Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much is 1G of data?

• 04-06-2011 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Hi all,

Was in a Meteor shop today and seen a package of 200 mins, 200 texts and 1G data for €30 per month. I'm half thimking about going for it.
    My questions is as title suggests, how much is 1G of data? I wouldn't be downloading music or movies but just using facebook, a bit of surfing, a few apps and maybe youtube and email now and again. Is 1G enough or would I find myself going over each month?
    What, if you don't mind saying, would be your average usage?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

igb is plenty to be honest, in my 4 years of being on an iphone, i've NEVER once gone over the data usage...and i'm a heavy user!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Helpfully posted by FNZ on the thread about the Vodafone free 250MB

nielsen-data-usage.png

This would suggest that while 250MB wouldn't see you through the month, the 1GB should see a most people through the month.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19736_7-20067887-251.html#ixzz1OEud8mB3

It partly depends on your signal, without 3G you might find it hard to anywhere near this.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

muppet_man wrote: »
    I wouldn't be downloading music or movies but just using facebook, a bit of surfing, a few apps and maybe youtube and email now and again.

Everything on your list is OK except for YouTube. A typical YouTube mobile video will eat up about 2 MB per minute, so a 5 minute video will eat up 10 MB and 1 GB would give you about 8 hours of video per month. Be careful!

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭xaoifsx

yes i always wondered this..i was thinking of getting to 700mb package when i get the samsung galaxy s2 on prepay.. and i always thought this could be too little..but that helps alot..thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭muppet_man

Thanks ardmacha, that report pretty much raps it up for me.
    Unless ye go nuts and download massive files 1G should be enough. I'm sure there's some sort of app out there to track data usage.
    Now the fun of picking which phone is best for me :confused:

Edit: Thanks for warning blaz, thats good to know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

If you need to ask, then 1GB is probably plenty :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Max Power 2010

1GB is perfect for that type of usage, I have a desire HD with 2GB allowance and I struggle to hit 1GB with very heavy usage and the odd bit of facetube.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Its grand aslong as you dont go on youtube or watch any other video online for that mater. Loading heavy sites can eat up quite a bit too

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭LukeS_

Just a little heads up, you can get the same deal on the meteor online site for 25E. Saves you a fiver. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

LukeS_ wrote: »
    Just a little heads up, you can get the same deal on the meteor online site for 25E. Saves you a fiver. ;)

Well if he wants to keep his number he will have to do all the hard work himself then :) Because the site wont allow number porting from PAYG Meteor to BP Meteor. So unless hes on a different network he would have to order a new Meteor Number. Wait till he gets the sim in the post. Then once he gets it ring CC and then ask them to port it :)

So its alot easier to go to the shop and just ask them to sign ya up on it and then port the number to the same sim card :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Well if he wants to keep his number he will have to do all the hard work himself then :) Because the site wont allow number porting from PAYG Meteor to BP Meteor. So unless hes on a different network he would have to order a new Meteor Number. Wait till he gets the sim in the post. Then once he gets it ring CC and then ask them to port it :)

So its alot easier to go to the shop and just ask them to sign ya up on it and then port the number to the same sim card :)

Not quite right. Unless this has changed in the last 6 weeks, the OP has another option. Simply try to submit the application online, when the system realises its a pre to post application it should fail but provide the user with a reference number. Bring said number to a store and the lads can submit the application and apply the discounted monthly price

Again, this may have changed in the last 6 weeks but its worth a try

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Marco85

theteal wrote: »
    Not quite right. Unless this has changed in the last 6 weeks, the OP has another option. Simply try to submit the application online, when the system realises its a pre to post application it should fail but provide the user with a reference number. Bring said number to a store and the lads can submit the application and apply the discounted monthly price

Again, this may have changed in the last 6 weeks but its worth a try

so u just fill in the form as if your buying the phone and then when you go to the checkout it will fail and give you a reference number??????

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I think 1Gb is not enough and that 2GB is better suited. Most of the time I use well less than 1GB but this month I'll be hitting 1.5Gb and thats with using wifi at work and at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Marco85 wrote: »
    so u just fill in the form as if your buying the phone and then when you go to the checkout it will fail and give you a reference number??????

yup, that's pretty much exactly what happened (again i stress, this was up to six weeks ago, things do change but surely it's worth a lash)
    I think 1Gb is not enough and that 2GB is better suited. Most of the time I use well less than 1GB but this month I'll be hitting 1.5Gb and thats with using wifi at work and at home.

i have found myself relocated to the uk, my phone data bundle is a whopping 500mb :eek:

1gig really should suffice for the average user - watch the youtube usage OP

Advertisement