Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sent the text to the person the text was about

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    Am I the only person in the world who doesn't send nasty messages about people to mutual friends? Why do that? :confused:

*Groan*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

*Groan*

Seriously, though?

OP going 'oh, she'll think I was b*tching about her'.

That's exactly what you were doing. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

WHY has no-one invented an email system where you can immediately delete something you sent by accident before the Sendee reads it?? It seems so obvious.

The message was far too specific to the both of us to be a frape, so I'd imagine a "FCUK OFF LOLZ" would only worsen the situation.

And the last PMs we exchanged WERE about six months ago, so it'd be odd if they suddenly appeared in her inbox again. Besides, she assumedly has already received the notification.

So essentially, I'm screwed.

Ah feck it, we weren't that close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭BNMC

Just block the person straight after you send the FB message.

Am I the only person in the world who doesn't send nasty messages about people to mutual friends?

Yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 HughMann

If you're in the kitchen when you send the offensive message, quickly put your phone in the microwave and close the door. Leave it there for a couple of days until your phone gives up on trying to send it. If it's really offensive, turn on microwave, 3 minutes at reheat should do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Am I the only person in the world who doesn't send nasty messages about people to mutual friends? Why do that? :confused:
    I don't send nasty messages about friends to other friends of course, but if a friend was being really out of order, you might confide in another friend about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

beks101 wrote: »
    WHY has no-one invented an email system where you can immediately delete something you sent by accident before the Sendee reads it?? It seems so obvious.

You can recall messages with some clients as far as I know.

Plus I'm almost sure you can configure gmail to edit or cancel a sent message but it has a silly max configuration time that's quite short.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

Although you know the way it says "Seen at whatever time" when you send someone a PM (which is now kinda doubled up with Chat) on Facebook? Maybe it can be deleted before it's seen. It's like a thread that two people are sharing, so maybe deleting goes both ways before it's seen? No use if they have email notifications for PM's set up, but not everyone does.

• Advertisement

Was wondering how long it would take for the Morality Police to arrive.

Said friend has been a known flake in our circle for the last six months, blatantly ignoring invites, text messages, phone calls etc.

So this message was in response to another message from a mutual friend a few days ago where myself, and Flaky Friend, were invited to dinner. I will be leaving Canada FOREVER in three weeks, so don't have much time to waste. Sent Said Message, intended for our mutual friend, explaining that time is the essence and we don't have time to wait on Flaky Friend to respond, when she likely won't.

It's nothing I wouldn't say to her face, but I guess I framed it less "diplomatically", because it wasn't intended for her this time.

Ah feck it, I'm going with LegsEleven on this one. It might kick her into action if nothing else.

I don't send nasty messages about friends to other friends of course, but if a friend was being really out of order, you might confide in another friend about it.

As in out of concern or as in 'this bloody cow is doing my head in'?

I just think sending any sort of negative written message (text, email or FB message) about someone else is retarded, b*tching aside. There's way too much that can go wrong, from sending it to the wrong person to it being forwarded on to the person in question (by mistake or out of malice), to someone borrowing someone else's laptop/phone and seeing it. There's always a fairly high chance it will be seen by someone other than the intended recipient.

Although you know the way it says "Seen at whatever time" when you send someone a PM (which is now kinda doubled up with Chat) on Facebook? Maybe it can be deleted before it's seen. It's like a thread that two people are sharing, so maybe deleting goes both ways before it's seen? No use if they have email notifications for PM's set up, but not everyone does.

I wondered about this...but thought if I deleted it, it would just be gone from MY Inbox, and still present in hers?

Worth a shot I guess!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

Why don't you test it out with another friend on Facebook? Send them a message, wait, delete it and see if they got it?

Was wondering how long it would take for the Morality Police to arrive.

Said friend has been a known flake in our circle for the last six months, blatantly ignoring invites, text messages, phone calls etc.

So this message was in response to another message from a mutual friend a few days ago where myself, and Flaky Friend, were invited to dinner. I will be leaving Canada FOREVER in three weeks, so don't have much time to waste. Sent Said Message, intended for our mutual friend, explaining that time is the essence and we don't have time to wait on Flaky Friend to respond, when she likely won't.

It's nothing I wouldn't say to her face, but I guess I framed it less "diplomatically", because it wasn't intended for her this time.

Ah feck it, I'm going with LegsEleven on this one. It might kick her into action if nothing else.

Morality Police? I just don't like b*tching about friends behind their backs. People I don't like, yes, but not friends. I just don't get people who do this (and yes, I'm aware the majority of women do it). If the friend is being so annoying, why not tell her to her face? What is talking behind her back going to achieve?

Not responding to texts etc is annoying, but she'll probably be mortified to read what you wrote about her.

Say a friend was giving you grief about something and you said to another friend "Xyz has been giving me grief for whatever - has she been the same with you? I think she's being unfair." That's the one time I got caught out in this way. But I had also said it to the friend in question's face.

I don't think that's nastiness or bitching - it's pretty human stuff.

Beks explained that she didn't initiate a conversation to have a go at the person in question but just responded that her track record for meeting up etc over the last few months hadn't been good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Once was texting one of the lads about a girl I really liked and how I should go about trying to ask her out or whatever...sent it to the girl! Mortified!

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭TommiesTank

This is unfortunate, OP.

I hope you and you flaky friend can patch things up. You are in my thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

@OP- assuming there's no magic solution, I suggest just turning off your phone and internet. Go for a nice walk. Have a nice cup of tea. Have a nice early night. Today's a write-off. Today goes in the annals of history as a day you proved to yourself* beyond doubt that you are an eejit*. Today, you simply should have stayed in bed and all you can do now is sit back and deal with the fall-out.

Let both of you sleep on it and in the morning, call her and just tell her you're sorry. Don't give her a barrage of explanations. Just apologise and let what happens happen.

*supposedly your opinion, not ours :)

Say a friend was giving you grief about something and you said to another friend "Xyz has been giving me grief for whatever - has she been the same with you? I think she's being unfair." That's the one time I got caught out in this way. But I had also said it to the friend in question's face.

I don't think that's nastiness or bitching - it's pretty human stuff.

Beks explained that she didn't initiate a conversation to have a go at the person in question but just responded that her track record for meeting up etc over the last few months hadn't been good.

A lot depends on the way you say it. As a rule of thumb, I generally wouldn't write anything I wouldn't want the person in question to read. Partly because I think it's mean to say negative things about friends and partly because I'd be worried they'd read it and it would be mortifying for everyone concerned.

You can't really backtrack in this situation. I'd just put my hands up and say '****, messed up, that wasn't meant for you, really sorry." Nothing else you can do.

• Advertisement

Well, she replied and doesn't hate me. Which is nice.
    Still feel like an as5hole though.

Was thinking about it, and the last time this happened was when I was learning to drive with an instructor that my friend had recommended to me.

Before meeting him, she joked about him being a bit of a DILF, with about 40 years on the both of us, but a bit of a George Clooney vibe going on. George Clooney with a thick Dublin accent.

So I met the guy, drove around in circles and into a few ditches with him for an hour, and then sent a text to my friend, saying simply "RIDE".

About five seconds later I realized the mistake I had made, and suddenly my phone beeped, and he had replied....":):)"

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭seenitall

Was thinking about it, and the last time this happened was when I was learning to drive with an instructor that my friend had recommended to me.

Before meeting him, she joked about him being a bit of a DILF, with about 40 years on the both of us, but a bit of a George Clooney vibe going on. George Clooney with a thick Dublin accent.

So I met the guy, drove around in circles and into a few ditches with him for an hour, and then sent a text to my friend, saying simply "RIDE".

About five seconds later I realized the mistake I had made, and suddenly my phone beeped, and he had replied....":):)"

Yeah, but what were ye doing in those ditches, eh? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

sent a text to my friend, saying simply "RIDE".

Morto for yis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Should have replied back to him saying sorry you meant to send it to your mate asking for a ride home after the lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭redtapestyl

SV wrote: »
    A reasonable approach :pac:

although the last time I sent a message to the wrong person I ended up throwing the phone into the toilet out of panic.
    Eventually took it out, realising I was being stupid and dried it out..started working eventually and as it turned on, what's the first thing that pops up on the screen?

oh yes, those magical words....

Message sending failed.

Never been so happy :P
    Actually not a bad idea, I don't think mobile signals or radio waves travel through water

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Handy11

I sent a slightly suggestive sexy text to my then girlfriend a few years back, and just as I pressed send I remembered that she had just given her phone to her mother and had got a new number. Tried switching off the phone (like a previous poster said) to no avail. I was sh*tting it. Girlfriend thought it was hilarious. Had to wait 2 weeks for closure - went to her house and i made a b-line for the phone - it was switched off since she had gotten it!!!! :) I know it would have been taken in good humour but good jaysus was I relieved!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭seenitall

^^ The sexy text sent to the wrong person stories are funnier than the slagging text sent to the wrong person stories. Easier to get over the embarrassment too.

Thankfully I haven't had that happen yet, but I did receive a couple of texts off my ex that were clearly meant for his current gf! All lovey-dovey and superlatives-laden. It was funny but I felt kind of guilty for reading them! He phoned me straightaway and said he'd been trying to cancel them furiously before realising it's futile. Oh how we laughed. :pac:

Glad to read things are OK, beks. Talk about having cleared the air, and just in time for your final farewells. Every cloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Leogirl

Once pulled a sick day in work & texted my then boyfriend asking if he'd like to come over for some "fun" (except I didnt just say fun - I was WAY too descriptive), telling him I'd pulled a sickie & the boss bought it - sent it to my boss :(

Luckily he saw the funny side, docked a days annual leave & still slags me over it years later :)

• Site Banned Posts: 9 Orangebags

Wow, I found this stuff hard to read its that embarrasing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

This is why I never say anything about someone that I wouldn't say to their face. That's what you get for being bitchy. ;)

Advertisement