Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Left 4 Dead

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

How does the game deal with my biggest concern, that being that every second person online is a total dickhead?

Is there anything to stop someone from ruining the game by gunning the rest of the team down at a crucial moment? Does the game have any ability to blacklist people or something like that?

TEEEELLLL MEEEEEE!!!!!

Its small squads not Battlefield, get some friends!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Its small squads not Battlefield, get some friends!?

I don't :(

All my online friends moved to XBL and gave up on PCs bar one. I don't suppose Valve made it cross platform?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Ok, ended up buying another €20 3v voucher and trasnsferring it all to the original one (less the €2.50 redeeming charge), dl'in demo now :D This better be good................well I love the idea of zombie panic, hopefully this'll be more of the same, can't go wrong with valve games neways

now i kno why they call it STEAM :D

anyone had any luck with this?

I couldn't get a single game going online. Massive long searches then times out during map load

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

How does the game deal with my biggest concern, that being that every second person online is a total dickhead?

Is there anything to stop someone from ruining the game by gunning the rest of the team down at a crucial moment? Does the game have any ability to blacklist people or something like that?

TEEEELLLL MEEEEEE!!!!!

Allegedly the game tracks stuff such as damage you cause to teammates, how many team mates you TK etc.. Along with other stats such as how many times you heal people etc... Basic online rep system.

This is something I read ages back in a preview of the game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭BuddhaJoe

anyone had any luck with this?

I couldn't get a single game going online. Massive long searches then times out during map load

Running perfect here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭BuddhaJoe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

BuddhaJoe wrote: »
    Yarp

I see, seems I have a dose of rhetoricalitis tonite:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Did I miss it or is there no 'aim down sights'?

Really enjoying what I've played so far. Although I wish the boss monsters weren't so frequent. They seem to come in an endless stream, diminishing there fear effect. Shame we can't play as them yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

see this is how you defeat piracy, I'm actually buying this game now, probably the first PC game I've bought in years, because of the co-op feature.

Valve gives users what they already have with piracy

-fast download speeds
    -no invasive copy protection
    -no need to have a physical disc in the drive

but also gives users something that piracy can't
    -great online support
    -pre-release exclusive demos

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

You apoke too soon L31mr0d

The demo is a mess. Don't get me wrong the gameplay is superb. Its really good but the demo has serious issues.

Firstly the game is extremely crash prone. The looping sound bug is back. Stuttering problems after 15-30 minutes of play etc. Its not just me by my friends having these issues and we are on decent up to date PC's.

Then we have the browser which seems like its the Xbox 360 version matching making service which is a disaster at the moment. There is no standard server browser by default you have to bring it up by console.

First up. Try to play online with someone you know by having all your friends join into a lobby one of you creates and then the game tries to send you to a server together. Except you never get to the server together your all either be dispersed to different servers or won't be able to connect at all or some will connect to a server while others drop out. There is no setting for a lan server you have to wait for the game to be randomly unable to find a dedicated server before it gives you the option of running a lan game. So sometimes if you want to get a lan game going you will end up with an internet game. Friends only games does not work and random people can end up joining. People with dedicated servers have no way at the moment of joining there own server or securing for there own use. The long and the short is when you do get a game going with a friend it will then likely crash :(

Now granted this is a demo and the system I believe is the testing phase but I just hope to god that Valve bring back their normal server browser.

The singleplayer works fine and if you just want to play with random people it seem to work okay.

I just hope these issues are resolved before retail realease as the gameplay is great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

It's out on the 18th i believe.

I'd be very suprised if it's fixed by then, it sounds horrific at the moment.

4 attempts are getting a game going with a random group. No luck.

Ages to find a server and dropped connections. Felt 360ish

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Tyrant^

Glad I didnt pre order this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Great fun to play cant wait to get my hands on the full version

bizmark wrote: »
    Great fun to play cant wait to get my hands on the full version

Yeah seems to have improved on server quality over night. Was able to get into games no problem now. Still needs a server browser window.

Had some crayz fun in the last one where someone had locked me out of the safe room then hordes of zombies came flooding, and i mean flooding, into the area.

Serves me right for playing the token black guy character :pac:

Serves me right for playing the token black guy character :pac:

lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

downloaded it last night. right now im in work counting down the seconds till i can go home and play. 2hrs 14 minutes........AHHHHHHHH!!

anyone want to do a mini review to help me pass the time?

uglyjohn wrote: »
    downloaded it last night. right now im in work counting down the seconds till i can go home and play. 2hrs 14 minutes........AHHHHHHHH!!

anyone want to do a mini review to help me pass the time?

Eh you have 2 map's both of which arent very long the apartment and a subway, There's a limited number of guns in the demo pistols/uzi/shotgun/hunting rifle / m16 all of them are quite satisfieing though, The pistols have unlimited ammo and you can dual weild them should you find a second one hanging around there's also throwable weapons like pipebombs along with the weapons you get 2 slots for a 1 shot medpack (only 1 per member per map) or painkiller's which you can use on yourself or your team mate's.
    The enemys are your typical zombie fair they run at you in hord's trying to eat your braaaaaains but they go down quite easly which isnt a bad thing mowing down a load of them is really good fun ^_^ there's also a few boss type zombies that are harder or more dangours like the boomer which can spray you with vomit that will attract the hord of grunt zombies to you the smoker/hunter who disable you in some fashion requireing your team m8's to come save you or the witch who can pritty much 1 hit you....all in all its very enjoyable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Telgere

More demo servers are coming online.

See this could be a problem later if there is no incentive to buy/host your own servers. Hopefully valve will address this before the game launches.

I've found hosting the server locally works best for me. Played a few rounds there with some friends and had no issues.

It's actually very good, it had me laughing out loud at how hectic it gets

pro-tip: don't shoot the car :D

L31mr0d wrote: »

pro-tip: don't shoot the car :D

Best part imho that and getting vomited on by a boomer frantic fireing away blind into a huge hord ftw

bizmark wrote: »
    Best part imho that and getting vomited on by a boomer frantic fireing away blind into a huge hord ftw

yeah it is :D I've played through it a few times and every time I can't resist shooting the car, throwing in a pipe bomb and watching the whole hoard of zombies jump on it and explode...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Best game ever. I havent laughed and screamed so much in a long while. We were playing tonight and i set off the witch accidentaly (really i did) two of us go down and im speculating my friend saying **** witch is coming right next to you, he just stands there and the thing walks past him i was like you lucky git.

We were at the generator part and had a witch beside one of them so we came up with a plan to ignite her with Molotov's and gas can and she'd go down.Everyone is sh1tting a brick about triggering her so i say f*ck it ill do it, shoot she starts screaming, i try jump on the generators. Failed. The guys set her one fire. She then charges at me, sets me on fire, sets the ground on fire and then dies amongst screams and laughter on TS.

Just brilliant.

Stev_o wrote: »
    Best game ever. I havent laughed and screamed so much in a long while. We were playing tonight and i set off the witch accidentaly (really i did) two of us go down and im speculating my friend saying **** which is coming right next to you, he just stands there and the thing walks past him i was like you lucky git.

We were at the generator part and had a witch beside one of them so we came up with a plan to ignite her with Molotov's and gas can and she'd go down.Everyone is sh1tting a brick about triggering her so i say f*ck it ill do it, shoot she starts screaming, i try jump on the generators. Failed. The guys set her one fire. She then charges at me, sets me on fire, sets the ground on fire and then dies amongst screams and laughter on TS.

Just brilliant.

Yeah its awesome.

Hard to describe the feeling you get from the game. Its kinda like TF2. Simple but enjoyable and rewarding.

Deffo a winner this, Valve are on to another good thing. Great fun, although there aren't enough servers yet, quick match is a little buggy. I love the way the swarms come when u set off an alarm. Any of ye others tried expert mode yet? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Deffo a winner this, Valve are on to another good thing. Great fun, although there aren't enough servers yet. I love the way the swarms come when u set off an alarm. Any of ye others tried expert mode yet? :D

Yup only playing it on expert and bloody hell it doesnt let off at all took us 4 or 5 attempts to finish the subway level with only one survivor left.

I think Valve just got what it is that make games fun and really done a good job on it, iv never played a game with more tension then this in all my life.

Now all they gotta do is fix the occasional CTD and laggy servers.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Im hearing nothing but rave reviews about this game.
    A friend said he and some friends were just screaming and roaring at eachother on ts while playing the game.
    He described it as an exhilerating feeling while playing and said he never laughed and got so many frights from any other game.
    Sounds like digital cocaine to me.

Looks like ill be getting this too :)
    So many must have games right now.

• Advertisement

Dcully wrote: »
    So many must have games right now.

This is the only one i've paid for ;) and glad of it, its mega

Advertisement