Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olympic Build up

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

Dan man wrote: »
    I'd say the reason he hasn't been named yet is that he doesn't have the A-standard.

What's the A standard?

I thought it was 20.30 and he threw that before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dan man

What's the A standard?

I thought it was 20.30 and he threw that before Christmas.

20.50m is the A-standard as laid down by the I.A.A.F. The B-standard is 20.00m but the New Zealand federation put a higher B-standard of 20.30m in place for their athletes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

20.50m is the A-standard as laid down by the I.A.A.F. [/QUOTE

F*cking hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Rineanna

Joanne Cuddihy continues her encouraging early season form with a 23.68 run over 200m at the NSW champs in Sydney.

She has a best of 23.33 from 2006, which is due for some revision this year hopefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Rineanna wrote: »
    Joanne Cuddihy continues her encouraging early season form with a 23.68 run over 200m at the NSW champs in Sydney.

She has a best of 23.33 from 2006, which is due for some revision this year hopefully.

Do you know if she is running Australian Nationals in Melbourne in 2 weeks by the way? Will make sure to head along and support her if so as I missed her race at the Melbourne Track Classic last month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Jacko Gill is not going to the Olympics now:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-sports/6683353/Selection-cloud-prompted-Gills-London-call

Seems a royal f***-up where he and others were told the B standard as the qualifying mark, based their training around being already in, and now are told they are only B standard and may need to peak again before the Games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Worth a listen, Derval interview

http://www.rte.ie/sport/player/734/316059/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

We now have 4 women with the A standard for the Marathon. Who'd have thought the selectors would have that dilema :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/17725437

Nice wee bit of rivalry building up in the men's 400m Hurdles... Bershawn "the Batman" Jackson felt as if he was disrespected by Dai Greene so he's "out to get him in London". Love the line where he says that Greene "has wrote a cheque he can't cash".... fighting talk!
    Seems a bit more to it than the usual competitive banter, he actually comes across as though he is really p*ssed off by Greene's comments... will be no harm for fans of the sport to see a bit of spice added to this rivalry.

Listen to the audio here:
    http://www.fastlifeshow.com/2012/04/bershawn-jackson-britains-dai-greene-wrote-a-check-that-he-cant-cash-and-im-coming-to-collect/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Teddy Tamgho rules himself out:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/18404472

• Advertisement

I heard the World Record holder in the 50km walk Denis Nizhegorodov is a possible doubt too for London...won't make that much difference to Rob though as Russia have a host of talents in this event.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Gillick has ran twice in the past few days:
    Sun night 48,36 in Turin
    Last night - Russia somewhere: can't find the time but thought I read it in one of the broadsheets earlier and think it was only a very very small improvement

It doesn't augur well for him, I hope I'm wrong though and he comes through in a blaze of glory, he always seemed like a very decent skin

Emmanuel Mutai picked ahead of Geoffrey Mutai and Patrick Mutai to replace Moses Mosop in Kenyan Olympic Marathon team.

Tirunesh Dibaba vs Vivian Cheruiyot at the Olympics this summer is shaping up to be an unmissable showdown...Dibaba's 4:05min last 1,500m of the 5,000m Diamond League race in New York signals that she's back and is going to be more than a match for Cheruiyot. She probably could have gone quicker over the last lap too if pushed. Granted, it was of the back of a slow pace (by their crazy high standards) but that was really impressive....hopefully both stay fit and healthy.

Kevin Borlee ran fastest 400m by a European in nearly 5 years (44.56). Could have an outside shot at the bronze to make the first European to win a medal in the mens 400m since Atlanta

ecoli wrote: »
    Kevin Borlee ran fastest 400m by a European in nearly 5 years (44.56). Could have an outside shot at the bronze to make the first European to win a medal in the mens 400m since Atlanta

Outside shot?

He won bronze in Daegu. He has a very decent shot at a bronze. He's done it on the big occasion enough times now, and has the fast times to back it up. He's a nice bet for a medal I reckon. Will be tough of course, but I'd like to see what odds they'll be offering.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,495 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I was just checking up on the mens 400 metre times for Europe. The best ever time is 25 years old. Surely someone could have bettered it in the 25 years since. It really shows how very very tough the 44 second barrier is in the 400 metre race. Am I right in thinking that only one white man has broken 44 seconds?

walshb wrote: »
    I was just checking up on the mens 400 metre times for Europe. The best ever time is 25 years old. Surely someone could have bettered it in the 25 years since. It really shows how very very tough the 44 second barrier is in the 400 metre race. Am I right in thinking that only one white man has broked 44 seconds?

Correct. Wariner. Not sure he is 100% caucasian either. No non-US athlete has ever run under 44 seconds. The European record is 44.33 . I tell you one thing, that is one serious run by Borlee. Sort of makes ya wonder what might have been for Gillick. Thems the breaks I guess!

Pisco Sour wrote: »
    Correct. Wariner. Not sure he is 100% caucasian either. No non-US athlete has ever run under 44 seconds. The European record is 44.33 . I tell you one thing, that is one serious run by Borlee. Sort of makes ya wonder what might have been for Gillick. Thems the breaks I guess!

Funny you mention Wariner's ethicity. I too was thinking the same as yourself.

Mod: Stick to facts. If you can prove it by all means (in relation to the individual not a general reference to a state programme) but if you cant dont de-rail the thread

• Advertisement

Mod: Stick to facts. If you can prove it by all means (in relation to the individual not a general reference to a state programme) but if you cant dont de-rail the thread

Thanks, ecoli. At least that clears up any perceived ignorance I may have displayed!

Anyway, records aren't too important anyway, it's all about winning medals, so back to the present. Great run from Borlee. I see he is on the start list for the 200m in Helsinki. He has a 20.31 I think, and is ranked very highly among the entrants.

Mariya Savinova 1:57.42 in the heats of the Russian Championships and followed this up with a 51.43 in the 400m

Some crazy results coming out of that meet but if to be believed should put her as firm favourite for London. Should make for an interesting final between her Semenya, Jelimo and the new kid on the block Francine Niyonsaba

Mariya Savinova 1:57.42 in the heats of the Russian Championships and followed this up with a 51.43 in the 400m

Some crazy results coming out of that meet but if to be believed should put her as firm favourite for London. Should make for an interesting final between her Semenya, Jelimo and the new kid on the block Francine Niyonsaba

Don't forget Fantu Magiso....she really impressed at the Diamond League in New York with 1:57.xxmins and she beat Jelimo and Savinova in a sprint finish in Rome last month for another 1:57 run. She is a big favourite for at least a medal and has proven she can outkick Jelimo and Savinova on her day.

Don't forget Fantu Magiso....she really impressed at the Diamond League in New York with 1:57.xxmins and she beat Jelimo and Savinova in a sprint finish in Rome last month for another 1:57 run. She is a big favourite for at least a medal and has proven she can outkick Jelimo and Savinova on her day.

Knew I was forgetting someone:rolleyes:

The Burundian girl Niyasamba at just 19 has the potential to be a superstar. Would be nice to see some of those countries like Burundi produce a flurry of athletes. There's usually the odd good runner from Burundi and also Djibouti, Somalia, Rwanda, etc. but they don't have the conveyor belt of success that the Kenyan and Ethiopians enjoy. I'm sure they are as talented (obviously disadvantaged in terms of population) but they need to have an improved set-up to uncover the talent.

Countries like Tanzania, Uganda, Eritrea and Sudan usually enjoy a bit of success but it would be nice to see those 4 countries in particular develop their athletics further to challenge the Ethiopians and Kenyans on a more regular basis. They have the population and the talent but just don't have the set-up as of yet. At least then there would be more diversity in the distance running even if it is still the East Africans dominating. Kind of similar to how the sprint events have gone....no longer just U.S.A. dominating but Jamaica and other Caribbean countries such as T & T, Barbados, St.Kitts & Nevis, Grenada, Antigua & Barbuda, Virgin Islands, etc. popping up in a lot of the finals and challenging for medals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

Possible injury worry for Paula Radcliffe. Let's hope it clears up.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/18705791

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

This is a great series in the Gruaniad

• Advertisement

Last years 10k WC Jelian looks to be out of the running after failing a fitness test with the Ethiopian trial race in Liege tonight. Jelian was dropped early in the race and faded further and further back from the eventual winner Desisa who won in 27.17

Advertisement