Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freaking out.com!

• 03-07-2011 7:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

hi all,
    Just wondering is anyone else disturbed by the cost of building in 2011???? we are building a new dormer bungalow in Tipperary. With quotes coming back from builders, electricians, plumbers and so on its coming in at roughly 90 /sq ft. house is 2500sq ft.!!! Some window companies wouldnt even look at it, they obviously have enough work!!! some people have priced DOUBLE others!!! I just cant believe it. Now we cant start anything or make any real decisions because of this. Help anyone!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

90 per ft sounds about right for a reasonable spec. can be done at a bit less but depends on what you want. if one item is less than aonother item make sure the specs are identical and the fitters or relevant contractor has the same standing within his or her field of expertise.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭wirehairmax

What did you expect? Materials have mostly gone up considerably and labour prices have bottomed out. Carpenters,brickies, sparks etc are mostly good value at the moment but you get what you pay for. Beware a price that sounds too good to be true and dont pay cash as the bad horror stories are becoming more and more common with people being left with shoddy bad work by dodgy guys from the dole queue who undercut legit businesses just to get started and then realise they cant finish the work to an acceptable standard and disappear.
    Why did you design a 2500sq ft house if you cant afford to build it? Do you really need a house that big? A well designed 1800-2000sq ft house is surely of adequate size for most modern families. Did your architect not advise you of costings before it went to planning? You could also have sought the services of a QS/PM to prepare a detailed cost analysis pre-planning. If you are feeling this way, this early into your build, I can only foresee a long and difficult build process ahead of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

OP please read here and here for wide ranging discussions on costs.

What costing documents ( drawings , specifications and contractual documentation ) do you have prepared for tendering ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Hi Katie..........don't panic
    hi all,
    Just wondering is anyone else disturbed by the cost of building in 2011???? we are building a new dormer bungalow in Tipperary. With quotes coming back from builders, electricians, plumbers and so on its coming in at roughly 90 /sq ft. house is 2500sq ft.!!!
    Looking at the links posted by sinnerboy above, I think you will find costs have reduced over the past year. What discussions on costs have you had since you started this journey.Did you discuss it with Arch. pre planning, or while you were waiting for planning to come through.Did you have to put together a costing for banking purposes.........if so it should not have come as a surprise
    Some window companies wouldnt even look at it, they obviously have enough work!!! some people have priced DOUBLE others!!!
    Remember you are at quote stage, and we are in a recession, if some window co's wont give you a quote.......move on........plenty looking for work out there........
    I just cant believe it. Now we cant start anything or make any real decisions because of this. Help anyone!!!!

Start by having a discussion with your Architect, on your budget, the costs obtained so far, and your options. If it appears you will overshoot, funds available, can you comprimise in certain areas.You have a long, and interesesting time ahead.........plenty of time to panic later.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭mistermister

Hi. You should look at getting windows abroad. I was getting prices of 8000 - 14000 for windows here and got a price of 3,000 from Poland including delivery to here. Fancy door handles here were around 35 for a pair and 15 for similar looking ones in Belgium last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,740 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

martinn123 wrote: »
    Hi Katie..........don't panicLooking at the links posted by sinnerboy above, I think you will find costs have reduced over the past year.

What cost's have reduced ? Every material has increased, and is about to increase again. Insulation alone has increased 3 times in 2011, and is due to go up again in August.

The only thing that's changed, and is now, frankly, on the floor, is labour. In my sphere, labour only accounts for 10% of the cost, so there's no big scope there.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    What cost's have reduced ? Every material has increased, and is about to increase again. Insulation alone has increased 3 times in 2011, and is due to go up again in August.

The only thing that's changed, and is now, frankly, on the floor, is labour. In my sphere, labour only accounts for 10% of the cost, so there's no big scope there.

From the Thread 2011 Building costs
    About 8 to 9 months ago our architect estimated our build to be about 100 euro per sq ft for a reasonably high-spec build. Due to delays in getting our plans together he now reckons it's down around 85 to 90 euro per sq ft on average for the same spec.

From the Thread 2010 Building costs
    moan77 wrote:
    Allow € 90 per square foot for builder finish, or allow € 150 per sq ft for descent finish or € 200 per sq ft for top notch. p.s. i am in Kilkenny and these are the prices down here, but up in the big smoke prices might be more.

So I am referring to overall, prices being quoted for building work.

From the Thread 2011 Building costs

...also illustrates what I said: materials costs all up, not down.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 ewanalex

OK now you have me freaking out!
    We have had several discussions with various builders/archetects etc and the average for builders finish for a 2700sqf dormer house and garage is approx €70 per sqf, i am certain we can get this down somehow!
    I have been reading up as much as i can and it really baffles me how the professionals come to this figure: can someone help me decide where my budget should go for a B1 rated house?
    Also we are so undecided on whether we woudl actually save anything if we go direct labour or contract?
    there is also confusion over the heating system to use, i had no idea where to add this post on this site as i have so many varying questions that it seemed to fit anywhere :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

ewanalex wrote: »
    Also we are so undecided on whether we woudl actually save anything if we go direct labour or contract?

The risk is that if you go direct labour you will only know the actual cost after the job is complete and you are going to need to spend a lot of your time on the project or you should consider engaging a project manager.

I had one project we tendered to contractors - the client thought prices were too expensive so she decided to go direct labour. At the end of the project when she totalled her costs, they came in quite a bit more than the lowest (and second lowest) tender recieved.

• Advertisement

Thank you for the quick reply but the reason I'm confused is I guess we don't fully understand where these quotes come from and how they can vary so much, for example if I allow the following budget surely doubling the figure makes no sense

2700sqf
    Concrete floors up and down
    Underfloor heating up and down stairs
    Can't decide yet on heating system (help)
    B1 rating

Groundworks - 13000
    Blockwork - 15000
    plumbing - 10000
    Electrics - 10000
    Carpentry - 10000
    Windows - 12000
    Roof - 12000
    Plastering - 8000

Now the above comes to q very approximate 100k, it's a pretty standard job with no major issues from what I know the only bespoke thing is a long shaped window which we have been quoted 3500 for min!!
    Also it's a dormer so there are 9 gelid and 17 standard windows 900 wide,
    We are waiting on some quotes back but we have no idea what's good or bad so we've no idea if were getting a good deal and the quotes that have come back so far are 200k +++ ? hence why I'm confused! Help!!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Where did you get your budget figures from???

E 200k, in my opinion, sounds about right for a basic 2700sq.ft. dormer bungalow/house (to B1) - or at least it sounds more right than E 100k?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

ewanalex you seem to be missing some major parts in your figures. Heck if you can build a 2700sq/ft house for 100K then your talking 37 per sq/ft. If you manage that let us know how :).

We were given this as a rough guide to the break down of an overall build cost.

Site Clearance 3%
    Foundation 9%
    External Walls 17%
    Roof 9%
    Windows and External Doors 7%
    Upper Floor 2%
    Stairs 1%
    Internal Walls 2.5%
    Internal Doors 2.5%
    Floor Finishes 4%
    Wall Finishes 5%
    Ceiling Finishes 2%
    Heating 6%
    Electrical Installation 4%
    Water Installation (Cold/Warm) 2%
    Waste & Sanitary 7%
    Kitchen 5%
    Built In Cupboards 1%
    Professional Fees 11%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Katienewbuild

sorry guys, I diddnt mean to freak people out with this thread. A couple of days since ive posted it and already companies are coming down in price, Its funny what happens when you decide to really really make a million and one phone calls etc what you can achieve, example one: timberframe companies, same U value, same airtightness: 13000 in difference
    example two: plasterer internal and external: 20000 with one "fantastic Plasterer" 80000 with another "fantastic plasterer" some difference!!!!!!!! Both mens work has been seen!!
    anyways, after freaking out .com we've decided to put on the breaks and take our time until the prices are right we cant afford to build in this " recession" climate free for all!!!!!

• Subscribers Posts: 40,721 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

kayos wrote: »
    ewanalex you seem to be missing some major parts in your figures. Heck if you can build a 2700sq/ft house for 100K then your talking 37 per sq/ft. If you manage that let us know how :).

Site Clearance 3%
    Foundation 9%
    External Walls 17%
    Roof 9%
    Upper Floor 2%
    Stairs 1%
    Internal Walls 2.5%
    Internal Doors 2.5%
    Floor Finishes 4%
    Wall Finishes 5%
    Ceiling Finishes 2%
    Heating 6%
    Waste & Sanitary 7%
    Kitchen 5%
    Built In Cupboards 1%
    Professional Fees 11%

NEARLY CHOKED THERE !!!

what professional fees are entailing 11% of the build costs??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

sydthebeat wrote: »
    NEARLY CHOKED THERE !!!

what professional fees are entailing 11% of the build costs??

Good question :).

http://www.iaosb.com/html/cost_of_construction.html is where that list is from.

But you know the interweb is can be a great source of useless information. But I'm guessing like the scs rebuild costs the real costs would be lower.

sorry guys, I diddnt mean to freak people out with this thread. A couple of days since ive posted it and already companies are coming down in price, Its funny what happens when you decide to really really make a million and one phone calls etc what you can achieve, example one: timberframe companies, same U value, same airtightness: 13000 in difference
    example two: plasterer internal and external: 20000 with one ''fantastic Plasterer'' 80000 with another ''fantastic plasterer'' some difference!!!!!!!! Both mens work has been seen!!
    anyways, after freaking out .com we've decided to put on the breaks and take our time until the prices are right we cant afford to build in this ''recession'' climate free for all!!!!!

Sorry to hear you are postponing, at this time. Can I ask however how you managed to get this far....obtaining planning........without considering the build costs.What discussions did you have with say your Architect/Engineer, when designing the house?While the quotes you posted above especially for the Plasterer are mad, I am not sure prices will fall much more that at present.Best of luck.....whatever you decide

kayos wrote: »

Site Clearance 3%
    Foundation 9%
    External Walls 17%
    Roof 9%
    Upper Floor 2%
    Stairs 1%
    Internal Walls 2.5%
    Internal Doors 2.5%
    Floor Finishes 4%
    Wall Finishes 5%
    Ceiling Finishes 2%
    Heating 6%
    Waste & Sanitary 7%
    Kitchen 5%
    Built In Cupboards 1%
    Professional Fees 11%

That system is grand, in principle - but don't use as a bible, it's way too simplistic. For a start, it makes no distinction between methods-of-build or time-on-site. It doesn't make any reference to standards or quality of components. I don't see 'preliminaries' on the list; scaffolding, insurance, skips, esb/water/phone connections etc etc.

Based on my own build, I can tell you the stairs % alone is just plain wrong. I think windows & doors is too low, for performing items.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 45,759 ✭✭✭✭muffler

The external walls/roof percentages in the list are or would be very much wide of the mark on a lot of houses.

Wow, i wish i had of posted long ago now on this site, there seems to be more information available here than anywhere else! Thank you!
    The list (budget) i posted was basically my simplistic way of looking at building a house and where the costs may go, i find it hard to believe that realistically i could be 100k out? I am not deluded and realise there are costs that i am leaving out but where can you get real advice on this and totally unbiased, the tradespeople we have spoken to so far are all biased and giving us details to suit what they know is being charged in the area!
    So if i start at the bottom.... what is a reasonable price to pay for ground works and foundations of a 2700sqf house, obviously groundworks being only 1350sqf?
    So 1350sqf of groundworks, fairly standard job no major issues that i know of....

• Advertisement

OK now you have me freaking out!
    We have had several discussions with various builders/archetects etc and the average for builders finish for a 2700sqf dormer house and garage is approx €70 per sqf, i am certain we can get this down somehow!
    I have been reading up as much as i can and it really baffles me how the professionals come to this figure: can someone help me decide where my budget should go for a B1 rated house?
    there is also confusion over the heating system to use, i had no idea where to add this post on this site as i have so many varying questions that it seemed to fit anywhere :)
    You are on the budget for B1 at €70 already imho. If you keep going down, cost-wise, you are also going to go down the BER scale as well. You cannot make an omelette without breaking eggs ! :)
    Wow, i wish i had of posted long ago now on this site, there seems to be more information available here than anywhere else! Thank you!
    The list (budget) i posted was basically my simplistic way of looking at building a house and where the costs may go, i find it hard to believe that realistically i could be 100k out? I am not deluded and realise there are costs that i am leaving out but where can you get real advice on this and totally unbiased, the tradespeople we have spoken to so far are all biased and giving us details to suit what they know is being charged in the area!
    So if i start at the bottom.... what is a reasonable price to pay for ground works and foundations of a 2700sqf house, obviously groundworks being only 1350sqf?
    So 1350sqf of groundworks, fairly standard job no major issues that i know of....

There is no such thing as a 'standard' price for groundworks. You will only get a sum to cover the quantifiable stuff: concrete, steel, labour, misc materials, and, say 400mm of fill and excavating to 600mm deep. Let me give you an example: we have 2 sites on-going at the moment, one near Nenagh, one near Oranmore.

The Nenagh site has had huge on-site costs brought to it by it's location, but at the same time not varying too much from the estimate. The Oranmore site has gone haywire. One side of the site alone has had 2m of material excavated - that is 1400mm deeper than the sums on the estimate -ergo, the cost has gone out the window..........

Even my build, started in 2006 - trial hole went well, by JCB. Once project started on site, they hit sheer rock, which involved a rock-breaker for 5 days. Between the extra time, equipment and fill, I think it added.....€5k to the groundworks bill alone.

You have to appreciate there is simply no way of knowing, until the digger moves in, what he's going to find down there.....so all prices on groundworks are only estimates.

If you could guarantee the perfect site, with no soft or hard spots, you could conceivably do it for about €9k. Or €15k. See what I mean ?

Ode To The Motorist

galwaytt wrote: »
    You have to appreciate there is simply no way of knowing, until the digger moves in, what he's going to find down there.....so all prices on groundworks are only estimates.

If you could guarantee the perfect site, with no soft or hard spots, you could conceivably do it for about €9k. Or €15k. See what I mean ?

OK so then in theory it's impossible for any builder/contractor to give an exact quote based on drawings alone? Correct? For example if we get quoted 20k for Groundworks and foundations then realistically this tradesperson has no idea what it will actually cost without viewing my site before building? I cannot accept someone giving me a quote based on an awkward site for example 20k and then the site turns out to be easy and simple and we dont see the benefit of a reduction in the costs?
    Can you see where I am going with this? I just find it so hard to understand how these tradespeople provide quotes without really knowing what it will cost and it could actually cost less than what they are allowing for..... :(
    We were allowing approx 20k for foundations and site clearance...mmm:confused:

OK so then in theory it's impossible for any builder/contractor to give an exact quote based on drawings alone? Correct? For example if we get quoted 20k for Groundworks and foundations then realistically this tradesperson has no idea what it will actually cost without viewing my site before building? I cannot accept someone giving me a quote based on an awkward site for example 20k and then the site turns out to be easy and simple and we dont see the benefit of a reduction in the costs?
    You might be looking at this from the wrong perspective.The quote's will more likely be based on the assumption of a good site, but with a get out clause, should say Rock be found.So discuss with the contractor what are the assumptions, and if a difficulty is encountered, then you will have the opportunity to allow/ not agree any additional costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭mistermister

No offence, but I think you are a bit naive about this housebuilding business. I am not an expert but even I know that the foundation is the only unpredicatable part of the budget. Everything else can be accurately estimated.

You won't know what's under the ground untill you dig.

You're totally correct, I am completely naive as this will be my first (& last) time to ever build a house. But I hope you can appreciate that I feel sometimes my naiviety is getting us ripped off, we have had some quotes back now and there is such discrepancies between all the quotes for varying jobs etc. that I have to wonder hwo on earth they come to these quotes.
    We both realise that we are looking at approx 180k to build based on a previous post is the below completely incorrect?
    Site Clearance *3% 5400
    Foundation *9% 16,200
    External Walls 17% 30,600
    Roof *9% 16,200
    Windows and External Doors *7% 12,600
    Upper Floor 2% 3,600
    Stairs 1% 1,800
    Internal Walls 2.50% 4,500
    Internal Doors 2.50% 4,500
    Floor Finishes 4% 7,200
    Wall Finishes 5% 9,000
    Ceiling Finishes 2% 3,600
    Heating 6% 10,800
    Electrical Installation 4% 7,200
    Water Installation (Cold/Warm) 2% 3,600
    Waste & Sanitary 7% 12,600
    Kitchen 5% 9,000
    Built In Cupboards 1% 1,800
    Professional Fees 11% 19,800

As for the 19800 for pro fee's this will not happen, but i have just based this on a previous post from earlier and it does seem to be feesible? Am i still being naive?

• Subscribers Posts: 40,721 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

You're totally correct, I am completely naive as this will be my first (& last) time to ever build a house. But I hope you can appreciate that I feel sometimes my naiviety is getting us ripped off, we have had some quotes back now and there is such discrepancies between all the quotes for varying jobs etc. that I have to wonder hwo on earth they come to these quotes.
    We both realise that we are looking at approx 180k to build based on a previous post is the below completely incorrect?
    Site Clearance *3% 5400
    Foundation *9% 16,200
    External Walls 17% 30,600
    Roof *9% 16,200
    Windows and External Doors *7% 12,600
    Upper Floor 2% 3,600
    Stairs 1% 1,800
    Internal Walls 2.50% 4,500
    Internal Doors 2.50% 4,500
    Floor Finishes 4% 7,200
    Wall Finishes 5% 9,000
    Ceiling Finishes 2% 3,600
    Heating 6% 10,800
    Electrical Installation 4% 7,200
    Water Installation (Cold/Warm) 2% 3,600
    Waste & Sanitary 7% 12,600
    Kitchen 5% 9,000
    Built In Cupboards 1% 1,800
    Professional Fees 11% 19,800

As for the 19800 for pro fee's this will not happen, but i have just based this on a previous post from earlier and it does seem to be feesible? Am i still being naive?

i think a lot of these percentages have been questioned by other posters but my views would be
    1. the stair % is completely out. You could be looking at 5 times that for a half decent stair in a good quality wood
    2. professional fees are way to high for todays climate
    3. assuming wall finishes is plastering??
    4. the roof % and the foundation % are way off... expect the roof be in the region 3 - 4 times the foundation cost.
    5 windows and doors % are completely relative to the number, size, type and performance required. If you want high performing (ie u value < 1.0) in a 2700 sq ft hse you could add another 8K to that quote
    6. Plumbing is totalling out at 25K which is way too high...

my advice, engage a QS to do a BOQ from a detailed specification... then get tenders based on these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Katienewbuild

Sorry to hear you are postponing, at this time. Can I ask however how you managed to get this far....obtaining planning........without considering the build costs.What discussions did you have with say your Architect/Engineer, when designing the house?While the quotes you posted above especially for the Plasterer are mad, I am not sure prices will fall much more that at present.Best of luck.....whatever you decide

Hi,
    Em, we did out our estimates and cost, very realistically at the time and have a similar build and design in the area which was helpful. We felt that 200000 should get the house built and some what ready to live in, leaving some bedrooms etc to be finished over time if needs be. Now though, pen to paper, trips to hardware stores, increases in insullation and so on, the price has really gone up in some areas. We fully expected most of this and my husband is working with cement/ conctete/pipes etc everyday. It would seem that people are out there just to rip people off following a recession. Hence the reason why I wrote this post to begin with. I honestly thought and was told by lots of people that now was te time to build post/during recession, people out of work and so on and realistically, where I am living that is just not the case. Whats actually going on is really scary!!!

Hi,
    Em, we did out our estimates and cost, very realistically at the time and have a similar build and design in the area which was helpful. We felt that 200000 should get the house built and some what ready to live in, leaving some bedrooms etc to be finished over time if needs be. Now though, pen to paper, trips to hardware stores, increases in insullation and so on, the price has really gone up in some areas. We fully expected most of this and my husband is working with cement/ conctete/pipes etc everyday. It would seem that people are out there just to rip people off following a recession. Hence the reason why I wrote this post to begin with. I honestly thought and was told by lots of people that now was te time to build post/during recession, people out of work and so on and realistically, where I am living that is just not the case. Whats actually going on is really scary!!!

Thanks for the detailed reply.......having followed various threads here....2500SqFt for 200K, so 80SqFt......sounds a bit low. Your first post mentions 90SqFt.I have no idea what is going on in Tipp, but in the Dublin area, I can tell you Contractors are crying out for work. If you can bargain, and have time to get enough quotes, there is very good value out there.OK some materials have gone up in price this year.....but the recession is far from over....if you have the funds available you are in a strong position to bargain at every stage......Best of luck

Thank you again for all the advice. Its great to have some feedback from others. After I get some specific quotes i will feedback here, but I will also be asking for itemised rating so i can clearly see what is being charged for!

• Advertisement

Hi,
    Em, we did out our estimates and cost, very realistically at the time and have a similar build and design in the area which was helpful. We felt that 200000 should get the house built and some what ready to live in, leaving some bedrooms etc to be finished over time if needs be. Now though, pen to paper, trips to hardware stores, increases in insullation and so on, the price has really gone up in some areas. We fully expected most of this
    ...which backs up a lot of my posts: materials are on the up, and will continue to do so. Only labour has changed, which brings me to.....
    ....and my husband is working with cement/ conctete/pipes etc everyday. It would seem that people are out there just to rip people off following a recession. Hence the reason why I wrote this post to begin with. I honestly thought and was told by lots of people that now was te time to build post/during recession, people out of work and so on and realistically, where I am living that is just not the case. Whats actually going on is really scary!!!

..with all due respect, your husband, in a related trade, also needs €XXX to earn a living, like we all do, so you would have an idea of what 'rates' need to be. So if you admit materials have gone up, and the only thing left is labour, and taking, say, your husband's knowledge of what it takes to earn a living, where do you think the 'rip-off' is ?

I don't know anyone in the trade making anything other than tiny margins - if any. It' simply not there.

And, if wages ever go back up, then, yes, this will have been the time to have built, so that won't change.

What is "scary" to me, is that I think people are under-estimating the jobs in the first place, and so projects are starting out on a false premise, as it were.........and that will only end in tears. BTDT.

Ode To The Motorist

Advertisement