Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a used car in Ireland guide

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Bombbastic22

Did you even read the origional post :P:P:pac:

Alas, Limerick Man, I only skimmed it.

I shall hitherto endeavour to pay greater attention to each and every word of your eloquent brilliance as there is no doubt great wisdom to be acquired therein.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart, and my wife's bottom too :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::):):):):D:D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Something is dodgey there if he's saying he's a private seller.

Best thing is to ring him armed with your details and ask him straight out.

and shure he'll only say no........forget about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Starman07

Apologies if posting in the wrong thread, but have a quick question.

Bought a 2nd BMW from a dealer last week, 3 month warranty and full service.They serviced it the day i bought it, but i've just checked and they never stamped it in the book? Is there any reason why they wouldn't have? Or is it just an oversight? Bringing it back in next week to be valeted. Should i insist that it be stamped?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Don't insist they stamp the book, just ask. It was probably just a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

I'm looking to see what checks can be done on an Irish registered UK import car.

Obviously the SH, VLC, a full motorcheck but I've seen threads here about the V5 serial number and issue date, but isnt the V5 taken by revenue when you do the VRT? If you did have these how and what sort of checks can you do with them?

Anything else?

W.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

I'm looking to see what checks can be done on an Irish registered UK import car.

Obviously the SH, VLC, a full motorcheck but I've seen threads here about the V5 serial number and issue date, but isnt the V5 taken by revenue when you do the VRT? If you did have these how and what sort of checks can you do with them?

Anything else?

W.

if you have the english reg and english v5c doc no, you can do a dvla mot history check for free online.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭PatsyR

Is it ok or a bit dodgy to transfer money into the seller's bank account and collect the car later on the same day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Don't pay anything (beyond a reasonable deposit) until you have the car and keys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭Bob Cratchet

Blanking out number plates in car ads is all the rage now, supposedly to stop car cloning for tolls etc., but I'm sure it's also done to stop people doing a wee bit of research.

What are frequent buyers experiences regarding this ?

Blanking out number plates in car ads is all the rage now, supposedly to stop car cloning for tolls etc., but I'm sure it's also done to stop people doing a wee bit of research.

What are frequent buyers experiences regarding this ?

Is that the reason? It seems kind of dumb since you could do that with any car at anytime whose reg is visible. I mean, why bother going to look up cars online when you can see em right outside your door.

It would make more sense to cover your reg up before going through tolls right? That way they don't know where to send the fines.

P.S: Joke

• Advertisement

PatsyR wrote: »
    Is it ok or a bit dodgy to transfer money into the seller's bank account and collect the car later on the same day?

Very, very dodgy. I knew a guy once who sold the same motorbike to three different people - except that none of them actually got it.

Also, not sure if anyone has mentioned this but it's a good idea to ring the hp register to check if there is any finance owing on a vehicle cos you could be in hot water if there is

H.P register:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

Is that the reason? It seems kind of dumb since you could do that with any car at anytime whose reg is visible. I mean, why bother going to look up cars online when you can see em right outside your door.

but say i am looking to clone the reg of a blue mondeo. i could be walking/driving around for hours looking to see one that i could get the reg off. where as it would be so much easier to log on to an online car sales site, input the make and model and sometimes colour and presto i have a list to chose from..

sean1141 wrote: »
    but say i am looking to clone the reg of a blue mondeo. i could be walking/driving around for hours looking to see one that i could get the reg off. where as it would be so much easier to log on to an online car sales site, input the make and model and sometimes colour and presto i have a list to chose from..

Makes sense I guess.

Was looking at a few 09 Mitsubishi Lancers of late and noticed that a lot of them have had two owners already.

Does anyone else think it's dodgy for a car to have already had two owners in two years?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Was looking at a few 09 Mitsubishi Lancers of late and noticed that a lot of them have had two owners already.

Does anyone else think it's dodgy for a car to have already had two owners in two years?

Could be a co-incidence or the ones you looked at were origionally demos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭Bob Cratchet

sean1141 wrote: »

Interestingly I notice most dealers that advertise cars don't blur out the reg, so I'm a little suspicious of sellers that do.

Interestingly I notice most dealers that advertise cars don't blur out the reg, so I'm a little suspicious of sellers that do.

Aye, me too.

I'm a little concerned about cars imported from U.K and one's that are filthy when you go to see em as well...........I just think if you can't be bothered to clean it, you probably didn't look after it......

Aye, me too.

I'm a little concerned about cars imported from U.K and one's that are filthy when you go to see em as well...........I just think if you can't be bothered to clean it, you probably didn't look after it......

Spoiler: Now you see it, now you don't.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mitsubishi/Lancer/NEW-1.5-/201105201103453/advert?channel=CARS

Two different cars. Dodge or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

but dealers dont own the cars and most will have cctv cameras to prove the car was in the yard and not speeding/going through the toll where as a prive seller might not have an alibi as such

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

Hi all,

Looking at a car that is being sold by a family member as the owner is working abroad. So far all my checks seem legit, but how best can I protect myself to prove the relative has permission to sell the car on the owners behalf? I've seen the VLC and its been "signed" by the owner, but what proof is that? I can contact the owner by phone but again what proof is that also?

As I said so far all my checks seem legit...

Thanks In advance

W.

• Advertisement

If it's signed by the previous owner I wouldn't too worried as long as the logbook matches the car. Make sure they post it too.

If you really want to be sure, ask them for proof of id, then ask them to sign a bit of paper saying

"I ________ have sold the car with registration number _______ to __________ on behalf of ___________, as I have been given the permission to do so."

Sounds like a trader to me using the family member as an excuse, I wouldn't be too worried.

Eventually read all of your initial post (Limerick) and what you said about checking with Cartell.

Just wanted to say that I did a check with Cartell on a car I bought, it came up clean but the car turned out to be crashed and rather dodgy.

I'm not sure Cartell can tell you much more than you can find out anyway. Far as I can see it only tells you if there is finance on the vehicle (which you can find out yourself anyway by ringing the hp register in Dublin), how many owners it had (which is on the log book) and if it was written off (which you'll find out pretty quickly also).

I found it to be a bit of a waste of 35euro and it didn't help with the headache of a car I had. Got a refund eventually though.

Do you think I should start a thread "How to get a refund on a dodgy used car?" ;-)

I disagree.

I was going to buy a Passat (admittedly I used Motorcheck) and it told me it had 6 owners, normally that wouldn't bother me but it gave me the dates and the bulk of the owners were in very quick concession of each other. The car turned out to be a pile of ****e.

Same that I'd seen numerous clocked cars come up, crashed etc. (mostly UK imports).

It's not a necessity to used one of those sites, it's just another option to give you peace of mind on your few thousand euro spend.

I disagree.

I was going to buy a Passat (admittedly I used Motorcheck) and it told me it had 6 owners, normally that wouldn't bother me but it gave me the dates and the bulk of the owners were in very quick concession of each other. The car turned out to be a pile of ****e.

Same that I'd seen numerous clocked cars come up, crashed etc. (mostly UK imports).

It's not a necessity to used one of those sites, it's just another option to give you peace of mind on your few thousand euro spend.

Well, it sounds like it was money well spent in your case then.

It was a waste of money in mine though, though it was a different service.

It's sure no harm to do it and maybe in many cases it is money well spent, but no more than the N.C.T - there are no guarantees.

Oh there's a guarantee with the NCT alright, guaranteed to come out with 50 quid less than you went in with ;)

I disagree.

You really would buy a car with 6 previous owners? wowzers! Well, I guess if you have a good knowledge of motors it could be safe. I would be wary myself though.

Hey, you know about that cream on the filler cap thing you mentioned?? Is that absolutely a minor thing and as a result of a car doing lots of short journeys? I test drove about 15 cars today and about 80% of them had this creamy stuff on the filler caps. One in particular was caked in the stuff and others just had a small wee bit.

Also, can't all SIMI garages give you a Motorcheck report for free anyway?

Oh there's a guarantee with the NCT alright, guaranteed to come out with 50 quid less than you went in with ;)

hahaha.

Seems they are a lot harsher with it lately though, ever since the prime time exposure. Everyone I speak to seems to fail.

You really would buy a car with 6 previous owners? wowzers! Well, I guess if you have a good knowledge of motors it could be safe. I would be wary myself though.

My W124 had 12 owners and it currently has 16, that was since 01. It was perfect ish. On things like big end petrols cars, "spur of the moment cars" kinda thing, many owners wouldn't bother me. Someone might buy it thinking they can afford it, then flog it on again and the circle keeps going.
    Hey, you know about that cream on the filler cap thing you mentioned?? Is that absolutely a minor thing and as a result of a car doing lots of short journeys? I test drove about 15 cars today and about 80% of them had this creamy stuff on the filler caps. One in particular was caked in the stuff and others just had a small wee bit.

If you buy a car and the gunk on the cap turns out to be something more serious I'll foot bill. It's condensation in the engine, ie. water which mixes with the oil and gives that creamy colour, very common on cars sitting in forecourts etc. Now it's when it's on the end of the dipstick, that's when you should proceed with caution/walk away because it's more than likely headgasket failure (ie oil mixing with the water on a more serious level)
    Also, can't all SIMI garages give you a Motorcheck report for free anyway?

Most members of SIMI have access to beepbeep.ie, all the cars that are put on that have to be checked and greenlighted before they go live. Depends on the situation but most reputable garages have some form of access to cheaper, through bulk buying, or free reports.

Excellent! You've made up my mind on a wee Lancer I was looking at so!

The slightly creamy cap thing was making me worry a bit though.

You're sound out, Limerick Man!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,999 ✭✭✭✭Esel

If you buy a car and the gunk on the cap turns out to be something more serious I'll foot bill.
    Meaning you will pay for the repairs, or you will kick some guy called Bill? :confused::D

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement