Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day - Part II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,135 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

2qk4u wrote: »
    I recently bought a 99 1.3 corolla with 120000 miles, I put a new clutch into it and gave it a service, I have done over 1000 miles in it since and the oil is a clean as the day I poured it in and last week I got 200 miles out of €30 of petrol, dont know how many mpg's that is ? Its comfortable and reliable and boring but what do you want for €900 with 3 months tax and four months nct ?
    Proper bangernomics ?
    I've a 1999 1.3 as well and it's just shy of 200k. Needs the timing belt done sooner rather than later but since I only shelled out 500 for her (a year, 24,000 miles and a work-free NCT pass ago) I think I'll be spending the few quid. Cheapest motoring I've ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Sleepy wrote: »
    I've a 1999 1.3 as well and it's just shy of 200k. Needs the timing belt done sooner rather than later but since I only shelled out 500 for her (a year, 24,000 miles and a work-free NCT pass ago) I think I'll be spending the few quid. Cheapest motoring I've ever had.

What about driving her till she snaps and putting the money off the next bangernomics? I know "better the devil you know" and all that, but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Aren't they non interference?

No NCT but still.........

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/3246935

View2-11125599.jpeg

220k mile diesel that looks straight.

Could be worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

RoverJames wrote: »
    No NCT but still.........

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/3246935

View2-11125599.jpeg

220k mile diesel that looks straight.

Could be worth a look.

No rev counter? :eek:

Still a decent polish and fresh NCT could see it for another 200k miles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Aren't they non interference?

I think they are.

166man wrote: »
    No rev counter? :eek:.............

Yeah, you'd think 'twould have one. I had a 1990 Rover 414si as my first car and that had a rev counter.

The Merc looks smelly enough on the inside, the 1992 250d I bought looked worse though externally :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

RoverJames wrote: »
    Lot's of that €900 is for the reliability reputation, it doesn't seem great value considering the clutch was needed to be done.

In fairness I suppose the tax covered your clutch :)

In the week I was looking for a car I looked at 4 other cars, and they were a bit more expensive and in worse condition or no tax or nct, one was badly crash repaired and was as dodgy as hell, I was running out of time and wasting time and money travelling to look at cars, I wanted a Toyota and this car popped up not far from me, its not the cleanest corolla around but with the new clutch and service I knew it would last which is more important to me at the moment.
    I did the clutch and service in my driveway on a friday evening and saturday morning so wasnt expensive like leaving it into a garage, I probably could have found one a bit cheaper if I had more time on my side but at least with this I know it will last..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

BX 19 wrote: »
    I think they are.

Think its the 3e-fe that is NI

:)

I know, it's all about luck really when going bangernomics if you are limited by time and location, same thing happened me three weeks back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,135 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Jimdagym wrote: »
    What about driving her till she snaps and putting the money off the next bangernomics? I know "better the devil you know" and all that, but still.
    Thought had crossed my mind but I got a quote of about €350 for the timing belt and water pump change so I'm inclined to do it since I've heard of plenty of these cars going well over the 300k mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

E39MSport wrote: »
    Think its the 3e-fe that is NI

The 3E, 4E and 5E engines are all non interference motors as far as I know. Rule of thumb with older toyota stuff is that the SOHC engines are non interference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

proper bullet proof :) - ta

166man wrote: »
    No rev counter? :eek:

Yeah, I've no rev counter in my '93 corolla either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,176 ✭✭✭ongarite

Citroen C5 with 9 months tax for €750:
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3242449
    Full-11103521.jpeg

Why does it say it's tax exempt (taxi?)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,364 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Exempt from nct too?

Another C5, Estate this time with good spec for €1200:
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3264880
    Full-11211297.jpeg

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Exempt from nct too?

It's not exempt from NCT, that's the motor tax class :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,969 ✭✭✭✭Esel

W123-80's wrote: »
    Has the ad been changed? €5,200 is not bangernomics....
    ongarite wrote: »
    Another C5, Estate this time with good spec for €1200:
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3264880
    Full-11211297.jpeg
    Looks like a great car for the price! What's the general opinion on the early C5?

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Merc 300sel for 1450.

Full-11065645.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3204168

Full-10916789.jpeg

No NCT on it alright, but it will pass, the car's in very good condition.
    And it is really from a BMW enthusiast lady owner.

I'd say you could go down a little bit as well ;)

Esel wrote: »
    Has the ad been changed? €5,200 is not bangernomics.............

'twas an 02 156 asking €950 iirc, not a €5K Passat.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3252155

Baura's mouse will melt with excitement looking at this...:)

Excellent little bus for the next year, if not a tad sluggish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭W123-80's

Esel wrote: »
    Has the ad been changed? €5,200 is not bangernomics....
    QUOTE]

Dunno what's gong on there, it was a 156 for €950 with test and 2 months tax.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3252155

Baura's mouse will melt with excitement looking at this...:)

Excellent little bus for the next year, if not a tad sluggish

"uses little oil and little coolant"

either a very honest seller and it uses a tiny drop of both or it may be guzzling a litre a week and they're covering their ass for some reason :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

If this is genuine then it's one of the best out there for the money,

€500 takes it, small bit of tax, 10 months NCT, new timing belt apparently.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3266759

View2-11220337.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I had a look at that the other day, interior's a little scruffy but the body's in good shape. Service history is patchy though, with gaps of 20k on more than one occasion, and I'd be sceptical about that 't' -- the Carzone ad (and MotorCheck) says HPT but I'm not sure there's even a low pressure turbo in there. It's certainly no T5.

He's dying to shift it though. He fed me a fairy story about some fella from Belfast ready to buy, despite having just dropped the price by 100 - Google cache says it was 1500 a few weeks ago - and he nearly dragged me into it for a test drive.

Nice car, but I'd get someone to go over the mechanicals with a fine tooth comb before offering a grand for it. And I'd make sure I had some cash handy for the inevitable. :)

• Advertisement

dahamsta wrote: »
    I had a look at that the other day, interior's a little scruffy but the body's in good shape. Service history is patchy though, with gaps of 20k on more than one occasion, and I'd be sceptical about that 't' -- the Carzone ad (and MotorCheck) says HPT but I'm not sure there's even a low pressure turbo in there. It's certainly no T5.

........ :)

.... you reckon its a 2.0 nasp?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement