Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic Conversion

• 16-09-2012 8:49am
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Looking for an average cost of an attic conversion. It's in Dublin, and sizewise it's one of the original council houses (1959s built) in the likes of Ballyfermot/Crumlin etc.

It's to be made into a bedroom so there would be a need for two skylights and a small enough stairs.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,762 ✭✭✭✭muffler

No idea of costs but if you go the front page here of the forum and in the "search this forum" box (located top right) type in "attic conversion" and this will bring up a few past threads on the topic.

i note that you are proposing to include a bedroom and you say you want "a small enough stairs" I would recommend you have a read at this leaflet. :)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Thanks! I had a search but being on the mobile not the easiest to navigate! I'll have a read over what you linked.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,762 ✭✭✭✭muffler

No problem, I just typed that in myself and hey presto :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 munich

antodeco wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Looking for an average cost of an attic conversion. It's in Dublin, and sizewise it's one of the original council houses (1959s built) in the likes of Ballyfermot/Crumlin etc.

It's to be made into a bedroom so there would be a need for two skylights and a small enough stairs.

Thanks
    <SNIP>

Mod note: Account has been closed so I suspect a little porky has been told

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 809 ✭✭✭frankosw

Had my attic done with one skylight,a pulldown stairs,flooring,insulation behind palsterboard.moving the tank etc for 2000 recently. Did a very good job too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭dmca77

frankosw wrote: »
    Had my attic done with one skylight,a pulldown stairs,flooring,insulation behind palsterboard.moving the tank etc for 2000 recently. Did a very good job too.

Who done this for you?
    Seams a good price.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

dmca77 wrote: »
    Seams a good price.

Yeah. Way too good! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭fealeranger

That sounds extremly cheap. Was this for labour and material? How big was the attic?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭650gs

This is impossible

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭650gs

This would cost you 12,000 euro that includes stairs, 2 large velux windows, 1 small velux window to let light to the stairs, steel to support the roof/floor all plumbing,laminate flooring and painted.
    Also included is the cert most important for selling or borrowing on the house.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 809 ✭✭✭frankosw

That sounds extremly cheap. Was this for labour and material? How big was the attic?

The attic is quite large...it was a 1960's council house in north duiblin.

Price was inclusive of flooring,plasterboard,the velux window,two electrical points and an overhead flourescent light. The pulldown staircase now i recall was another 300 so it was 2300 altogether not 2000 as i originally stated. I can provide pics if anybody wants top see em.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Price was inclusive of flooring,plasterboard,the velux window,two electrical points and an overhead flourescent light. The pulldown staircase now i recall was another 300 so it was 2300 altogether not 2000 as i originally stated. I can provide pics if anybody wants top see em.

Any insulation, structural works/steel beams, additional floor joists, vents at eaves and ridge, engineer/architect opinion on compliance......?

Despite what you have said/confirmed, still sounds too good to be ture - and - that's being honest (not begrudging). :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭Galego

The attic is quite large...it was a 1960's council house in north duiblin.

May I ask you to pm the person/company who carried this work for you?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 purplerain1

yes i got a quote from somebody & it came in around 2000 euro.this was for staire,two velux insulation & the other usal bits,but when we mentioned a cert they never came back to us.If this is not certified your whole roof structure can come down.They hadnt said anything about steel beams.Too cheap = big problems in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 charlie3

Purplerain1
    I'm in the building game over 13 years Even with my Trade discount in My local builders providers And with building the stairs myself from scratch
    2000€ Would not even cover the cost of materials ! Would love to hear what insulation thay were using Just for the crack ,

we only want a hobby room up in attic with two velux & pull down stairs it wont be used as bedroom. its for my son who has autisium & he is crazy about trains SO we are only looking for basic job but i have those triangler beams in center of attic,so i know the structure has to be altered.dos any body have an idea how much just to get the structure work done witch i think needs steels put in.Then maybe we could do the other work later on ourselves.Any information would be grateful.

.....so i know the structure has to be altered.dos any body have an idea how much just to get the structure work done witch i think needs steels put in..

First stop should be a structural engineer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,538 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Putting steel into any attic conversion is a major problem, even getting any good length of purlin in can be tricky. If you are considering a pull down stairs, you are talking about getting steels through a trap door! or do you punch a hole in the roof to get them in? factor in that cost as well, and probably height hire to get it up there.

One little item (steel) can push costs up by 20 - 30%.

The main points to be considered in any attic conversion:
    The proposed use,
    Structural stability,
    volume of conversion to likely work load,
    access,
    can existing joists take new floor usage?
    is counter battening needed for insulating at rafters?
    lighting/ventilation/windows,
    Building Regulations for the remainder of the structure outside of the converted attic,
    Insulations/ventilation/heating,
    electrics,
    finishes,
    Structural engineer,
    planning permission,
    certification.

If all of the above is not taken account of during a conversion, I would be advising any potential buyer of such a property to walk away. Interfering with any part of the structural envelope of a building by any novice is inviting trouble. To suggest that you can get any attic space converted to present Building Regulations, by any building contractor, for €2,000 is just silly.

thanks for reply

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Lauriemono

Just been quote €8,500 for attic conversion. One guy 3 weeks labour and he will supply list of material he will need for the entire job which we have to get ourselves. What do you think of this price will supply a cert and structural engineer to check.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 nopopehere

€8,500 for labour ? materials including stairs which must be 800mm wide to comply with building & fire regulations €850.00, steel beams <SNIP> €650.00, fire resistant insulation between the suspended flooring joists in the dwarf walls (above the structural steel beams)150mm even though the conversion would be classed as storage only. joisting, stud work, flooring, hard insulation between the roof rafters, insulation backed plasterboard for the gable walls, electrics l.e.d downlighters,a mains operated smoke detection alarm,all relevent plumbing,with a plaster skim finish, an "exempt from planing" cert. ( a legal document, which must accompany your deeds,€7,500.00
    Totals €17,500.00 should be €13,450.00. the labour is too expensive.

Mod edit: Do not state the size of structural steel. Read the forum charter please

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Lauriemono

nopopehere wrote: »
    €8,500 for labour ? materials including stairs which must be 800mm wide to comply with building & fire regulations €850.00, steel beams <SNIP> €650.00, fire resistant insulation between the suspended flooring joists in the dwarf walls (above the structural steel beams)150mm even though the conversion would be classed as storage only. joisting, stud work, flooring, hard insulation between the roof rafters, insulation backed plasterboard for the gable walls, electrics l.e.d downlighters,a mains operated smoke detection alarm,all relevent plumbing,with a plaster skim finish, an "exempt from planing" cert. ( a legal document, which must accompany your deeds,€7,500.00
    Totals €17,500.00 should be €13,450.00. the labour is too expensive.

Mod edit: Do not state the size of structural steel. Read the forum charter please

No it's 8,500 for everything he's a friend of our neighbours and did there attic aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Rodney1111

Lauriemono wrote: »
    No it's 8,500 for everything he's a friend of our neighbours and did there attic aswell
    I am looking to have my attic converted to a bedroom with full set of stairs and two velux windows, the size is 5.5 meters by 4.8 and the tank would have to me moved, can anyone give me a number of a builder that they have used before for the same as I have got three quotes and all are above 14,000 but looking to have it done for around 10k. I live in Dublin 11

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Rodney1111 wrote: »
    all are above 14,000
    well then that what it costs!!!

Brian, the first quote I got was 16,300 the next was 14,200 and the last I got was 14,900, but my brother had his done about a year ago for 9,500 the same house as mine and he got a grate job done but he lost that guys details so I am shopping around to try get it for around 10k if I can.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I am looking to have my attic converted to a bedroom with full set of stairs and two velux windows, the size is 5.5 meters by 4.8 and the tank would have to me moved, can anyone give me a number of a builder that they have used before for the same as I have got three quotes and all are above 14,000 but looking to have it done for around 10k. I live in Dublin 11
    Brian, the first quote I got was 16,300 the next was 14,200 and the last I got was 14,900, but my brother had his done about a year ago for 9,500 the same house as mine and he got a grate job done but he lost that guys details so I am shopping around to try get it for around 10k if I can.

Im based in D11 and INHO, you will not get an attic conversion with full stairs and compliant with Building Regulations for under 10k.

Have you taken into account the fact you are now creating a second storey onto the house and the implicationa of Part B of the Building Regulations that will affect it ie. Fire Doors, Protected escape etc

Thanks for you reply kceire,

I was asking my brother in law who is a carpenter did he know of a builder to do the job for me and he said we should give it a go our selves, I am a plasterer by trade myself but haven't lifted a trowel in about nine years and he is not busy, I had a look on the web and got some quotes regarding fitting RSJs and looked up the building regulations regarding attic conversions for fire rates, fire doors, and so on, I also spoke an engineer who said he would come and look at the works twice during the work once at the start and tell me what needs to be done to comply with building regulations to get it certified and once at the end for a cost of 575 + VAT and issue a cert so I am going to give it a go myself.
    I will let you know how it go's.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Thanks for you reply kceire,

I was asking my brother in law who is a carpenter did he know of a builder to do the job for me and he said we should give it a go our selves, I am a plasterer by trade myself but haven't lifted a trowel in about nine years and he is not busy, I had a look on the web and got some quotes regarding fitting RSJs and looked up the building regulations regarding attic conversions for fire rates, fire doors, and so on, I also spoke an engineer who said he would come and look at the works twice during the work once at the start and tell me what needs to be done to comply with building regulations to get it certified and once at the end for a cost of 575 + VAT and issue a cert so I am going to give it a go myself.
    I will let you know how it go's.

Best of luck Rodney.
    Please keep us informed of what the guy tells you that has to be done to meet the regulations.

Also bear in mind you have the Construction Product Regulations too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,198 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Back in 2006, i got a quote for a attic conversion, large attic ,for 2 rooms ,2 velux windows, and supplied and fit stairs.
    he came round and took all measurements, then a week later got the quote in post, €57,000, i think he was so busy back then he just didn't need the work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭Galego

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Back in 2006, i got a quote for a attic conversion, large attic ,for 2 rooms ,2 velux windows, and supplied and fit stairs.
    he came round and took all measurements, then a week later got the quote in post, €57,000, i think he was so busy back then he just didn't need the work.

57k?? Old good days!! :-) :-)

Advertisement