Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boston Marathon - new registration procedures

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭Peckham

Registration for the BAA 5k which is one the day before the marathon opens today at 3pm Irish time. Runs along part of the marathon course and finishes on the marathon finish line. Might be of interest for anyone travelling with a partner who also runs.

More detail here.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭loughie

Peckham wrote: »
    Registration for the BAA 5k which is one the day before the marathon opens today at 3pm Irish time. Runs along part of the marathon course and finishes on the marathon finish line. Might be of interest for anyone travelling with a partner who also runs.

More detail here.

Signed up the OH, she was quite happy until I told her the race started at 8am :D

loughie wrote: »

More detail here.

Signed up the OH, she was quite happy until I told her the race started at 8am :D

Jet lag will have her up early anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Meanwhile, away from the jackets, am still obsessing about the course profile :(

I printed off the profile pieces from the BAA website, pasted them together and hung them on the wall. The longer horizontal definitely helps!

I reckon the planning at this stage is
    Mile 1 to 5 - Serious downhill. Target marathon pace minus 15 secs
    Mile 5 to 15 - Ups and downs but generally a "normal" profile. Target marathon pace
    Mile 15 to 21 - Serious descent followed by the four Newton hills. Target marathon pace plus 13 secs
    Mile 21 to 26 - Steady downhill. Target marathon pace

The big danger is losing everything in that first five miles. Still, even if I don't make these times I'll probably still use those course divisions. Something tells me this ain't gonna be my last post on this ;)
    Speaking from personal experience, I think this is too fast.

This is something I stressed about as well but our good friends at Nike helped me out in 2007. I was suposed to post this a while back.

In the expo they were giving out pace bands that take course profile into consideration. I was targeting 2.50 which is 6.29 pace. As you can see from the pace band the first 4 miles are fast so with even running/effort (i.e 6.29 effort) I was expected to run 6.16, 6.24, 6.22 & 6.17. Mile 21 is a toughie so pace drops out to 6.52. These pace bands were free and you could get one tailored for your time. Have never seen them in other marathons but would definitely scout around expo looking for them if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KentuckyPete

This is something I stressed about as well but our good friends at Nike helped me out in 2007. I was suposed to post this a while back.

In the expo they were giving out pace bands that take course profile into consideration. I was targeting 2.50 which is 6.29 pace. As you can see from the pace band the first 4 miles are fast so with even running/effort (i.e 6.29 effort) I was expected to run 6.16, 6.24, 6.22 & 6.17. Mile 21 is a toughie so pace drops out to 6.52. These pace bands were free and you could get one tailored for your time. Have never seen them in other marathons but would definitely scout around expo looking for them if you can.

Wow, that's a detailed pace-band for sure. Did you keep to the times RR? Did you find that putting the same effort in each for each mile gave you the outcome you needed?

Great to get this though - while it's a bit better adjusted than my suggestion above it trends roughly the same way.

• Advertisement

Wow, that's a detailed pace-band for sure. Did you keep to the times RR? Did you find that putting the same effort in each for each mile gave you the outcome you needed?

Great to get this though - while it's a bit better adjusted than my suggestion above it trends roughly the same way.

Yeah kept the pace for the majority of miles. Was reassuring to know that when you run a slow mile it may be expected. I think my mile 21 was even slower than 6.51.

By the way the jackets rock lads. What ever about getting it beforehand don't wear it until you've ran the marathon. The auld lads will rip the piss out of you, I'm talking from experience :) I was in a bar getting some food on the Saturday and the majority of patrons had their jackets on. Some dating back to the late 1980s. They were like a badge of honour.

One other thing, if you are hanging on for a day or two they sell off unsold expo gear in some downtown sports shops. A friend of mine has gone twice so I'll find out the name of the shops.

So... I used RR's paceband to build a similar one for 2:59:59 pace by multiplying each mile time by the ratio of 2:59:59 to 2:50:00.

Target pace for 2:59:59 is 6:52. On the pace band, blue miles are run faster than target pace, orange miles are slower and green miles are bang on. Third column shows the cumulative times if running at a steady 6;52.

123nog7.jpg

A race between two lads running these splits would be a TV spectacular.

"Uneven Runner races off and leaves 6:52 Runner in the dust. Uneven Runner never quite gets clear though - 6:52 vitally maintains visual contact and almost catches him on a number of occasions before finally moving ahead in mile 20. Heartbreak Hill looks decisive as 6:52 steams on, widening the gap with every stride. Uneven Runner isn't finished yet though - he's trained hard and done extensive calculations ahead of the big day - he fairly flies down the other side of Heartbreak Hill and closes the gap steadily - almost drawing level at mile 25. However, 6:52 grits his teeth and just stays in front through mile 26. Then in an unfortunate Excel rounding error 6:52 gains two seconds on the run-in and breasts the tape ahead of a tired but gallant Uneven Runner."

I reckon this pace band (minus the third column :)) would be a good aid on the day - as RR says, it lets you know where the bad miles are and also gives you a good idea of your target cumulative time along the way. Interestingly halfway is also scheduled for around 1:29:34 - no major shift from a "flat" race target split

I just realised miles 20-21 takes in heartbreak hill (the slowest one according to the pace band). As you can see you shouldn't loose too much time on it. It may catch some people out who don't throw a few hills into their runs every now and then though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Itziger

So... I used RR's paceband to build a similar one for 2:59:59 pace by multiplying each mile time by the ratio of 2:59:59 to 2:50:00.

Target pace for 2:59:59 is 6:52. On the pace band, blue miles are run faster than target pace, orange miles are slower and green miles are bang on. Third column shows the cumulative times if running at a steady 6;52.

123nog7.jpg

A race between two lads running these splits would be a TV spectacular.

"Uneven Runner races off and leaves 6:52 Runner in the dust. Uneven Runner never quite gets clear though - 6:52 vitally maintains visual contact and almost catches him on a number of occasions before finally moving ahead in mile 20. Heartbreak Hill looks decisive as 6:52 steams on, widening the gap with every stride. Uneven Runner isn't finished yet though - he's trained hard and done extensive calculations ahead of the big day - he fairly flies down the other side of Heartbreak Hill and closes the gap steadily - almost drawing level at mile 25. However, 6:52 grits his teeth and just stays in front through mile 26. Then in an unfortunate Excel rounding error 6:52 gains two seconds on the run-in and breasts the tape ahead of a tired but gallant Uneven Runner."

I reckon this pace band (minus the third column :)) would be a good aid on the day - as RR says, it lets you know where the bad miles are and also gives you a good idea of your target cumulative time along the way. Interestingly halfway is also scheduled for around 1:29:34 - no major shift from a "flat" race target split

Good to see you're not taking this Boston malarkey too seriously Pete. Nice and chilled - just give it your best, see how it goes like.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Would you not aim for a more aggressive time like 2:58 and train for it too? Too many people (myself and Peckham included) have run 3:00:xx in a race. It's so difficult to get it spot on, when the margins are so tight.

• Advertisement

Would you not aim for a more aggressive time like 2:58 and train for it too? Too many people (myself and Peckham included) have run 3:00:xx in a race. It's so difficult to get it spot on, when the margins are so tight.

For sure Krusty. The aim will definitely be to be ahead of those splits - but not until the second half of the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Dead right, of course. I reckoned I was in 2:55 shape for my sub-3 but did not have the best of days. However, that little bit of margin allowed me to sneak home in 2:59.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 carthaigh

From http://www.marathonguide.com/fitnesscalcs/PaceBandCreator.cfm

To make the wristband stronger (and waterproof), cover the band lengthwise with strips of clear tape: front, back and side edges.
    Trim tape with scissors.

In case any of ye are prone to sweating a little during a marathon.

I have seen pacing charts at other expos but nothign as fancy (or useful as the wristband) The Two Oceans pacing chart takes the hills into account.
    2 Oceans.BMP

Not sure that my OH is going to be bothered to get out of bed, but for those of you who know the area, are there any recommendations for somewhere mid-way along the route, that is easily accessible by public transport (from the city), where one could spectate and hand out a drink etc?

Not sure that my OH is going to be bothered to get out of bed, but for those of you who know the area, are there any recommendations for somewhere mid-way along the route, that is easily accessible by public transport (from the city), where one could spectate and hand out a drink etc?

If she takes one of the green T lines she could easily get to either Newton (mile 19), Boston College (mile 21) or Cleveland Circle (mile 22.5) if that's not too late. The lines are very busy on marathon day, though.

Other lines go further out, but might not run as often.

There are official drinks stations every mile. Not sure why you'd need any more than that ...

There are official drinks stations every mile. Not sure why you'd need any more than that ...
    Perhaps I fancy a beer?

If she takes one of the green T lines she could easily get to either Newton (mile 19), Boston College (mile 21) or Cleveland Circle (mile 22.5) if that's not too late. The lines are very busy on marathon day, though.

Other lines go further out, but might not run as often.

Yeah from all reports the course is very well served by trains - albeit crowded trains on race day. There are a few sections where the train even runs along the route.

Assuming you'll want that drink / unique support in the "difficult" second part then the MBTA Boston College stop is ideal for a short walk to Heartbreak Hill. Alternatively OH can get the train out to Woodland and cheer you around the big bend at Mile 17.8 as you kick into the first of the three Newton Hills.

She'll still have to get moving well ahead of time though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

Perhaps I fancy a beer?

They'll be loads of Boston College students having bbq's on Comm Ave who would be happy to accomodate that request Krusty !

I always used to love running over the newton hills as the frat boys were shouting at you that 'you can do it', with a beer in one hand and a hot dog in the other. The fumes coming off some of them was enough to get you tipsy :D

Speedy44 wrote: »
    They'll be loads of Boston College students having bbq's on Comm Ave who would be happy to accomodate that request Krusty !

I always used to love running over the newton hills as the frat boys were shouting at you that 'you can do it', with a beer in one hand and a hot dog in the other. The fumes coming off some of them was enough to get you tipsy :D
    That's good to know. Should we get a strong head-wind, I'll make myself cosy outside one of the frat houses, and she can come pick me up.

Speedy44 wrote: »

Yes, from what I remember Boston College was just as loud as the Wellesley scream tunnel, but the B.C. screamers were significantly less good looking! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭figs

Found a drive through of the route here a little earlier... hills don't look too bad when they're speeded up!

Also guided tour of route.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Itziger

Wow, got to 3.33 there on the drive through video. That is a lot of downhill, jeez. I'm guessing now that it's people blasting down those slopes that gets to em in the second half. There's little doubt that you'd want to be a bit ahead of your target there but at the same time try to keep things under control.

Now back to watch second half......

Look forward to this, but not sure why they think low alcohol content is what everyone wants after completing a marathon

articles.boston.com/2012-02-22/business/31081777_1_boston-beer-boston-marathon-brewing

I have a reservation at this hotel from 14th to 17th April (i.e. the Saturday, Sunday and Monday nights), and am about to cancel it as it was my plan B for accomodation. If anyone is looking for accomodation, I can investigate whether it's possible that I can transfer my reservation.

It's 199 dollars per night, i.e. 597 dollars all in for a double room. This hotel is booked out for marathon weekend, and is highly recommended on the Runners World forum.

Will be cancelling within the next week or so, so get back to me asap.

I'm all right thanks Peckham - am slumming it at the "W" (god bless those Starwood points from work ;))

How's preparation going? I'm laid up this two weeks with a calf problem - some dose. Am biking and swimming but it's not any sort of substitute

How's preparation going? I'm laid up this two weeks with a calf problem - some dose. Am biking and swimming but it's not any sort of substitute

Sorry to hear about injury. Are you close to recovery yet? Prep going okay, bit inconsistent at times in terms of weekly mileage, but hope to get 3 solid weeks before taper.

Sorry to hear about injury. Are you close to recovery yet?

Cheers Peckham. Stopped running on Feb 29th - bike and swim ever since. Ice, compression, physio, dry-needling etc. is the order of the day. Started back with 3 miles last Thursday, 6 on Sat and 11 on Sunday - slow miles, all on grass - calf quite sore after the 11. Hope to do 6 tomorrow, 8 on friday and 16 on Sunday - same surface, same pace.

You just can't rush a calf problem :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭figs

Cheers Peckham. Stopped running on Feb 29th - bike and swim ever since. Ice, compression, physio, dry-needling etc. is the order of the day. Started back with 3 miles last Thursday, 6 on Sat and 11 on Sunday - slow miles, all on grass - calf quite sore after the 11. Hope to do 6 tomorrow, 8 on friday and 16 on Sunday - same surface, same pace.

You just can't rush a calf problem :mad:

Bad luck at this stage KP. Hope the recovery goes ok and you're back running normally in time.

Starting wave and corral information now on baa.org website. Check under Entrants List.

I'm in Wave 1, Corral 3.

• Advertisement

Here's the entrants URL for wave/corral. Here's the transportation times. Looks like 6:10am-6:30am for Wave 1.

Bib #:862
    Wave/Corral: 1/1
    Bring it on!

Advertisement