Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heineken Cup - General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,361 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

19 Stone Gillian... nice :/

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭EmacB

A try butchered by toulouse

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

How was that not a try... lol

Dam must burst soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭circos

great try, great pass by Tindal.

• Advertisement

Holy cow batman that's some set of wheels.

Anyone else think Fitzgibbon is fair below par of HEC ref standard?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

holy crap.

Great match. Was that forward tho?

Didn't see the replay, but I thought it looked forward.

• Advertisement

I thought it was forward on first glance...replay doesn't make my mind up either...

Wow, on replay that was a foot or two forward.

just saw it now, came off a gloucester hand.

At one angle it looks that way allright.. hard to tell, but i guess the ref saw it coming off a red hand.

throwing away the game for a point...hate to see it but sure its better than they thought they'd get i suppose...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,361 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Ohhh not a popular decision. Happy with the LBP

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Gloucester played like champions for 79 minutes, and played like defeatists for one minute.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It was smart play from Gloucester to kick it out. Toulouse scored two, had one disallowed, and had a winger drop the ball 5m out from a certain try. They were just outside their own 22 so would have had to play it up nearly the whole pitch. A simple intercept, dropped ball, or stolen ball in a ruck and they could be going home with nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

CatFromHue wrote: »
    It was smart play from Gloucester to kick it out. Toulouse scored two, had one disallowed, and had a winger drop the ball 5m out from a certain try. They were just outside their own 22 so would have had to play it up nearly the whole pitch. A simple intercept, dropped ball, or stolen ball in a ruck and they could be going home with nothing.

Gloucester have no chance of getting out of the pool. Toulouse were all over the place in defence, they should have backed themselves.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Gloucester have no chance of getting out of the pool.

A losing bonus point away to Toulouse would indicate they do have a chance.

Coming home from Toulouse with nothing would indicate they don't have a chance.

Just outside your 22 with a lot of your players in a ruck is not a good position to be in to be backing yourself to score a try. If they forced it from there there would be more chance of Toulouse scoring a try.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

If Glos win their home games, get losing bonus points at Toulouse and Quins and win in Galway, they have every chance of progressing. In a group like theirs, a losing BP in Toulouse could be crucial. Leinster and Munster have relied heavily on securing losing bonus points in the past to get them through groups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

No where else really to put this, but just noticed two things, that Tim visser is now edinburghs all time top try scorer, and that his brother sep also joined edinburgh a few months ago

15 Clément Poitrenaud (Toulouse) - We begin with one of the toughest calls as Poitrenaud and Ben Foden stood out. Foden created the try for Chris Ashton, but for his ability to draw Gloucester defenders and create something from nothing, the Toulouse man gets our nod.

14 Doug Howlett (Munster) - Anyone who thought he and Munster were over the hill were made to eat their words on Saturday. Howlett rolled back the years to prove he still has plenty of juice left in the tank for games to come. His try at the end of the first-half was key.

13 Owen Farrell (Saracens) - He has already had a glowing reference from former Springbok captain John Smit and why shouldn't he. Farrell is growing game by game and showed a great deal in the number thirteen jersey against an improved Treviso outfit. He amassed 22 points in Round One and seems to be thriving outside Charlie Hodgson.

12 James Downey (Northampton) - Another showing that has one scratching his head as to why he is not in the Ireland shake-up. Downey was excellent in Limerick and arguably raised his effort to a new level against his former employers. However, the powerful inside centre will be disappointed that his try ultimately proved fruitless in the result on Saturday.

11 Iain Balshaw (Biarritz) - The only player in the opening Heineken Cup weekend to claim a brace of tries was the former England wing. Balshaw brought Biarritz back from the brink and in fact they can't be downhearted by leaving Liberty Stadium with a losing bonus-point.

10 Ronan O'Gara (Munster) - It was a toss-up between Francois Trinh-Duc, Dan Biggar and Munster's favourite son. O'Gara used all of his knowledge of the Thomond Park pitch as he pushed and probed the hosts around the field and just when Munster needed the ERC Best Player of the last 15 years, O'Gara stood up to knock over a winning drop against the wind.

9 Kahn Fotuali'i (Ospreys) - While Luke Burgess enjoyed an impressive debut for Toulouse, warming Stade Ernest Wallon with his physical approach that was Byron Kelleher-esque, there was a certain Samoan causing a stir in Swansea. Fotuali'i set up the Ospreys' only try and looked good alongside the also impressive Dan Biggar at half-back. Excellent signing.

8 Ernst Joubert (Saracens) - It was tough to only pick one of the Montpellier back-row as Masi Matadigo and Fulgence Ouedraogo put in good shifts together with 'Gorgodzilla'. Gone are the days though of Treviso being a walkover and that is why Joubert gets in the mix.

7 Mamuka Gorgodze (Montpellier) - The Georgian forward was the first name down on the teamsheet after an heroic 80 minutes for Montpol. He started out at number seven and then shifted to eight, keeping Sean O'Brien uncharacteristically quiet at Stade Yves du Manoir.

6 Peter O'Mahony (Munster) - Who? Apparently he is the next big thing at Munster and proved just that in his man-of-the-match performance. The flank, who may not have started if the hosts were injury-free, was tireless in the loose and looks to have a very bright future.

5 Paul Tito (Cardiff Blues) - Emerging from the sidelines for James Down early into their away victory in Paris, former captain Tito was superb at lock, earning high praise from his coaches and team-mates alike. Cardiff Blues have now given themselves every chance.

4 Courtney Lawes (Northampton) - Yet another athletic showing from the England lock as he covered ample ground and made countless tackles, one of which stood out as he tracked across the line to foil an overlap. Saints should not be written off topping this Pool.

3 Taufa'ao Filise (Cardiff Blues) - A try for the tighthead sees him edge out Geoff Cross in this spot. Winning at Racing is no mean feat and the Welsh have done their qualification hopes a power of good, particularly as London Irish fell at home to Edinburgh.

2 Agustin Creevy (Montpellier) - Darren Dawiduik got the better of Gary Botha at Stade Ernest Wallon with an effective yet unflashy showing. However, Montpol's pack deserved more than just the solitary spot and that is why the industrious Argentine forces his way in.

1 Soane Tonga'uiha (Northampton) - Once again we witnessed the immense power of the Saints front-row as Munster found themselves wanting in many a scrum. Alongside Dylan Hartley and Brian Mujati, Tonga'uiha was strong both in the set-piece and around the field.

Taken from PlanetRugby

Interesting selection. No Leinster players. Fair enough. Though I think Sexto's performance was unfortunately over shadowed by his team's lack of one.

Is there anywhere to watch all of the 'red button' games, even highlights?

Also interesting is the British view on Downey's exclusion of the Irish camp. Think he proved he wasn't as 'one-dimensional' as people think in the Munster match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Ouedraogo's omission makes a mockery of that selection. Probably the single best player at the weekend. Edinburgh's No. 8 was absolutely immense also. He single handedly took on London Irish. Those two boys were absolutely everywhere in their games and are the reasons their teams took anything from the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Sexton definitely should have been in that team, he was the only back in Leinster who played to the standard that is expected from Heineken cup winners and single-handedly kept us in the game. I also agree that Ouedraogo deserved a spot in there, and though I couldn't pick a hooker for the weekend, I was certainly paying full attention to the Leinster match, and I thought Strauss outperformed Creevy with a dominant performance at the breakdown and elsewhere. I'd also give Richie Gray the nod ahead of Lawes, and that Gloucester deserved a player in that team, perhaps Sharpells.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I would have put Sexton, Ouedraogo and Sexton in the team.

PA tends to pick the popular players for popular reasons. i.e; would ROG get picked if he didn't kick the winning DG? Doubtful. But since he did it's easy to pick him. You could say the same for the rest of the selections. I think they got the backs right tho from 11 to 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Hagz wrote: »
    I would have put Sexton, Ouedraogo and Sexton in the team.
    So good you named him twice? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Joe Worsley retired from rugby.

A great player in his day.

Advertisement