Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kingfisher gym breaffy

• 07-06-2011 10:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭

I've noticed in the last few days that any signs referencing the kingfisher club in the gym in breaffy have been removed, has it gone into recievership?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

C-J wrote: »
    I've noticed in the last few days that any signs referencing the kingfisher club in the gym in breaffy have been removed, has it gone into recievership?

Wow! hope not, my bro and sis in law both took out membership there in the last 2 months!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭C-J

I'm a member there since february 09 and go most days for an hour, obviously above the front door is still the kingfisher logo but when i went in this evening a few things struck me. Usually you just swipe your card but there was a sign up beside the turnstiles saying that members now have to sign in as well as swiping card, all posters etc that were usually in reception notice board were gone as were things that used to be on the doors. Upstairs in the gym itself, the poster with the classes listed on it was changed to one saying 'breaffy house gym', and even the little signs on the machines asking you to wipe them down had no reference to kingfisher. To make things worse, the aerobics studio seemed to be being used by staff for some sort of meeting. Eek! Be interestin to know whats going on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭irishgeo

http://www.kingfisherclub.com

breaffy is still all over the website, although breaffy hotel is in liquidation , i wonder did they pay kingfisher to run the gym. perhaps they cant afford do that now.

Ya that's what I was thinking. I was in this evening so looked a bit closer, staff tshirts have changed and as you go towards the stairs for the gym all the signs referencing kingfisher are gone off the walls, literally just wall brackets left

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭MonTheBiffy

Its a cash-cow. The hotel want all the takings for the gym because they need it badly, they don't want to be giving takings to Kingfisher anymore hence the name drop

• Advertisement

If that's the case i would assume all members annual contracts with kingfisher are null and void? Signed mine in february and would be interesting to see if i could negotiate a new cheaper deal!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭irishgeo

C-J wrote: »
    If that's the case i would assume all members annual contracts with kingfisher are null and void? Signed mine in february and would be interesting to see if i could negotiate a new cheaper deal!

thats an interesting one, are you entitled to your money back as you signed the contract with kingfisher not breaffy. i be getting on the consumer crowd about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 star1234

the hotel took the leisure centre back.that must be why all the changes are goin on.have the staff changed or is it same group of people because the male staff attitudes towards swimmers was desperate.he is like a drill sargent towards the kiddies and it us paying membership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭francie82

Kingfisher are no longer tenants.....its ran by breaffy house...no issues with membership. Membership is now actually way cheaper....around 350 for 12 months. Iv been goin most days for the last 9 months. its the same staff that are employed and iv always found them to be helpfull. Its the best gym around....cannot fault the place and im a daily swimmer and saw no drill sgts.....

I do notice that more energy is being pumped into chatting the customers...overall its 100%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 star1234

Wasnt ment in a bad way ,I love the place its very clean and the gym instructors are very qualified.I was mearly stating what i seen .I also find the staff very friendly and very accomodating.I may have been harsh in my judgement but im a straight foward person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Flashpoint

Ya kingfisher are gone, its breaffy house hotel running it now. Everything is the same staff etc, opening times changed a little and membership is cheaper too. I always found the staff ok, very friendly people. I see there even is a facebook page for the gym and spa now, I came across it by mistake. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Breaffy-House-Leisure-Centre-Spa/138378399573545#!/

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭piobhan

in my opinion the gym needs a few things fixed/improved.
    I complained recently about the following
    1. some male showers not working
    2. the tvs in the gym are a disaster,half with no buttons and about 2 remotes for twenty tvs! should just 3/4 large flat screens
    3. no bike rack
    4. MUSIC in the gym, who wants to listen to planet rock, music should be motivational and fast paced not english traffic reports

Will be interesting to see what changes

I was told the showers are going to be fixed, there has been people in fixing stuff already. Didn't hear anything about the tv's being changed or fixed etc, a bike rack is on the way I heard. The music thing is hard fix tho i.e. its hard please everyone at the same time, I find planet rock fine. When i start working out I don't care what music is on, sometimes I bring my ipod with me if I want my own music.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Flashpoint wrote: »
    I was told the showers are going to be fixed, there has been people in fixing stuff already. Didn't hear anything about the tv's being changed or fixed etc, a bike rack is on the way I heard. The music thing is hard fix tho i.e. its hard please everyone at the same time, I find planet rock fine. When i start working out I don't care what music is on, sometimes I bring my ipod with me if I want my own music.

Whats your relation to the Gym? Your posts are curious as they are all "love ins" with Breaffy gyms and providing news on classes and prices.

yop wrote: »
    Whats your relation to the Gym? Your posts are curious as they are all "love ins" with Breaffy gyms and providing news on classes and prices.

Just a member out there. A lot of people are turn there backs on the place just cause of the name has changed. I'm just getting the point across that its not dead in the water

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭piobhan

I'm also a member out there, it in need of some TLC
    - the car park is a right mess
    - mens showers still not fixed
    - no bike rack
    - stil listening to planet rock and stupid english traffic reports
    - tvs are still a disaster

If ALL these issues arent sorted wont be renewing my membership which is up soon :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

A little off topic but is this gym still the best around or are there any better Gyms close enough to Castlebar ? Also is it only a yearly membership ?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭dozydelilah

well i brought my kid to mulroys gym last week for swimming lessons. i was there for two hours everyday, and i was really impressed with it. the staff actually know most of the members by name, check in to see how their getting on. i saw one staff girl going through stretches and stuff with a customer, and she seemed so interested???? i have been a member of kingfisher/breaffy house gym twice, and to this day they still had no idea who i was, and there was never a member of staff in the gym to ask anything of????

• Registered Users Posts: 4 JDnCoke

I've been a member in Mulroys/Castle Leisure Centre for the past 6 years and find it great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 8_Ball

piobhan wrote: »
    I'm also a member out there, it in need of some TLC
    - the car park is a right mess
    - mens showers still not fixed
    - no bike rack
    - stil listening to planet rock and stupid english traffic reports
    - tvs are still a disaster

If ALL these issues arent sorted wont be renewing my membership which is up soon :rolleyes:

very interesting to note that others have complained about showers not working. we joined on a family membership in January to use primarily the pool. From day one there were ever only two or three showers working, the disabled one never worked or was always stone cold, this being the shower that the kids could use as they could reach the push knob themselves. Often there were only two working showers and once there were 14 people queuing to use them. I complained every week and was told on each occasion it was being dealt with.
    The final straw for me, was the day I was showering the kids and put on one shower set the thermostat and just stopped my six year old from walking into it....it was SCALDING red hot, not just hot but boiling hot. The thermostat had broken as they usually were but this time at boiling point. I was absolutely livid at the near horrific accident that had been narrowly avoided and insisted I wanted a full reinbursement of my money as I was sick of queuing or taking cold showers and then my child was almost scalded.
    Interestingly Kingfisher blamed the Hotel, I went to the Hotel and they 100% insisted Kingfisher had full responsibillity of maintenace issues, while every week Kingfisher blamed the Hotel for not responding to their pleas.
    The changing rooms, particularly the family one often stunk of used nappies from the bins that were not emptied, when I mentioned this one time I was told they were understaffed by two members who spent the next half hour I was there drinking coffee, the bins went unsanitised.
    For me when you pay such an amount as the Kingfisher charged for membership the very least I expect is to be able to take a warm shower for myself and my kids and not join a queue of 14, other niggles were the pool often being not at the required temperatures, fine for addults but not so for little ones in swimming lessons that are often inactive.
    But the one that left me reeling was my last complaint about the disabled shower being the one small kids were able to operate themselves i(f not required by a disabled person of course) and how they could justify not having it in proper working order for the past three months. The managers shocking reply was "Well we don't really cater for the disabled here"
    Funniest moment was when she promised then to supply sticks so stop the adults getting saturated when they had to lean into the showers to keep the timed showers operating.
    Not all gripes though the staff are good, the swimming instructors excellent, cant comment on the gym as I didnt use it.
    Would never dream of joining that place again, and would adise anyone wanting to buy a family membership to not bother, the place is just dreadfull in many basic respects....but could be excellent. A real shame.
    I did get my money back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 acbar

I was a member and before but didnt renew since i had the kids. im meaning to go back now just to get fit for the winter and gave them a ring about membership. they are doing great deals... 3 month €150 or 12 visits for €85. i think its great as they used to be very strict to annual memberships when they were under kingfisher. Id always get a years membership and use it for 3/4 months! I will deffo go back there as i think its a great gym and i would hate to see it going under! the staff are very nice. im not affilliated with it, but do live locally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Joined the Castle earlier this week for 130e for 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 acbar

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    Joined the Castle earlier this week for 130e for 3 months.

thats a great deal.. seems everywhere will be taking the prices down now the way things have gone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 twister1975

Has anyone payind monthly Direct debit to Kingfisher NOT had their payments deducted? I have had nothing taken out of my account since June for my memnership-due for renewal in October so dont know what to do!

Has anyone payind monthly Direct debit to Kingfisher NOT had their payments deducted? I have had nothing taken out of my account since June for my memnership-due for renewal in October so dont know what to do!

hi twister, i pay by dd, i remember back in june i think when it was switched from kingfisher to breaffy gym i got a text saying that my june payment couldn't be processed due to the switch in systems (or something along those lines) and could i pay the amount in cash. However when i checked my statement i noticed the amount actually had come out of my a/c so i explained this to the staff. It's been comin out since. Also got letter last month from the receiver, cant remember exactly what it said but shall root it out tomo and post it here! I'd say ring on monday and sort it out, weekend staff dont normally deal with those type of enquiries i find!

Advertisement