Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Positional advice in Hurling.

• 01-03-2012 6:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭

Howya lads. I just have a question aimed at mainly hurling people as this is the sport In question. My main position in Hurling is wing forward. But because of change in tactics and other peoples positions, I may have to move to corner forward. I have played here before at younger ages and haven't had much of a problem with it, but my father doesn't think it would suit me, he described it as being "too restricted and don't get enough of the ball". Would yous agree? My argument is that many players such as Ben O'connor, eoin Kelly, lar Corbett, etc. All play in the corner and get plenty of ball, but is this because it is a strategy or just out of luck or what do they do to get so much of the ball there? Anyway, would I be too restricted in the corner? I am used to having a lot ofthe ball and I would be afraid I would be out of the games in the corner. Is this true? I am a juvenile hurler and will be coming up to minor soon so is important for my development. Would I not get as much of the ball in that position? Thanks in advance, any help would be hugely appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭tipperaryman

Corner forwards can expect to get the ball about 5/6 times a game in scoreable positions I reckon. You have to use them balls well. 2 points or more is desirable....

Overall use of the ball is important, turnovers via balls into goalies hand, getting hooked/blocked and stupid passes are not to be desired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭DublinGAA96

Corner forwards can expect to get the ball about 5/6 times a game in scoreable positions I reckon. You have to use them balls well. 2 points or more is desirable....

Overall use of the ball is important, turnovers via balls into goalies hand, getting hooked/blocked and stupid passes are not to be desired.

Yeah I agree totally. In otherwards you're saying that I would have to be clinical and decisive. I am used to scoring from tight angles and I'd be at the ball alley very often so my touch would be good. But is the corner restricted? I mean it doesn't have as much freedom as in the half forward line does it? But I suppose if you're playing well there then you wouldn't be as hiding or as out of the game as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭mariano rivera

Just play it as YOU see it

Move out of position if YOU think its right

Don't listen too much to mentors & managers. Better players will figure out the game themselves.

Go with your instincts. Don't be afraid of making mistakes

Try different runs into space. If they don't work, try something else

Be honest with your effort, work hard and try your best

Enjoy the game

Tactics, getting up for the game (especially underage hurling) is complete Garbage

Good Luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Iansheridan

Don't listen too much to mentors & managers. Better players will figure out the game themselves.

Enjoy the game

Tactics, getting up for the game (especially underage hurling) is complete Garbage

Good Luck

Nail on head tbf.

have a word with the corner/wing backs on the opposite side to you (ie. youre left corner forward speak to the right corner back and advise the following.)

if they move the sliotar the pitch on the opposite side try making a run or 2 out the 50 and look for the crossfield ball. its very rarely used in junior hurling and your man shouldnt be used to it. once collected you have all the time in the world in a position youre used to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭DublinGAA96

Enjoy the game

Good Luck

Nail on head tbf.

have a word with the corner/wing backs on the opposite side to you (ie. youre left corner forward speak to the right corner back and advise the following.)

if they move the sliotar the pitch on the opposite side try making a run or 2 out the 50 and look for the crossfield ball. its very rarely used in junior hurling and your man shouldnt be used to it. once collected you have all the time in the world in a position youre used to.

Yeah I understand. Yeah you did seem to hit the nail on the head. I think I will adjust fine because I work very hard ar hurling and put in a very honest effort. Yeah I will also have a word to with my opposite wing backs and corner back. I have a challenge match on Sunday so will mention it to them then.

• Advertisement
Advertisement