Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBL accounted hacked, used to play/buy FIFA stuff

• 25-11-2011 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Hey all,

I've had what is described in the link below happen to me today. I didn't get caught by any phishing scam or give out my password so I'm not quite sure how they got my account info. I had I think something like 2,500 points on the account which were spent. My account is temporarily suspended while Microsoft investigate, it'll likely be around three weeks they reckon.

Be careful and keep an eye out for this.

http://www.tgdaily.com/games-and-entertainment-brief/59089-xbox-live-accounts-hacked-by-fifa-fans

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Ultimate team players got your account

• Registered Users Posts: 15,187 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Its the information they got off the EA servers some time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

The exact same thing happened me at the start of the month. I had 1300 points and all but 20 were spent. It also showed I had achievements in Fifa12 but I dont even have that.
    Still waiting to get my gamertag back. Its a pain in the ass tbh.
    They also changed my security question to something in German which I dont speak. Dont even know what the question was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

Yep, this just happened to me about an hour ago. Had 1800 points on there, they added another 2000 then tried another 5000. I'm now down at 80 points.

Anyone had any luck with MS? Or does anyone know how they are getting into the accounts?

Call Xbox support, they will launch an investigation into your account to get it recovered for you. Takes about 21-25 days.

• Advertisement

Vicxas wrote: »
    Call Xbox support, they will launch an investigation into your account to get it recovered for you. Takes about 21-25 days.
    Aye done that this morning. The support dude was very helpful.

Just wondering how they got the details for the account. There's no way it was phishing and my computer is clean of malware and spyware.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Jericho.

I got my account back last week, they were quick enough in fairness. They gave me a month of extra live by way of compensation for the time lost and I got my points back.

I reckon they got the info from EA somehow, my EA password and xbox password are the same. I can't think of any other way that they might have got it.

I don't play FIFA (pro ev guy). Could someone explain to me the benefit of the way these guys are hacking. What do they get out of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

2 Youtubers have been hacked in the last few days. 555BarcaBoy555 and KSIOLAJIDEBT.
    Barca boy has a vid called ea rany that explains all

Yeah, I don't really see what anyone gets from it.

Will look this vids up after work, cheers copper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭davidk11811

Well the reason you guys are getting hacked is people use your MSP points to buy tonnes of FIFA Ultimate Team packs. These packs have players in them and some rarer players can be sold for crazy amounts of "coins" (Fifa Ultimate Team currency). These coins can then be sold for real money. That's why so many people have been getting hacked lately. The hacker either wants to keep the coins themselves (or MSP to spend on packs to get coins) or they want to sell the coins for money. If you look on eBay you can see coins for sale. Some of the players in Fifa Ultimate Team are worth over 2-3 million coins so that could be about 300 Euro if they were to sell them.

To hack a player's Ultimate Team, all the hackers needs is the user's email address, DOB and the hacker needs to know how many players are in the person's "club". You may not know what this is if you don't play Ultimate Team but many Youtubers are getting hacked because their DOB are easy to find and also the security question is easy to find because they are making Fifa videos showing their teams. I don't know how the XBL accounts are getting hacked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

This is why I've always been uncomfortable with real world money being obtainable from in game items so to speak, It will inevitably lead to a more accounts being hacked and muppets playing the game.

Also another thing to watch out for is iphone/android apps for xbox stats and friends feeds etc. theres been a few of those set up to phish account details.
    Unbelievably one of them is still on the android market when I checked yesterday :(

calex71 wrote: »
    This is why I've always been uncomfortable with real world money being being obtainable from in game items so to speak, I will inevitably lead to a more accounts being hacked and muppets playing the game.

Also another thing to watch out for is iphone/android apps for xbox stats and friends feeds etc. theres been a few of those set up to phish account details.
    Unbelievably one of them is still on the android market when I checked yesterday :(
    What's it called? I only use the official ios one on my ipod that was launched the other week mind you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

What's it called? I only use the official ios one on my ipod that was launched the other week mind you.

"Gamercardroid for xbox live" is the one I saw yesterday, but there are tonnes of these apps and part of their functionality requires you xbox log in to work.

Another reason why xbox.com is so slow too as these apps and other web sites are scraping data from it.

If anyone is using these app make you know it's from a reliable publisher, after that you have no way to know really how securely your log in data is stored on their system :eek:

I'm not trying to scare monger, caution is the order of the day in these modern times, lmao some of the apps removed where actually screwing people twice by actually charging for the app in the 1st instance :D

It's so easy to develop apps and have them published with very little experience these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

happened to me last night..
    I don't post up my xbox/msn login details anywhere.
    I run 2 apps that I've trusted for a very long time so I don't think it's them...

The feckers drained the 2400pts I had in my account on the 20th, which I failed to notice as I only use the xbox every so often
    And then last night they bought 8000pts and drained them in minutes.
    Only for paypal emailing me of the purchase I wouldn't have seen anything - lesson there to not leave autopayment details in the system...

Reported to xbox support - account locked and suspended :(

DemoniK wrote: »
    happened to me last night..
    I don't post up my xbox/msn login details anywhere.
    I run 2 apps that I've trusted for a very long time so I don't think it's them...

The feckers drained the 2400pts I had in my account on the 20th, which I failed to notice as I only use the xbox every so often
    And then last night they bought 8000pts and drained them in minutes.
    Only for paypal emailing me of the purchase I wouldn't have seen anything - lesson there to not leave autopayment details in the system...

Reported to xbox support - account locked and suspended :(
    Check your alternate email as they sent me through a 30 day gold code to use while they investigate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Happened to me as well, got 100 quid charged through my paypal account. Investigations have been lodged with both, guess I'll be doing my online gaming on the PC for the next month.

Check your alternate email as they sent me through a 30 day gold code to use while they investigate.

Didn't get an email - but the advisor told me to sign up a new account on my existing console which should get me 30 days trial anyway..
    Didn't try it yet - been busy with other stuff..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭gar

same as :-(

Just got the email now saying that's my account back up and running. Also got another Gold code in the email. Which is handy as my sub is about to run out ;)

If it was any of you support guys on here that I spoke too, big thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,433 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Fascinating blog of someone this has happened to.

http://hackedonxbox.tumblr.com/post/15365217063/microsoft-a-company-with-no-brains-heart-or-soul

tl;dr version: If it happens to you, remove your credit card details from your account ASAP to minimise the damage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Mr E wrote: »

http://hackedonxbox.tumblr.com/post/15365217063/microsoft-a-company-with-no-brains-heart-or-soul

tl;dr version: If it happens to you, remove your credit card details from your account ASAP to minimise the damage.
    Holy f**k. TL;DR version: MS won't lock your account even if they say they will, and the hacker can continue to take money from your account as you cannot log into your account to remove the link to your bank/paypal/etc account. So if you get hacked, make sure you change your password for your bank/paypal/etc account to ensure that more money doesn't get automatically taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

Mr E wrote: »

Am I wrong in thinking that this a relatively new problem? With all these hacked accounts and no answer other then its the consumers fault for not having a secure password. I don't buy this as again the problem seems to be bigger them MS is letting on. (a bank would not get away with this answer in my opinion)

If this is a new problem do you think it has any connection to the problems MS had in september?

Also surely if the girl on the blog can track down the accounts in question without the access to information MS have, what the hell is the fraud team doing? Or are they over worked?

This is criminal activity, not kids hacking accounts, and the proper authorizes should be involved, that women its down serious money! I would not be happy with the company being used to fraud costumers, investing the crime itself, for oblivious reasons.

And before anyone jumps down my troth I'm not saying MS are frauding people, but it would not be to beyond the relm of possibility that former employe could be behind this, as the system seems to be well known, or I could be miles off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

My account got hacked in September by someone in Russia, they managed to spend about 1600 MS points and transferred the locale of my account to Russia.

After numerous calls and emails to MS, it's still not sorted 4 months later. I can access my account and play games off disc, however the dashboard is still in Cyrillic and localised to Russia, which is a bit of a stinker, and my DLC is inaccessible. XBL keep sending me 1 month Gold codes which I been using, so it could be worse. Luckily. I didn't have my CC details in my account.

However, I have no idea how the hacker got access to my account in the first place, I keep my passwords very secure and wasn't phished as far as I know, the conspiracy theorist in me says cover-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

the_syco wrote: »
    Holy f**k. TL;DR version: MS won't lock your account even if they say they will, and the hacker can continue to take money from your account as you cannot log into your account to remove the link to your bank/paypal/etc account. So if you get hacked, make sure you change your password for your bank/paypal/etc account to ensure that more money doesn't get automatically taken.

Basically we do, some agents might screw up and not do it, but the policy is to lock the account

Mine was locked within minutes of me phoning xbox support.

However, am sure there's a delay if someone is still logged in on your account...

As soon as I saw the paypal emails for the payment of the MS points, I went on via my laptop, changed my password and removed all payment details THEN phoned xbox support.

This thing has been going around since November at least.. I still don't get how they hacked my account - my password is fairly strong, and I didn't use it for any other sites...
    Oh well - still no emails from xbox support on my secondary email.. fingers crossed I get it back soon.

My account is still 'under investigation'. Logged the complaint on 28th Dec and was told it will be resolved in 25 days... still waiting and when you ring up they have no further information...

Grr!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭403 Forbidden

gar wrote: »
    My account is still 'under investigation'. Logged the complaint on 28th Dec and was told it will be resolved in 25 days... still waiting and when you ring up they have no further information...

Grr!!!!!

In the same boat here. Logged on the 29th Dec. Now its 30 Jan and still nothing. No Phone call, no email, no nothing, I have been onto to them 4 times now trying to get this sorted. Now they are saying it could take another 25 days :(

Investigations take between 14-30 days, longer if the details were given incorrectly or how complex the case is (i.e if your account was migrated to another country)

In the same boat here. Logged on the 29th Dec. Now its 30 Jan and still nothing. No Phone call, no email, no nothing, I have been onto to them 4 times now trying to get this sorted. Now they are saying it could take another 25 days :(

Yeah been back on this evening and was told they had no new information but that there is activity in 'the investigation'.
    Told them im not happy... again and i want an update from someone. anything.
    My case is now 'highlighted' and I should get a resolution in 7 days...
    I may die if i hold my breath.

Might be worth calling asking for your case to be 'highlighted' or to talk to a supervisor straight off.

Gar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Has everyone in here had their accounts stolen and used for FIFA Ultimate Team? It's obviously not Xbox Live that has been hacked as we'd all be in the same boat and MS would have to do a Sony-like suspension of service. Just wondering if there's any running theme. I'd imagine some people's email addresses used for their Gamertag aren't very secure either and secret questions would be easy to guess. Hmm, this guy is from Ireland, his secret question is Mother's birthplace - I'll take a stab at Dublin. BINGO.

Advertisement