pointers very much appreciated

The elgato is the same for Xbox or ps3, however the cable is different depending on the console.

You use a HDMI cable for Xbox, and a PS3 to component for PS3.

The TV being played on needs to support HDMI too, so you'll need a second HDMI cable for that. If you need a bit of help with what all that means, just ask, I can dig out links.

One thing I would say- I've no real idea how good the elgato is to record with, although all reports I've seen are good. The Hauppage HDPVR 1 and 2 would be the "beginner" recording devices as they're simple to use. The elgato to me appears, however, to be far superior to the PVR 1 at least.

Any more questions, feel free :)

Thanks doctor doom. So you'd recommend the hdpvr 2 then for a beginner? He isn't dead set on the elgato so ill go with that one so.
    Does this one need 2 cables also, and are they just run of the mill hdmi cables. It's for an Xbox?
    You got me thinking he's after a laptop too for setting this up I'll have to make sure the laptop has sockets for these cables too then yeah?
    I really appreciate the help. Without it this will be a disaster so it would be great if you could dig out some links when you get a chance

• Advertisement

samina wrote: »
    Thanks doctor doom. So you'd recommend the hdpvr 2 then for a beginner? He isn't dead set on the elgato so ill go with that one so.
    Does this one need 2 cables also, and are they just run of the mill hdmi cables. It's for an Xbox?
    You got me thinking he's after a laptop too for setting this up I'll have to make sure the laptop has sockets for these cables too then yeah?
    I really appreciate the help. Without it this will be a disaster so it would be great if you could dig out some links when you get a chance

Yes, for both the elgato and the PVR2 all you need for XBox is 2 run of the mill HDMI cables (which come included with the PVR2, not sure about the elgato).

Again, not sure about the elgato, but the PVR/2 runs off usb 2.0, and does most of it's processing itself, so really it should work well on any windows laptop of the last 6 or 7 years. I know one guy who got it to work off a netbook!

Yes, for both the elgato and the PVR2 all you need for XBox is 2 run of the mill HDMI cables (which come included with the PVR2, not sure about the elgato).

Again, not sure about the elgato, but the PVR/2 runs off usb 2.0, and does most of it's processing itself, so really it should work well on any windows laptop of the last 6 or 7 years. I know one guy who got it to work off a netbook!

Brilliant doctor doom thanks so much For the help

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Hey guys,

I want to buy a PVR as an Xmas present for my brother. Ideally, I want to make sure it's here in plenty of time for Xmas. He's going to be recording Xbox games for Youtube Let's Plays. I know nothing about this really though, so which one should I be looking to get? I've got about 200 quid to spend on it. Much appreciate the advice :)

Hey guys,

I want to buy a PVR as an Xmas present for my brother. Ideally, I want to make sure it's here in plenty of time for Xmas. He's going to be recording Xbox games for Youtube Let's Plays. I know nothing about this really though, so which one should I be looking to get? I've got about 200 quid to spend on it. Much appreciate the advice :)

I'd probably say Hauppage HD PVR or HD PVR2 are the easiest to start with.

Please see my previous 3 or 4 responses in this thread as for why, and feel free to ask questions :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Awesome.

Am I right in saying it would be easiest to order off Amazon then? I notice it up here. Does that ship to Ireland ok? I've had problems with shipping stuff from Amazon to Ireland before with non-books. And what's the average time between order and receiving the item?

And once I get that record, can I use Movie Maker and the likes to edit the videos, yeah?

EDIT: One other question; I have a DVR already in my sitting room. Is that useable as a proper Xbox recording device? Or is something like the Hauppauge superior?

Awesome.

Am I right in saying it would be easiest to order off Amazon then? I notice it up here. Does that ship to Ireland ok? I've had problems with shipping stuff from Amazon to Ireland before with non-books. And what's the average time between order and receiving the item?

And once I get that record, can I use Movie Maker and the likes to edit the videos, yeah?

EDIT: One other question; I have a DVR already in my sitting room. Is that useable as a proper Xbox recording device? Or is something like the Hauppauge superior?

I can't answer your other questions but I've been looking around and maplins have the hd pvr2 for €179 euro at the mo. Little but more expensive but I prefer bricks and mortar stores when I have no clue about what I'm buying.

Awesome.

You don't need to order off amazon actually, I got mine off komplett. Irish companies have copped there's money to be made in PVRs.

When I think of all the cash I've paid over the years in shipping... lol.

Yes, you use whatever editing program you have to edit. I dno't know much about that end, I tend to do live recordings with xsplit. All editing on the fly.

I honestly don't know about the DVR, I suspect it would depend on the model. It would probably lag without a splitter, but would be technically usable. PVR2 however has tonnes of useful options with resolutions, frame rates, and file types which probably make it infinitely more practical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭baz909

Most DVR's only have the standard RGB input's

so unless you want to record in "SD or Standard Defination"

you should invest in either a Hauppage PVR or the Avermedia Game Capture.

With the Hauppauge you need to have your PC/Laptop on while you record

where as the Avermedia you can install a Harddrive, USB Stick or External Harddrive and record onto that

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Monkeyto

Hey dudes, I just picked up a HD PVR2 and had a couple of questions...

I have a HD PVR2, a PS3 and a BenQ monitor.

At the moment I'm getting some ghosting, which I read goes away if I pick up an official PS3 component cabel, as the ones that come with the pvr2 are considered quite "cheap". Can anyone confirm if that's the case?

The second question I have:

I have no issue with recording/streaming, however as the PVR2 takes my red and white audio cables from the component, I have no way of streaming real time sound into my speakers. I usually use an adapter to plug the red and white cables into the sound socket of my speakers.

Does anyone know a work around so I can get sound to my speakers AND to my recording?

Many thanks!!! :)

Monkeyto wrote: »
    Hey dudes, I just picked up a HD PVR2 and had a couple of questions...

I have a HD PVR2, a PS3 and a BenQ monitor.

At the moment I'm getting some ghosting, which I read goes away if I pick up an official PS3 component cabel, as the ones that come with the pvr2 are considered quite "cheap". Can anyone confirm if that's the case?

The second question I have:

I have no issue with recording/streaming, however as the PVR2 takes my red and white audio cables from the component, I have no way of streaming real time sound into my speakers. I usually use an adapter to plug the red and white cables into the sound socket of my speakers.

Does anyone know a work around so I can get sound to my speakers AND to my recording?

Many thanks!!! :)

Hey dude!

I can't speak to the quality of the PVR2's cable but yes, using bad component cables does absolutely ruin the recording, I've had it happen to me, so yeah pick up a more expensive one and it should fix that.

You need an audio splitter to fix your sound problem, something like this:
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Video-Audio-3-RCA-Composite-AV-Switch-8-Ports-Selector-8-Way-Splitter-Box-/321090247166?pt=UK_Computing_Sound_Vision_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item4ac27859fe

You can find cheaper, unpowered ones but then the signal is being split without being boosted and that can have negative effects on the sound as it's being recorded or played out of your speakers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Can anyone recommend me a recording device?

Only requirement I have is that it's a stand-alone device (records content to the device itself and not via the pc)

Am I best off going with a dvd recorder?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,891 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

hello,

if this has already been discussed I apologise...

any word yet on the situation with the XBone/PS4? Will the current devices work with them do you think?

hello,

if this has already been discussed I apologise...

any word yet on the situation with the XBone/PS4? Will the current devices work with them do you think?

It's looking very similar to the present, except that component options won't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Right, thinking of getting back into some videos now that I have more free time than I thought. Been nearly a year away from it though.

Anyone got any tips for recording on a PS3 AND PC at the same time?

Basically I want to record some GTA Online gameplay with friends, but the HD PVR doesn't pick up my headset in game. I still need to keep it plugged in to chat to them in-game, so I will need to also record whatever I say onto the PC while playing.

Is there any suggestions as to how I could do this easily? Or am I stuck with just using two mics?

Can't speak for other people, but I actually leave a mike on my desk when I need to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Was thinking as much. Lost my backup headset so I'll have to get myself a mic!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

Any chance anyone has a link to where I can download the installation for the pvr, I can't find the disk and have downloaded the installation from the site before but for the life of me I can't find it :confused:

Legally, no...

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/support/support_hdpvr.html

his is a Windows driver only for Windows 8, 7 and Vista (32 and 64-bit versions) plus Windows XP (32-bit only). For the Arcsoft Total Media Extreme application for HD PVR, you need your original CD. Updates to the TME application are available through Arcsoft Connect which can be found in Total Media Extreme (see below "Latest HD PVR application").

However the new build of OBS, among other 3rd party applications, will work with a hd pvr.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Cucullan

Hi, My son wants to record his PS3 game play and he'll be talking on the videos too but I'm not sure what pvr to buy him. Is there one out there he can plug a mic into and not need to have it connected to a laptop in that it will record both video and his audio to the harddrive in the pvr in one go? Thanks

• Advertisement

Cucullan wrote: »
    Hi, My son wants to record his PS3 game play and he'll be talking on the videos too but I'm not sure what pvr to buy him. Is there one out there he can plug a mic into and not need to have it connected to a laptop in that it will record both video and his audio to the harddrive in the pvr in one go? Thanks

I think the Avermedia LGP can do that.

It records to a memory card not a hd though.

Advertisement