Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford to Dublin Train

• 15-08-2005 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

Nearly every time i have got the train from waterford to dublin on sundays @ 14:30, i have had to put up with noisy, drinking and very inebriated passengers who get on at kilkenny and drink away until they get into dublin, these people flaunt the law about alcohol on sunday trains. there are leaflets on every table advising commuters that alcohol is banned and unruly commuters will be ejected at intermediate stations.

This has never happened AFAIK, yesterday for example the ticket inspector told a group seated behind me to stop drinking they would claim ignorance of the leaflet tell the guy they would finish up after this last can, and when hes gone open up another one, if the ticket inspector came past again, they would claim that they were still on the last can.

Why doesnt irish rail do something about these people, its so bad i have seen other commuters avoid the dining car and toilets so that they do not have to pass these people?

Is there any point in placing a complaint with irish rail about these incidents?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

yes there is a point, always complain, no one will know about it if you dont. inform the gardai by mobile if you have to !! there is no point in putting up with that kind of behaviour when you are paying through the nose

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭enterprise

Yes complain to info@irishrail.ie or to Waterford station itself.

I travel quite regularly on the Waterford route and I have to say its my least enjoyable route to travel over - because of drunk people.

IE have employed Top security to patrol the 13.30, 14.30 and 18.30 Sunday departures from Waterford and banned alcohol on these trains, but these measures are usually F* all good, with one expection I had on the Bank Holiday Monday when the Top security guard made numerous trips through the journey and kept a good eye on matters.

At the end of the day its a social problem thats got to be overcome and until then IE is caught in the middle.

P.s. you don't pay through the nose for journeys on the Dublin / Waterford route!

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭daywalker

enterprise wrote:
    IE have employed Top security to patrol the 13.30, 14.30 and 18.30 Sunday departures from Waterford and banned alcohol on these trains, but these measures are usually F* all good, with one expection I had on the Bank Holiday Monday when the Top security guard made numerous trips through the journey and kept a good eye on matters.

ive noticed the last couple of times a lack of security gaurds, more cost-cutting measures probably.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 371 ✭✭Traffic

I travel on the 19 49 service from Carlow on a regular basis on a Sunday and there has always been a security presence onboard that makes regular passes though the train.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Is the drinking and associated drunken behaviour still happening on the Waterford to Dublin train?

Any why is the journey so unbelievably slow?:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Off-topic posts split off. Please note this thread is several years old.

Its slow in part because of single track, level crossings and the diversion into Kilkenny. Some trains now bypass Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Victor wrote: »
    Its slow in part because of single track, level crossings and the diversion into Kilkenny. Some trains now bypass Kilkenny.
    I was actually wondering about this the other day in the context of increasing service on Waterford-Dublin, especially the southern bit by introducing a commuter service into Waterford and reducing the need for stops by Dublin services. How much double/passing track is there between Waterford and Cherryville? There's parallel track out of Waterford station for about 2km but it's segregated - one for Dublin one for Limerick Junction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

How much double/passing track is there between Waterford and Cherryville?
    None, except for passing loops in Ballyhale and Kilkenny, Bagnalstown, Carlow and Athy stations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

and yes is the answer to the question about the drunken loutish behaviour on the waterford trains. This is still a problem but irish rail are making money out of it from the bar so nothing substantial will ever be done to stop this bad behaviour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Kilkenny 'skanger stag party' and 'skanger hen party' trains rather than Waterford trains ..strictly speaking.

• Advertisement

there was some nasty element on the 20:10 service to Carlow tonight, several wino's a couple of guys off their heads on meds or drugs and even one lad smoking his heroin two seats back from me.

i am thinking irish rail want carlow station to close along with all services to carlow? the staff cant be asked to deal with these people either as they are clearly dangerous so what is the answer? do irish rail put security guards on this train?

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Transportuser09

foggy_lad wrote: »
    there was some nasty element on the 20:10 service to Carlow tonight, several wino's a couple of guys off their heads on meds or drugs and even one lad smoking his heroin two seats back from me.

i am thinking irish rail want carlow station to close along with all services to carlow? the staff cant be asked to deal with these people either as they are clearly dangerous so what is the answer? do irish rail put security guards on this train?

Indeed. If this s a regular occurence IÉ should look at putting professional security people on these trains - I read of a similar situation last year on the Gorey line and I think they eventually put security personel on. Its an unnacceptable situation for passengers and staff to have to deal with.

they used to have a conductor on this train checking tickets but it must have been too dangerous to keep it up, health and safety would not allow working in those conditions most likely? i have not seen a ticket check on the last Carlow train since before christmas.

Advertisement