Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VM Passat to Volvo S40

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Had one for around 2 years. Well finished and very well equipped car but it is alot smaller than a Passat and the 1.6d while frugal is not the most lively. If you do any sort of motorway driving then the 2.0d will be alot better.

Electrics can be iffy on them and the most common failure is the ABS/traction control model. The other issue with the 1.6d is that the DPF can give grief if the car has been used around town. I had to replace mine at 80k miles. Also Volvo dealers are expensive and while the S40 shares alot with the Ford Focus there are some parts not common to both which can be expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

bazz26 wrote: »
    Had one for around 2 years. Well finished and very well equipped car but it is alot smaller than a Passat and the 1.6d while frugal is not the most lively. If you do any sort of motorway driving then the 2.0d will be alot better.

Electrics can be iffy on them and the most common failure is the ABS/traction control model. The other issue with the 1.6d is that the DPF can give grief if the car has been used around town. I had to replace mine at 80k miles. Also Volvo dealers are expensive and while the S40 shares alot with the Ford Focus there are some parts not common to both which can be expensive.

Definitely something to take on board. Just looking to change my passat for a newer model car. Want to move to a 2008 car and thought the Volvo looked very well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

S60 is better IMHO. I had one for two years and LOVED it. Very comfy, lots of bells and whistles. Good car!

The MkI S60 is a really old design now and ended production around 2006. The current S80 would be more similar in size to the Passat. You can pick up a 2008 model of those within your budget.

Alot of car for the money:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=913275143024050

or this high spec D5:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201207206951253

If I could figure out how much my own was worth Id have a better idea of budget. Carzone seems to have extremes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

The MkI S60 is a really old design now and ended production around 2006. The current S80 would be more similar in size to the Passat. You can pick up a 2008 model of those within your budget.

Alot of car for the money:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=913275143024050

or this high spec D5:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201207206951253

Thats a seriously cheap car Bazz. The first one is gone but the se lux is the top spec..

Anyone in the business have a rough ball park on what the following is worth
    07 vw passat comfort line
    150000 km
    Nct January 2014

What engine is it?

What engine is it?

Hi Bazz, sorry its a 1.9 tdi

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

How does a 2007 have an NCT till 2014?

• Advertisement

Jimdagym wrote: »
    How does a 2007 have an NCT till 2014?

Sorry, that was my wifes car thats till 2014.
    Passat NCT is until April 2013.

I'd say it would sell for around €8k privately, maybe a little more.

Crap, was hoping for more than that! Looks like I'll be holding onto the passat

There are a few on carzone with similar mileage for sale from garages asking just under €9k and they come with a warranty. Not what you want to hear but that is a ball park figure for a 5 year old Passat diesel.

That Volvo being from a main dealer ain't cheap either. Did you get a cost to change price from them? That is more important than the trade-in allowance figure they give you for your car.

Not yet bazz. Was kind of looking to see what my own would be worth first. I'll call in at the weekend and see what they say

• Registered Users Posts: 8 dave1969

As someone who was recently stung for over 2K on my 2008 Passat I would strongly advise you to stay well clear. My biggest issue was the way I was treated by maindealer and VW Customer Care. They don't give a **** once you have bought and go out the showroom door. I will never ever buy a VW again as long as I live.

dave1969 wrote: »
    As someone who was recently stung for over 2K on my 2008 Passat I would strongly advise you to stay well clear. My biggest issue was the way I was treated by maindealer and VW Customer Care. They don't give a **** once you have bought and go out the showroom door. I will never ever buy a VW again as long as I live.

He is selling one though, not buying.

Exactly and I have to say ivenever had a days bother with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

Don't get the 1.6D. Get either the 2.0D or the D5.
    Purely for the reliability, power and 6 speed box.

What price shoulda be looking at paying for a 2008 model?

• Advertisement

When you have a trade-in the price will vary depending on how much the dealer thinks he can sell your old car on for while making a profit.

Cheers folks. On a 09 Volvo S40 2 litre diesel for 16,500, I was offered 8,500 for my own. That was without seeing it, and over the phone.

Definitely out of my league price wise. Would love to go up a year or 2 if possible but dont want to get another car loan around my neck.

There is always going to be a large gap in trading up from a 07 on the old tax system to a 08 on the newer tax system. People want the car with lower tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

Ask yourself if the road tax is really worth it? It's less than €28 extra per month, and you'll save on the car too.

Sobanek wrote: »
    Ask yourself if the road tax is really worth it? It's less than €28 extra per month, and you'll save on the car too.

True but is it worth adding another 8k loan onto myself

Advertisement