Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on good milk frother

• 22-12-2008 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

After much thought and deliberation have decided to get a Bialetti over one the more expensive machines so was wondering if anyone can recommend a good milk frother I can use alongside it for making cappucinos and the like ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

I thought this might be worthy of a bump...

Also, any tips on frothing would be appreciated. I got a Nestle Aeroccino which many people seem to love but I have had no fun with it at all. It seems to be working fine but after a minute or so produces just warm milk with a few bubbles on top.

A Google suggested that the type of milk might be a factor but I have tried regular and reduced fat Golden Vale straight from the fridge.

Any thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

For cheap as chips milk frothing, get a french press.
    - Heat the milk to around 85 degrees - do not boil the milk.
    (Easiest method is propably to microwave the milk)
    - Pre-heat the french press with hot water then empty.
    - Place warm milk in french press and plunge up and down rapidly.
    You should notice the volume of milk expand as air is introduced.
    After 30-60 seconds plunging up and down you should have nice foam.

Keep your milk in the fridge when not using - milk that's left on a kitchen
    counter top will not froth as easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

i use a wee bodum battery powered frother.
    it does the job
    BODUM%20SCHIUMA%20FROTHER.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭bobbygirl

Thanks for the replies guys!! I have a french Press so will give that a go first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭TLG

JIZZLORD wrote: »
    i use a wee bodum battery powered frother.
    it does the job
    BODUM%20SCHIUMA%20FROTHER.jpg
    where do u get this in dublin?

• Advertisement

TLG wrote: »
    where do u get this in dublin?

http://homestoreandmore.ie/page/stores or any good kitchenware shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Frabosk make a great milk frother which works on the same principle as faffing around with your french press - except that you just stick it on a low hob to warm the milk. Bodum and others make similar affairs.

http://chefini.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=Chefini&Product_Code=FRAMILA&Category_Code=BRFR

alastair wrote: »
    Frabosk make a great milk frother which works on the same principle as faffing around with your french press - except that you just stick it on a low hob to warm the milk. Bodum and others make similar affairs.

http://chefini.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=Chefini&Product_Code=FRAMILA&Category_Code=BRFR

I picked up pretty much the exact same device from Lidl of all places for about €7. Microwave the milk and then just bung it in, it's what I use with the aeropress and when away from the espresso machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

All those battery powered things are sh*te, another cheap as chips way and the best way I've ever frothed milk as follows:

Heat up full fat milk in microwave in jug/mug.
    Put milk back into empty 500ml plastic milk carton (the ones with the handles).
    Put lid on and grab with a tea towel and shale vigorously for about 20-30 seconds.
    Tap the carton on the counter top a few times and open lid carefully.
    Add the milk to the mug with espresso shot in it and hey presto! Lovely milky coffee similiar to latté!

Thanks to Jamie Oliver for that one!

faigs wrote: »
    All those battery powered things are sh*te, another cheap as chips way and the best way I've ever frothed milk as follows:

Heat up full fat milk in microwave in jug/mug.
    Put milk back into empty 500ml plastic milk carton (the ones with the handles).
    Put lid on and grab with a tea towel and shale vigorously for about 20-30 seconds.
    Tap the carton on the counter top a few times and open lid carefully.
    Add the milk to the mug with espresso shot in it and hey presto! Lovely milky coffee similiar to latté!

Thanks to Jamie Oliver for that one!

the battery powered fella i use is grand, but it depends on the milk i use. though i will try that method in the morning :D

• Advertisement

worked like a dream

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

Glad to hear it, spread the word!

Advertisement