Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How hard is it to get a job?

• 21-03-2012 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Sorry this isn't the most academic question ever, but how hard is it for a student to get a summer job?

I've been trying to get one (any one) each summer since 2010 but haven't been able to get one anywhere. Not in McDonalds, Burger king, small shops around Dublin, subway, Penneys, Boots, bars and resteraunts, other fast food resteraunts, as a cleaner, nothing. Is is genuinely this hard to get a summer job? Or am i really badly off the mark with where i'm looking?

In fairness, i'm 20, female, and in college in the US (tho im irish) and i don't have many connections in Ireland anymore apart from family and some friends, who don't really have any connections. So i've been only able to do online applicaions in advance (like February for the coming summer), as well as getting my mam to drop CVs off for me. This strategy clearly hasn't been working!

So, i was wondering, any ideas on how to get a summer job, doing anything, anywhere (preferably in Ireland, but abroad would be fine too)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

As with many things, the experience is entirely subjective. I know of people that walk into jobs and I know of plenty that, like yourself, find it woefully difficult.

I think the key problem for you here is a lack of connections, which you rightfully have taken notice of. Many part time jobs aren't advertised at all because the owner of the company will give the job to someone he knows and trusts to do the job because for him, that's a hell of alot easier than going through CVs and interviewing people.

I would also say that, in my earnest opinion, dropping CVs into store is a dreadfully inefficient means of acquiring employment. It costs money to print, takes up time in traveling from shop to shop and I have been told by more than one business owner that cold CVs just end up in the bin.

As to what you can do, you need to look at what connections you might actually have. You say you have few but I'm sure you know someone that might be able to help you. Do you have any family with businesses or friends that might? If you do, see if they can point you in the right direction. Many jobs never get advertised and sometimes, they don't even exist until someone asks.

It's not going to be easy but with a little luck, anything is doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

It depends on what you're willing to work at and how much for.

Anecdotally there are plenty of jobs around but people aren't willing to work for the low wages on offer (e.g. there's an ad in one of the galway papers - 300 jobs, 100 placements).

By all accounts the export sector is still going strong. So I'd start by finding out which recruitment agencies deal with multi national factories - they usually take on people over the summer.

There's usually summer jobs going in shops & pubs etc

Good luck.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

moved from politics

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭JSP

antoobrien wrote: »
    It depends on what you're willing to work at and how much for.

Anecdotally there are plenty of jobs around but people aren't willing to work for the low wages on offer (e.g. there's an ad in one of the galway papers - 300 jobs, 100 placements).
    which newspaper is that please?

JSP wrote: »
    which newspaper is that please?
    It's an initiative that's being run by the Connacht Tribune group (3 papers & local radio).

This article has some of the details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭JSP

antoobrien wrote: »
    It's an initiative that's being run by the Connacht Tribune group (3 papers & local radio).

This article has some of the details.
    Thanks
    Where are the jobs listed? I didn't see any in the online paper

JSP wrote: »
    Thanks
    Where are the jobs listed? I didn't see any in the online paper

Dunno anything about it apart from what i've posted, sorry. I suggest you contact the paper or anyone mentioned in the article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭janullrich

So true Richard. It very much it is who you know not what you know at the moment. I am visiting a good friend in the property industry today. He has connections everywhere. I am looking to set up something small and we are going to discuss it and see if he can talk to someone who will be willing to help me out.

Advertisement