Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCU MMA CLUB

• 19-01-2009 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭OMCCABE

Hey all

Just spreading the word on what we've got going on down here in DCU.
    We have settled and are now opening our doors to even more students regardless of college, affiliation, experience level..hell we've even got some lads from the surrounding schools.:D So if your curious about this MMA stuff or want to get in some extra training or fitness work then come on down and give us a try. There will be a week of training devoted to revision of last semester training topics taking place in Feb so keep an eye out on the webpage listed below to find out the details.

History
    DCU MMA CLUB (officially known as the Kickboxing & Grappling Club) was started in september of 2008 and is just about to enter its 2nd semester in a few weeks time. The club was started as a way of introducing people to MMA as a sport and as a means of fitness and self defence. The committees goal is to help increase the popularity of MMA in Ireland and provide students with the relevant basic skills to enter into full time training facilities with the basic knowledge required to progress rapidly in both stand up, clinch and ground grappling. Thus far the club has proven to be a great success with over a 100 registered members and active classes averaging between 25-35.

Experience level
    In DCU MMA we have experience levels ranging from World Champion kickboxers and Grappling champions to complete beginners and juniors from the surrounding schools. The classes contain NSC competitors and thai boxers working together and trading knowledge and several coaches who are willing to take you aside and bring you through any technique you may be having trouble with/or missed, in a step by step nature.

What to expect in the coming months?
    Each Hour and a half long class contains an equal mix of stand up and ground work with fitness elements coming from pad work, grappling drills, rolling,sparring and circuit training. We mix up every session and you'll learn something new each class. The coming semester will feature the introduction of kicking and wrestling takedowns and take down defences as well as continuing work on submissions and boxing.

Here is a video of some of the class hitting mitts in the 4th week
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=4L3qA2N6AO8

Here is an example of the class drilling Mount escapes
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=kjomeZgam-c&feature=related

Price?
    €4 registration
    Its only 3 euro per class or 5 euro for the whole week.

Check us out further for details such as training times etc at

www.bebo.com/DCUMMA

All the best

Oisin
    DCU MMA COMMITTEE
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭wayne1

BEST OF LUCK WIT THE CLUB LADS:)

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭OMCCABE

wayne1 wrote: »
    BEST OF LUCK WIT THE CLUB LADS:)

Thanks a lot wayne...best of looks with the europeans if thats still a go. ;)

Oisin

Ok guys and girls.

Firstly for those thinking of joining us that have never trained with us before....come try us out for the first 2 weeks (2/3rd and 9/10th Feb). . If you have wondered is Mixed martial arts is for you?....well theres only one way to find out.

Just got the go ahead from DCU sports centre. Training recommences this monday the 2nd of Feb at 5.30pm in the big handball alley. The first class will be mostly rolling/pad work and we will be taking all questions on any techniques, combinations or anything else so if you've seen a technique during the break that you'd like to learn or have specific questions on any of the techniques we've covered already, let us know and we'll help you out.

The following week on monday and tuesdays class we will be running a revision course on all the techniques we have covered up to this point both in stand up fighting, clinch work and grappling.

Don't miss this.

We will be reteaching all the basics in these 2 classes so bring a pen and paper (not kidding) and write the techniques down. You will be amazed at how much you've actually learned so far and by looking over this piece of paper you'll freshen things in your mind and be more likely to remember them during sparring and rolling. Its a very useful tool.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask by either posting here on the thread or shooting me a PM.

All the bestwink.gif

Oisin
    www.bebo.com/DCUMMA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 MMAfanboy

OMCCABE wrote: »
    Ok guys and girls.

Firstly for those thinking of joining us that have never trained with us before....come try us out for the first 2 weeks (2/3rd and 9/10th Feb). . If you have wondered is Mixed martial arts is for you?....well theres only one way to find out.

Just got the go ahead from DCU sports centre. Training recommences this monday the 2nd of Feb at 5.30pm in the big handball alley. The first class will be mostly rolling/pad work and we will be taking all questions on any techniques, combinations or anything else so if you've seen a technique during the break that you'd like to learn or have specific questions on any of the techniques we've covered already, let us know and we'll help you out.

The following week on monday and tuesdays class we will be running a revision course on all the techniques we have covered up to this point both in stand up fighting, clinch work and grappling.

Don't miss this.

We will be reteaching all the basics in these 2 classes so bring a pen and paper (not kidding) and write the techniques down. You will be amazed at how much you've actually learned so far and by looking over this piece of paper you'll freshen things in your mind and be more likely to remember them during sparring and rolling. Its a very useful tool.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask by either posting here on the thread or shooting me a PM.

All the bestwink.gif

Oisin
    www.bebo.com/DCUMMA

Im very interested in joining the club!. I study at National College Of Ireland and is that ok?. Registration and fees are the same is it? 5 euro per week?. If it is im definitely coming!

Yep its open equally to all mate..no discrimination here...well actually thats not entirely true. We discriminate against everybody equally. :D

Yeah the price is the same for all although you'll have to pay the 2 euro registration fee for the college regardless of if your a student or not.

Look forward to seeing you there.

Oisin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mickawhelan

hey im from santry and a friend of mine goes to your club and he has told about it, and id like to join you guys in a week or so, from everything ive heard bout the club is excatly what i want to do

ive done some other stuff but never stuck to it cause of the fact it never gave me a challange
    so hopefuly ill see you guys soon

mick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Kaylin Late Balloonist

Moved from SD&MA.

hey im from santry and a friend of mine goes to your club and he has told about it, and id like to join you guys in a week or so, from everything ive heard bout the club is excatly what i want to do

ive done some other stuff but never stuck to it cause of the fact it never gave me a challange
    so hopefuly ill see you guys soon

mick

I see you've posted on the bebo page too mick but I'll reply here too so others know whats up too.

The club is closed for the summer while the college is off but will be restarting again in september. Last year was a great success and the club now boast 5 all Ireland intervarsity champions and a host of other medallists. Hopefully with another year under the belt we can even increase this next year :). For the time being we are all training around the country to keep the eye in and several of us, including myself, are training down in Team Ryano in Baldoyle.

Hopefully we'll see you in september. Any other questions etc feel free to post them on the club page

www.bebo.com/DCUMMA

Oisin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭no scope

hi guys

ive been looking to join a mma club for a few weeks now

is there still room?

when does the club re-open?

ive had 10+ years in taekwondo

is there any lads there my age 18?

cheers

Jay

Hey Jay

Class starts back at he start of september. Theres certainly plenty of participants your age at each class. You welcome to come train with us when we kick off again. Until then why not sign up to the club page on bebo if your a member and you'll get updates there.

All the best

Oisin

www.bebo.com/DCUMMA

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭mdc5065

Oisin,

No idea how to use bebo so I figured I'd post here...

I'm an American just into Ireland to do postgrad at DCU. I've got a good amount of experience with MMA and jujitsu, but it's been a while. Any chance I can stop by on Monday and check out your club? Thanks,

Matt

Hey Matt,

Welcome to DCU first of all.:)
    I have been informed that the DCU clubs and socs day is taking place on the 6th and 7th of october so our first training day of the year is expected take place on monday october 12th.

I wll start a new thread here on boards to announce the coming years training times and events in the next week. I will also be putting news and updates in the blog section of the webpage below.

All the best,

Oisin
    www.bebo.com/DCUMMA

Advertisement