Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lapua .22lr ammo

• 17-06-2005 10:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

Hi all,

I've had a look on the www.lapua.com website and they list a bunch of
    different ammo types (Even a choice of diameters to account for slightly tighter bores)

The only Lapua I seem to be able to find here is either "Standard Club" or "Super Club"

These are pretty much the bottom of the heap in the Lapua range,

anyone know where I can source the better stuff ?
    I would dearly like to try it out .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

To be honest JC, unless you're batch testing your barrel (in which case you go to the factory yourself), I'm not sure getting anything fancier than Super Club or Multimatch (or Master M, it's the same stuff essentially, just a different box) is worth it. But I get mine from Wilkinstown, and I think that it's sourced either through Millard bros or Ardee. Can't remember which.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

http://www.lapua.com/images/master.jpg

An excellent competition cartridge and good all-rounder, the Master bullet weighs 2.59 g (40 gr) and is available in the same bullet alternatives as the Midas (M = 5.67
    and L = 5.69).

Just thought it would be interesting to see the effects or lack of...with different diameter ammo :confused:

I have experimented with different types of ammo ..and so far in my rifle...

Remington Subs... Yuck
    Eley ... Useless groups
    CCI Subs... As above only worse.
    Winchester ..a bit better ..
    Standard club Lapua.. even better
    Super Club Lapua... Best group sizes and consistancy so far.

I'm tryin to source some RWS target and some of the better Lapua to round
    off these informal tests.

Well, you could try RWS R50/R100, but it'll be a tad expensive :D It's good ammo though, I've seen comparative batch testing between RWS and Eley on the same barrel and I'm not buying Eley at any time in the near future :D I'm also planning on going and getting some batch-tested R50 (& probably some R10 as well while I'm at it) in the new year. Till now I've been shooting Lapua Multimatch and Master M, it's good quality stuff (better than I need to be honest, since I've only been shooting at 25yd for the last while :( ). But the age-old rule applies; the best round for your rifle is the one that shoots best in it - and that's not always the most expensive one. Try lots of different types, pick the best one you can afford and then put a few thousand rounds down the barrel in training ;) Unless, of course, you're not doing competitive target shooting, in which case there are different criteria...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Millards diistribute Lapua, and they usually have a good selection available, get your dealer to give them a ring. The only problem is that there usually are minimum orders (between 1000-5000rds) so you'll either have to undertake to buy that amount, or convince your dealer it's worthwhile to stock them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

just to borrow this for a mo - I'm just trying a new round out - same price as lapuas super club but I cant find any ballistics for them. Can you help me out , they are winchester super x subsonic hollowpoints.
    Cheers in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Most Winchester rimfire ammuniton comes from the Australian subsidiary.

http://www.olin.com.au/enlarge/rimfire02.html

winchester super x subsonic hollowpoints.

Tried them last week..

about the same as Lapua standard club ..
    Not as good as super club.

Your rifle may "Enjoy" :rolleyes: them more than mine.

on the ammo topic...

Is there much difference over 25yds between brands? I shot winchester t22 and lapua match at this distance and there was no visible notice between the groups, got perfect scores with both brands.

on the ammo topic...

Is there much difference over 25yds between brands? I shot winchester t22 and lapua match at this distance and there was no visible notice between the groups, got perfect scores with both brands.
    No, at least nothing you'd ever notice. As long as it's reasonable quality, pretty much anything will hold the ten ring at 25yds indoors. There are the odd exceptions of course - I had an eley tenex round once keyhole through at 25yds - but they're rare enough. It's at 50m and more outdoors that it becomes more critical.

I didnt notice much difference between lapua superclubs and the other winchesters I asked about at roughly 45yards , still seemed just as tidy and tight to me... (note: I shot both of them at two targets beside each other and you would be hard pushed to spot the difference)

• Advertisement

I didnt notice much difference between lapua superclubs and the other winchesters I asked about at roughly 45yards , still seemed just as tidy and tight to me... (note: I shot both of them at two targets beside each other and you would be hard pushed to spot the difference)
    For most disciplines CE, there wouldn't be that much of a difference - but for the ISSF 50m discipline, especially in prone, you need an ammunition-barrel setup that will hold a group of less than 15mm edge-to-edge to be competitive at world cup level (and sub-12mm is looked for a lot at the higher levels).

Yeah but if your shooting at that level I think you 'll buy something better than umpa lumpas or super x s . Just on another side thing, is there something unusual that I cant hold the gun as steady in the prone position than in the seated? Is that specified in competitions or is it just generally considered better prone?

Yeah but if your shooting at that level I think you 'll buy something better than umpa lumpas or super x s
    In general yes, but there are quite a few excellent shooters out there shooting with ammunition that wouldn't be sold as top-of-the-line, but which happens to suit their individual barrel very well indeed.
    Just on another side thing, is there something unusual that I cant hold the gun as steady in the prone position than in the seated? Is that specified in competitions or is it just generally considered better prone?
    If anything, it ought to be easier to hold the rifle steady in a good prone position, but I think you might be shooting with a different kind of rifle, no? A lot of the anschutz match 54s were sold in prone-only stocks, mainly because belly shooting's so popular in Europe. But they're very tough to shoot from any other position really. They're too heavy, and the stock isn't right for pretty much anything but prone.
    Of course, there is the question of what kind of seated position you mean - if you mean sitting unsupported on the firing point with the rifle, that's one thing - but sitting at a benchrest table, that's another thing entirely :D

Its a bull barrel with a beaver tail stock , but I think it just doesnt in general work for me , I have tried a few differant techniques etc... but nothing. And buy seated I mean my backside on the ground and me elbows resting on my legs . What I was wondering is is there anything regarding what position you take in most competitions?

Yes, the position is pretty strictly laid out for ISSF C_E, it's covered in the rulebook rather fully. There is room for some variation in technique, certainly, but the basics are laid out.

K , so I gotta get used to it to compete in competitions, can't be that much of a problem. Cheers.

can't be that much of a problem
    That's the mindset to have! Looking forward to seeing you on the line!

Long way off that me thinks , best group at 50yrds is about an inch and a half...no idea where to start either , as far as I know there is only one rifle range within a wide radius of here and its military . The gundealer I bought from coaches the FCA team here though and I'll prob get into it through that or summit...

Don't go thinking it's that far off C_E, I'm dead serious when I say that the right mindset is the "I can do this" one. And that grouping sounds like a decent place to start from!

Kk I'll ask around , I've got all summer - anyways , thats enough straying from topic for now.

• Advertisement

Managed to get my hands on some Lapua "Master M" ..

Looking forward to experimenting with it this weekend... :D

Advertisement