Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blue Whales Getting Bigger

• 01-02-2012 3:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭

This is pretty cool.
    ocean currents boosting the amount of krill around the Antarctica are likely to be responsible for this growth.

Co-author zoologist Dr Erich Fitzgerald of Museum Victoria says whales in general have continued to get larger and could theoretically continue to grow assuming they could get the food they require.

http://news.discovery.com/animals/blue-whale-larger-than-ever-120131.html

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,073 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Interesting, I wonder will this improve their chances of survival or just make it harder!
    Here's a photo that gives a bit of perspective on the size of these guys, although I think it might be a humpback in this so the blue would be even bigger!!

4VvX5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,601 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Thats interesting - many species like Polar Bears, Elephants, Tigers etc. are shrinking due to human induced factors leading to lack of food, illegal poaching that singles out the bigger specimens etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Think that picture is a humpback. The blue whale is less 'fat' looking and longer (in fact it is twice the size of a humpback).

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,073 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Galvasean wrote: »
    Think that picture is a humpback. The blue whale is less 'fat' looking and longer (in fact it is twice the size of a humpback).

Yea it looks like there's barnacles around its snout too which I would associate with humpbacks. Pretty staggering how large the Blues are when you think about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

This is pretty cool.

Meh.. I've been getting bigger for ages; its easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 paddy1977

Hook head in Wexford, thats where to go for the humpbacks :)

paddy1977 wrote: »
    Hook head in Wexford, thats where to go for the humpbacks :)

There was one spotted off Achill Island last week too: http://www.iwdg.ie/article.asp?id=2527 :)

Ya i seen that on the web site, very cool,you a member of the IWDG, i am myself, just bought a new scope last week!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Pretty staggering how large the Blues are when you think about it.

I hear ya
    5163165_1c3f43c69b.jpg

paddy1977 wrote: »
    Ya i seen that on the web site, very cool,you a member of the IWDG, i am myself, just bought a new scope last week!

No actually, but i think i might join. Wouldn't mind doing one of their whale spotting courses.

• Advertisement

Im going on the 1 in september on Cape, can't wait, have it booked already, the hostel is only 22euro a nite, can't go wrong for a great weekend, hopefully some whales around :)

I hear ya
    5163165_1c3f43c69b.jpg
    Hopefully ill get to see 1 in my life time :)

Advertisement