Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People of different ethnicities & Religion to play Intercounty Hurling or Football?

• 01-11-2010 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭pipelaser

Tried to start this topic before and some over-excited, uber-conservative
    ,band wagon jumping, idiots thought it was a stupid idea, and started with this whole "who cares" and "why does it matter" nonsense, and the Mod closed the thread!:confused:

I think that its a very interesting subject, I love to see people of different cultures and religions playing the games and having an Interest in the GAA. Indeed I saw a Brazilian playing corner forward in London once, it just seemed too easy for him!

Theres also a guy who played with Pats in Meath whos prob the 1st Muslim to play at this level. Hopefully he gets a run out with the seniors some day.

Any guys up and coming in clubs around the country?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Oh wow, first week as mod and a thread like this starts up, thanks for making my life easy :) Gentle warning to everyone, keep this civil :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

There is a young Brazilian hurler from Gort who many people expect to repesent Galway in a few years at underage level.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

A friend of mine is a teacher and is training a school soccer team who arranged a couple of challenges against the school in Gort, the hurling and football coachs heard of this and arranged a couple of challenges, figured it'd be a good school day out, the hurling and footballers were expecting easy games but the soccer were expecting a hard contest cause of all the Brazilians, turned out the hurlers were destroyed, the footballers won a tight enough game and the soccer team won easily, all the best Brazilian lads were playing hurling they had no interest in soccer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭shockframe

The O hailpin brothers?

A friend of mine who trains a school team said there is a few non irish players playing the games and i know of a few club underge teams who have players of different nationalities playing for them

it will be interesting to see if a polish player can make it to inter county in the next 10 years .There could be a revolution.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,020 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

The best player on our football team ( primary school)- this year and last year - was Polish. Several of our hurling team are Polish and one from Nigeria will be on it next year.
    In time I do expect to see this filter through to senior club games and eventually at inter county level - if the recession doesn't force too many back to their 'homeland'.

As far as the religion perspective - you would be surprised at the amount of 'non catholic' players around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

I think people of African descent would greatly enhance GAA games, they can be very tall and very strong physically, attributes that can make great athletes and given the right levels of skill can make great hurling/football players!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

There's an African this year that has a very good chance of starting with the (Galway) minors. He plays in the backs, I think he was the first black person to represent Galway at any level in Tedd Webb - and did a great job that year. They didnt concede a goal on the way to winning Connacht. There's great hope for this year minors and it could be the first time a black man plays in in Croker (I think).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

THFC wrote: »
    There's an African this year that has a very good chance of starting with the (Galway) minors. He plays in the backs, I think he was the first black person to represent Galway at any level in Tedd Webb - and did a great job that year. They didnt concede a goal on the way to winning Connacht. There's great hope for this year minors and it could be the first time a black man plays in in Croker (I think).

There have been numerous aboriginal players playing for the internation rules in croke park, amongst them, the amazing, and huge Adam Goodes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Ian_K

Played junior football with a Lithuanian guy this year, tough as nails was in the army back home, probably the fittest guy i know, powerful wing back!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Clareman wrote: »
    Oh wow, first week as mod and a thread like this starts up, thanks for making my life easy :) Gentle warning to everyone, keep this civil :)

...why wouldn't it be civil? :confused:

OP, there are a number of non-Irish born children/teenagers throughout Cork that play Football/Hurling. Sticking to adults, and beyond Aisake/Sean Og, two come to mind, Francis Usanga (intermediate hurling for Watergrasshill) and Arthur Hankus (senior dootball for Naomh Aban). Also, I'm guessing a member of this year's Cork Minor Hurling team is Protestant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

I think it is brilliant to see different nationalities etc coming through GAA. Hurling, Gaelic are great sports - so much better than soccer. (I am biased from Tipperary:D:D)

I am looking forward to the day in an All-Ireland Final in Croker when some of the players names are going to be unpronounceable ;);)

On a side note, my 9 year old was at hurling training during September. One of the things I noticed was that every kid was wearing a different kit - they were inter-county, club, soccer, rugby etc. My son was in a full Man Utd kit. I was wondering how long ago would it have been - when that wasn't allowed/or frowned upon.

GAA is changing with the modern times. Surprisingly dynamic.

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    I think it is brilliant to see different nationalities etc coming through GAA. Hurling, Gaelic are great sports - so much better than soccer. (I am biased from Tipperary:D:D)

I am looking forward to the day in an All-Ireland Final in Croker when some of the players names are going to be unpronounceable ;);)

On a side note, my 9 year old was at hurling training during September. One of the things I noticed was that every kid was wearing a different kit - they were inter-county, club, soccer, rugby etc. My son was in a full Man Utd kit. I was wondering how long ago would it have been - when that wasn't allowed/or frowned upon.

GAA is changing with the modern times. Surprisingly dynamic.

Very long ago (if ever) presumebly, everyone wore soccer/rugby jerseys to training when I played.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

pipelaser wrote: »
    I saw a Brazilian playing corner forward in London once, it just seemed too easy for him!

It reminds me of that great urban myth of Brazilian legend Socrates playing soccer for UCD (shelbourne/bohs...) whilst studying medicine there in the late seventies.
    You have all the ingredients for a GAA equivalent there, Ronaldinho, Robinho or Silva inside forward for london

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

THFC wrote: »
    There's great hope for this year minors and it could be the first time a black man plays in in Croker (I think).

When Dublin won the U21's a few years ago was there not two players from an African background playing in the forwards?

Also Ballyhaunis hurlers in Mayo have a lot of the Pakistani lads on underage teams and 1 or 2 playing senior (i think).

When Dublin won the U21's a few years ago was there not two players from an African background playing in the forwards?

Sweetnam from Erins Isle.

On a slightly bizarre note, the fellow from Sligo who plays striker for Bohs (Cretaro or something like that) his brother used to play for the Sligo hurlers.

There is loads of lads who were born in Ireland with European surnames - Fulignati, that Mayo goalkeeper, that Tipp footballer etc.

Also, Simon Zebo, a current reserve winger for Munster, was supposedly a very fine hurler/footballer in his youth. A shiny apple for whichever Corkman can guess his former club... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

3 players off the top of my head in Dublin are Ted Furman (Ballymun Kickhams), Luke Sweetman (Erins Isle) and Craig Dias (Kilmacud Crokes). All 3 have represented Dublin underage. Fran Usanga played senior hurling for Craobh Chiarain and also played on the Dublin colleges team. Not sure if he played minor for Dublin though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

An old friend of mine, Glen Gordon, played for Meath minor football teams in the late 80s. He was born in London - father is Jamaican and mother from Meath - but came to Ireland as a baby.

He was an outstanding all-round athlete (I played cricket against him and his dad when they played for North Kildare Cricket Club) and was expected to play football at senior level but the family emigrated to Australia in 1989.

An Citeog wrote: »
    3 players off the top of my head in Dublin are Ted Furman (Ballymun Kickhams), Luke Sweetman (Erins Isle) and Craig Dias (Kilmacud Crokes). All 3 have represented Dublin underage. Fran Usanga played senior hurling for Craobh Chiarain and also played on the Dublin colleges team. Not sure if he played minor for Dublin though.

I'm assuming this is a different chap to the fellow I played against down in East Cork maybe 3-4 years ago. He was defintely down here at Minor and U-21 level anyway, may have moved up to Dublin afterwards (maybe two years ago?).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Orizio wrote: »
    Sweetnam from Erins Isle.

On a slightly bizarre note, the fellow from Sligo who plays striker for Bohs (Cretaro or something like that) his brother used to play for the Sligo hurlers.

There is loads of lads who were born in Ireland with European surnames - Fulignati, that Mayo goalkeeper, that Tipp footballer etc.

Current Athlone Town FC goalkeeper and former Mayo GAA Minor keeper Michéal Schlingermann. His local GAA club is Kiltimagh. Also played for Sligo Rovers and Carlow IT.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Orizio wrote: »
    I'm assuming this is a different chap to the fellow I played against down in East Cork maybe 3-4 years ago. He was defintely down here at Minor and U-21 level anyway, may have moved up to Dublin afterwards (maybe two years ago?).

It's the same lad alright. He went to school in St Davids, Artane. Here's a bit more on him: http://www.herald.ie/sport/the-dubs/usanga-back-hunting-wins-with-craobh-1880915.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Current Athlone Town FC goalkeeper and former Mayo GAA Minor keeper Michéal Schlingermann. His local GAA club is Kiltimagh. Also played for Sligo Rovers and Carlow IT.

Is that where he is now.....seriously talented keeper.

Rafael Cretaro of Bohs was mentioned earlier.....Tubbercurry born and bred of Italian parentage (think i heard once they operate a chipper) and yes one of them played hurling for Sligo.

See a lot of school teams around longford with coloured lads on their teams....indeed one team were on the paper recently winning an under 14 competition and were captained by a polish lad i think. Also, Sean O'Heslins in Ballinamore have a lad playing senior for them for the last few years called Asanovich (I think it is).....

An Citeog wrote: »
    It's the same lad alright. He went to school in St Davids, Artane. Here's a bit more on him: http://www.herald.ie/sport/the-dubs/usanga-back-hunting-wins-with-craobh-1880915.html

Bizarre. Played against him at U-21 level and he destroyed us single-handedly from full-forward. Saw him play in that Intermediate final against Carrigtwohill and he was pretty poor, missed a sitter of a goal although he did set up a goal as well. Very strong and physical with enough hurling to make his physique count but I'm suprised to see that he played inter-county underage for Dublin, wouldn't have considered his skill levels quite that high.

He is probably the second most 'famous' person I have marked after Paudie Sul. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Saint_Mel wrote: »

Was wondering where he ended up. Was an outstanding keeper at Minor level for Mayo.

Hope he does well in the Soccer Leagues, but if that doesn't work out I'd love to see him back in Goals for Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Agus

Plenty of underage players around of different ethnicities now, and we will surely see some at senior county level.

Paddy Ruschitzko played hurling for Laois from the 1930s to the 1950s. Polish father, Irish mother. Laois were stronger in those days and he was the last man to captain Laois to a Leinster senior championship title and also to an All-Ireland final, in 1949.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Blackjack wrote: »
    Was wondering where he ended up. Was an outstanding keeper at Minor level for Mayo.

Hope he does well in the Soccer Leagues, but if that doesn't work out I'd love to see him back in Goals for Mayo.

Signed at the start of the season just finished as understudy to Chris Bennion. Took the No.1 shirt when Benno departed in July. Made 1 or 2 gaffs but more than made up for them with some unbelievable saves throughout the rest of the season. Sound fella off the pitch too.

• James Stephens had a young Bengali hurling for them on Up for the match a few months back. i think O'Loughlins have a young Nigerian playing for them. its probably the only way if at all possible this game could open up on a global scale not that its the ambition of the GAA or anything.

Matthew Macklin is birmingham born but represented Tipperary and Ballingarry (south tipp) at underage.

Sure doesn't Xabi Alonso have an All Ireland underage club medal with Kells :D

its probably the only way if at all possible this game could open up on a global scale not that its the ambition of the GAA or anything.

http://www.joe.ie/gaa/gaa-features/gaa-going-global-006737-1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

James Stephens had a young Bengali hurling for them on Up for the match a few months back. i think O'Loughlins have a young Nigerian playing for them. its probably the only way if at all possible this game could open up on a global scale not that its the ambition of the GAA or anything.

Matthew Macklin is birmingham born but represented Tipperary and Ballingarry (south tipp) at underage.

Sure doesn't Xabi Alonso have an All Ireland underage club medal with Kells :D

Ah ya see thats the roscommon blood in him coming through ....father is a Four Roads man-big hurling country!!!

• Orizio wrote: »

I suppose high emigration will also play a role. probably a better standard of hurler/footballer in lets say the likes of London or New York nowadays.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

What about the last time Laois won the Leinster Hurling Championship?
    1949 captained by Paddy "Rusty" Rustchitzko.
    Polish father, Irish mother. A real legend of the game.
    And that's not today or yesterday!

Advertisement