Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 Phoenix Park Concerts 2012

• 21-12-2011 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,553 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

According to a national newspaper today Mcd plan to hold 6 concerts at phoenix park for the summer of 2012.

Who do u say these acts will be ???

My Guess

Stone Roses (Already Confirmed)
    Metallica
    Lady Gaga
    Foo Fighters
    Coldplay
    Either The Killers/Paul Mcarthny or Someone else

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Stone Roses
    Lady Gaga
    Rihanna
    Radiohead
    Florence And The Machine
    Coldplay

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Stone Roses
    Rihanna
    Coldplay
    Lady Gaga
    The Killers
    Snow Patrol(I know it might be too big but they can scale down capacity)

If Slane doesnt happen Foo Fighters instead of SP

• Registered Users Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I don't really give a rats who plays there so long as they allocate one of the days to a Rock/Metal band (s)

Actually hopefully that could mean we get these guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

scudzilla wrote: »
    I don't really give a rats who plays there so long as they allocate one of the days to a Rock/Metal band (s)

They would sort of have to.

I doubt any other pop stars could sell 80,000 even with their massive mainstream base.

Reckon Lady GaGa will be one anyway as she still has to tour this album and it seems more likely than her doing another 5 concerts at the O2.

Not so sure if Rihanna could sell that many on her own but apart from that I don't think any other days will be allocated to pop acts as headliners.

There is 6 days, you can be pretty sure most of them will be given to rock bands.

I'd say The Killers are a good bet, maybe them with Snow Patrol sub-headlining that would be pretty good value for €63 a day ticket.

I just hope we will hear announcements soon and hopefully this won't turn into 30 pages of speculation.

• Advertisement

Promoter MCD has confirmed the Oxegen festival will be taking a break next year, as Glastonbury is doing.

Separately, it has applied for a licence to stage up to six concerts in the Phoenix Park next July. Each concert will have a capacity for up to 45,500 people.

The Stone Roses have already been confirmed for a concert on Thursday, July 5th which is the day before Oxegen was due to start. To date it has coincided with its sister festival, T-in-the-Park in Scotland, which takes place on the weekend of July 6th to 8th.

MCD may host a conference the day after the Stone Roses play or during that weekend to coincide with T-in-the-Park. It would be followed by a number more through July. The Phoenix Park concerts will be similar to those held in Marley Park where the stage is set up and various acts play over a number of weeks. Each show will be a standalone event.

Suspicions that Oxegen would not be going ahead next year were amplified when no pre-Christmas announcement was made about early bird tickets despite those for T-in-the-Park being announced.

Oxegen has been running from 2004 and is the biggest music event in Ireland attracting major contemporary music acts. Last year’s line-up included Beyonce, Coldplay and the Black Eyed Peas.

Prior to Oxegen the event was known as Witnness. It took place at Punchestown Racecourse and, at its peak, sold out its capacity of 80,000 tickets.

However, the recession has taken its toll on those in 18 and 25 age cohort for whom the festival has been a right of passage.

Some 58,000 people attended on Friday of last year’s festival with 70,000 attending the Saturday and Sunday. These numbers were significantly down on previous years.

The announcement has become something of the worst kept secret in Irish music. It now remains to be seen if a succession of concerts in the Phoenix Park on the lines of the festivals in Victoria Park in London will be hosted in Dublin next summer. Among the acts touring next year that could play the Phoenix Park are Coldplay, Lady GaGa, Black Sabbath, The Who and The Beachboys.

So with a capacity of 45,000 then it might make it easier to sell out instead of going for 60,000 or 80,000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭iangobl

I heard Foo fighters said at oxegen last year they would be back in ireland in summer 2012. Hopefully they play one of these. Ill be first in line if they are anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RayCon

My money's on Black Sabbath

• Registered Users Posts: 21,013 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Really hope no act gets two night. Great chance to attract more better lineups for varying bands. I can still see lady gaga getting two of the nights tho which is stupid.

RayCon wrote: »
    My money's on Black Sabbath

Good shout, Never thought of them but you may be onto something here.

With a good support line up they'll easily sell it out, and Sabbath always have a great support for the big outdoor gigs, and normally newer and younger heavier bands too.

Even though i can't stand what Sabbath has become now i'll probably go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭O'Doodle

Two Door Cinema Club
    Snow Patrol
    Foster and the People
    The Killers
    Snow Patrol
    Muse
    Foo Fighters

that leaves U2 to play Slane

O'Doodle wrote: »
    Two Door Cinema Club
    Snow Patrol
    Foster and the People
    The Killers
    Snow Patrol
    Muse
    Foo Fighters

that leaves U2 to play Slane

Two Door Cinema Club & Foster and the People headlining a 45,000 Phoenix Park gig.

BARMAN, I'll have a pint of what this guy's drinking please ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭O'Doodle

Course not head-ling, just as long as these bands are playing along with the bigger acts I'll be happy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Metallica In June, kick off the gigs by tearing the place down

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Bloc Party!

Bloc party could be another possibility with them set to release a new album in the new year..they sold out phoenix park in 2007!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,013 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Bloc party could be another possibility with them set to release a new album in the new year..they sold out phoenix park in 2007!

A tent in Phoinex Park is a bit different to an open air gig there. Would be good to see them return though.

My guess for the Phoenix Park concerts is;

The Killers
    The Stone Roses
    Muse
    Rihanna
    Lady GaGa
    Green Day

For support acts I would say;

Snow Patrol supporting Killers
    Beady Eye and maybe The Kooks opening for Stone Roses
    The Prodigy warming up for Muse
    Katy Perry (if she does tour next year) opening for Rihanna
    Foster The People and Fools Gold opening for Lady GaGa
    Blink 182 and Jimmy Eat World opening for Green Day

EDIT : I don't think Foo Fighters will make an appearance, they wouldn't headline one night of an 80,000 capacity festival promising a big gig in Ireland and then return next year to play to a 45,000 outdoor venue. They will play Slane me thinks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

karaokeman wrote: »

LOL.

Katy Perry is more popular than Rihanna in Ireland (has sold out the O2 more times.)

Blink 182 are more popular than Green Day over here too..

Grindylow wrote: »
    Blink 182 are more popular than Green Day over here too..

Blink can't sell out the O2 anymore and Green Day played to a 23,000 crowd at Marlay Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 oconnell122

seeing the killers live would make my life!:)
    how likely are they to come do?:confused:

• Advertisement

seeing the killers live would make my life!:)
    how likely are they to come do?:confused:

Very likely, they have a new album out in May and will more than likely be playing many festivals to promote it. I look forward to The Killers too if they are announced, apparently they are getting better with each tour.
    Grindylow wrote: »
    Katy Perry is more popular than Rihanna in Ireland (has sold out the O2 more times.)

Rihanna sold out the O2 four times and Katy Perry sold out three.

Also Rihanna has sold 80 million records worldwide and Katy Perry has sold 30 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

Blink can't sell out the O2 anymore and Green Day played to a 23,000 crowd at Marlay Park.

Exactly. Blink released tickets for both the O2 + The Odyssey for next June...still not sold out. Green Day had no problems selling both out when they were doing both.

Blink sold out the O2 first time around in 2010 . As said cant see Blink supporting people anymore

Also Katy Perry wouldnt support Rihanna she would either do her own show or none at all. Plus isnt she taking next year off?

Green Day doubtful since they didnt sell out Marley Park which is a smaller capacity then Pheonix Park

Muse could be a good shot.

What about Swedish House Mafia? Doing a big gig over in Milton Keynes during the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭LarryMac

My guess for the Phoenix Park concerts is;

The Killers
    The Stone Roses
    Muse
    Rihanna
    Lady GaGa
    Green Day

For support acts I would say;

Snow Patrol supporting Killers
    Beady Eye and maybe The Kooks opening for Stone Roses
    The Prodigy warming up for Muse
    Foster The People and Fools Gold opening for Lady GaGa

EDIT : I don't think Foo Fighters will make an appearance, they wouldn't headline one night of an 80,000 capacity festival promising a big gig in Ireland and then return next year to play to a 45,000 outdoor venue. They will play Slane me thinks

What makes you think The Kooks for Stone Roses Support?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

If thread is any indication of gigs, there'll be alot of music fans very sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭bren2001

Very likely, they have a new album out in May and will more than likely be playing many festivals to promote it. I look forward to The Killers too if they are announced, apparently they are getting better with each tour.

I believe they hope for it to be released in summer 2012. Last time they said that it was released in August.... I'm not holding my breath for Battle Born to be on shelves in May.

Very likely to play mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭keeponrockin

Really hope Pearl Jam finally play a gig in Dublin where everyone has a good chance of getting tickets so Phoenix Park would be great..

..also hoping for Foos, Metallica and Coldplay..

99% sure i heard couple months back that Lady Gaga is playin Croke Park in the summer..just not officially annouced yet:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭bren2001

99% sure i heard couple months back that Lady Gaga is playin Croke Park in the summer..just not officially annouced yet:confused:

GAA president (Christy Cooney) said that there would only be 3 gigs in Croke Park per year. They have been filled by rhcp and Westlife.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

If she sold out Croke Park its confirmation humanity is fcuked.
    Westlife, Take That and the Script selling out stadiums are the 1st 3 horsemen of the apocalypse. Only 1 left :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭keeponrockin

bren2001 wrote: »
    GAA president (Christy Cooney) said that there would only be 3 gigs in Croke Park per year. They have been filled by rhcp and Westlife.
    Heard that aswell..so unless they change the rules for next year??.. It was on a morning radio show some guest said it.. but could have been that gob****e that said U2 were playin 2 nights in the Aviva last year:rolleyes:
    If she sold out Croke Park its confirmation humanity is fcuked.
    Westlife, Take That and the Script selling out stadiums are the 1st 3 horsemen of the apocalypse. Only 1 left :(
    LMAO:pac:

Advertisement