Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are all Irish workers crap or just lazy?

• 18-02-2012 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭

I work for a multinational company who have one of their offices located in Dublin. Now I don't actually work in the Dublin office, but as I am Irish they handle all the administrative work like scanning expenses receipts or if there are any issues ordering equipment.

Here in lies the question, I work with a group of people from all over Europe and they all have to use their home office for the same stuff I do. So the UK people use the UK office, the German people use the German office, but every one of them has things done efficiently and quickly. Not me though, it takes about 2 weeks to do anything in the Irish office.

Ill give a few examples
    me: send in an expense report, it takes about 2-3 weeks to get it processed
    colleagues: 2-3 days

I ordered a new phone through the company website
    colleagues: 4 days delivered
    me: 1 month

I had a simple issue with my company card,
    it took 2 weeks to resolve it.

Now you may say well maybe you are not following up with emails and phone calls. One time I was trying to contact a girl in the Irish office and I rang and emailed every single day for a week and I am still waiting to hear back from her.

And when I was offered the job, I was working with an exterior HR person, but I had to send my contract into the Irish office. I sent it in by hand on a Friday, then got a call on Wed asking me why I had not sent in. I went back into the office to find out they lost the contact and I had to fill out a whole new contract, with multiple steps involved.

So I ask, what's the deal? Why are Irish workers so bad at their job. This isn't just my company either, I have a lot of associates who do a similar job to me who are Irish based and they have the exact same issues.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,469 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Yes. Exactly. We are all crap and lazy. This is not a generalisation at all.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Shur what's your rush anyway?

It'll get done when it gets done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Based on your half baked generalisations and assumptions, it sounds like you also must be more inefficient and lazier than your foreign counterparts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

kjl wrote: »
    One time I was trying to contact a girl in the Irish office and I rang and emailed every single day for a week and I am still waiting to hear back from her.

Take a hint buddy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I'm sick of these threads that tar everyone with the same brush & are based on stereotypes & anecdotal evidence.

Every Irish person is not lazy & not everyone is the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

associates

Check out the wannabe Yank

You've been working in that multinational too long

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

I'm deadly at my job. Deadly dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

I work for a multinational company who have one of their offices located in Dublin.

A multinational boss here once said he thought of Ireland as a third world country, with its inefficiency, corruption etc.

I suppose here in the republic we are not generally the best self-starters in ther world. Not very industrious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Irish people are mad for the generalizations.

Wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭TheBegotten

www.dilbert.com
    Knock yourself out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

I'm sick of these threads that tar everyone with the same brush & are based on stereotypes & anecdotal evidence.

Fair point, I do appreciate that I was exaggeration a lot, but can we at least discuss the possibly that we have a higher rate of bad workers

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Are the other people based in their home office, are the company based in Ireland. (for the low corporation tax) they maybe busier than the others, have you at any stage pissed off the Dublin office? When you submit your details are they as clear and concise as the others? Maybe there's one lazy girl, but to judge a nation is nuts. I put it down to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Just take a look at the public sector. Not the frontline staff but the backroom office middle management crowd. Inrfficient is their middle name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

Stupid question is stupid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Are all generalisations unfounded or just stupid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I work for a multinational company who have one of their offices located in Dublin. Now I don't actually work in the Dublin office, but as I am Irish they handle all the administrative work like scanning expenses receipts or if there are any issues ordering equipment.

Here in lies the question, I work with a group of people from all over Europe and they all have to use their home office for the same stuff I do. So the UK people use the UK office, the German people use the German office, but every one of them has things done efficiently and quickly. Not me though, it takes about 2 weeks to do anything in the Irish office.

Ill give a few examples
    me: send in an expense report, it takes about 2-3 weeks to get it processed
    colleagues: 2-3 days

I ordered a new phone through the company website
    colleagues: 4 days delivered
    me: 1 month

I had a simple issue with my company card,
    it took 2 weeks to resolve it.

Now you may say well maybe you are not following up with emails and phone calls. One time I was trying to contact a girl in the Irish office and I rang and emailed every single day for a week and I am still waiting to hear back from her.

And when I was offered the job, I was working with an exterior HR person, but I had to send my contract into the Irish office. I sent it in by hand on a Friday, then got a call on Wed asking me why I had not sent in. I went back into the office to find out they lost the contact and I had to fill out a whole new contract, with multiple steps involved.

So I ask, what's the deal? Why are Irish workers so bad at their job. This isn't just my company either, I have a lot of associates who do a similar job to me who are Irish based and they have the exact same issues.

Maybe you are just shit man? From what you say in the OP it seems that it's the things that you are specifically involved in that are a shambles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

To be fair, people are just following the approach shown by their "leaders" who have no problem over-generalising and blaming everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Fair point, I do appreciate that I was exaggeration a lot, but you at least discuss the possibly that we have a higher rate of bad workers
    I dunno, maybe ask all the highly regulated pharma companies we have operating here.
    RonMexico wrote: »
    Inrfficient is their middle name.
    Is that Scandanavian?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

People just have the "Ah sure it'll be grand" attitude and things take forever to get done in this country.
    You can't depend on a lot of people here. Every day in work I ring people ordering stuff or requesting info etc and if they say "I'll check up on it and call you in an hour" you can bet they'll either call 4 hours later or not at all.

I'm not saying everybody is like that, because of course there are people who are very good at their job and do things properly. But in my experience these people are few and far between,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Fair point, I do appreciate that I was exaggeration a lot, but can we at least discuss the possibly that we have a higher rate of bad workers

Not in my experience. I've never worked for a multi-national though. I'd imagine that the scope to doss is a lot higher than it is in smaller companies, but I'm sure they are also well aware of that & base their profit margins and projected output on a known percentage of productive hours that they get from their staff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭TheBegotten

RonMexico wrote: »
    Just take a look at the public sector. Not the frontline staff but the backroom office middle management crowd. Inrfficient is their middle name.

Abandon thread!!! Incoming public / private sector scrap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

gigino wrote: »
    I suppose here in the republic we are not generally the best self-starters in ther world. Not very industrious.
    Speak for yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

You seem to be a salesman OP

Cocky, arrogant and a high opinion of yourself
    Yep, well suited to sales

gigino wrote: »
    A multinational boss here once said he thought of Ireland as a third world country, with its inefficiency, corruption etc.

When did norn iron become a Republic?

Off with ya.

strobe wrote: »
    Maybe you are just shit man? From what you say in the OP it seems that it's the things that you are specifically involved in that are a shambles.

My job is not to scan receipts, the Irish policy is that in order to claim your expenses you must have send in your receipts to the scanning department. I sent them just as specified by the policy.

Now when I am waiting for expenses, that's money out of my pocket and all my other colleagues are get theirs processed in less then a week and mine are taking 2-3 weeks, despite 100's of calls and emails.

I once sent in three packages to them and they lost all three, like how do you loose three packages? If I hadn't had a copy of the receipts I wouldn't have been paid. I do my job very well and I always look after the administration side, but I have to do so much more work because the Irish office is so slow.

The above is just one instance of many that have constantly showed me that Irish people are very unreliable and not very good at their jobs.

And to answer another question asked of me, no, I have not done anything to upset the office, I've only been their once in my career.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,734 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I've worked for a few multi-nationals & other large companies at home & abroad over the years, & can say that Irish businesses are neither more nor less efficient that any of their foreign counterparts.

Sounds like your company has a sh1t Irish office. Simples.

Irish people are very unreliable and not very good at their jobs.
    You do realise you're a racist, right?

mikemac1 wrote: »
    You seem to be a salesman OP

Cocky, arrogant and a high opinion of yourself
    Yep, well suited to sales

not even close :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Red21

This is the edited version of your 2nd post which still remains F@cked up and in it you're pretty much saying how you fu@ked up your 1st post, maybe you're the problem op.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

This coming from a poster that told us he stopped washing his hair because he got fed up of running out of shampoo? I think the problem may be with you, and the people you associate with.

Advertisement