Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The road to a 1:2X Half Mara.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Sunday 26th Feb
    5 mile recovery run today, legs were very tight today but nothing major.

Monday 27th Febuary
    Rest day, legs were shot today after the weekends run my left hamstring and c**f didnt feel great. I was more doms then injury but took the day off to be safe.

Tueday 28th Febuary
    Legs a lot better today hamstring is 100% and the other area of the leg perfect also. Picked up a new pair of runners today decided to go all retro with the old Kayano 16's. Tried on a few new pair but if it's aint broken don't fix it. Not going to risk the 18's until after london because they seem to have changed a bit to much from the 17s.

6 miles easy along the canal.

Wed 29th Feb
    2 mile warm up easy along the lucan road, legs were feeling a little stiff but had been sititng in the office for 10 hours so that could be a factor. Plan today was 5X3 mins with 1 mins easy recovery.
    Not really sure what happend on the first rep, didnt feel any slower then the second but the garmin seems to suggest it was very slow.

3 mins @ 8:01
    3mins @ 7:35
    3mins @ 7:23
    3mins @7:23
    3 mins @ 7:24
    Not to bad a sesson felt really good on the last two reps but kept the pace down. Finished off with a 2 mile easy jog back to the office to finish some work...... :(

Might need to push back my long run to sunday as i'm planning asports massage on Friday but will see how the legs feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Larry Brent

Great sess, good on ya boy.

Great sess, good on ya boy.

Was happy enough felt good today once I got going, Would have been easy to get carried away with the pace but not doing anything mad for the next 7/8 weeks.
    Will learn a lot more for the next 2 long runs.

• Advertisement

Thursday 1st March
    9 miles easy 50% road/Grass mix. Legs felt tight but have been a lot worse.

Friday 2nd March
    Alarm went off at 6am to get out the door for a run as it would be the only time i'd get out today, 7:30 and finally got out of bed :(. Had a sports massage this afternoon so will give the run a skip for the day. Its only a missed recovery run. The Legs are a little beat up so need to let them recover this evening. Think I'll need a few more before London.

Sat 3rd March
    5 miles recovery run today, legs are feeling a lot better. Kept the pace nice and easy. Only down side of the run was that the motocross guys decided to leave their feilds and come into mine. It's not nice running into traffic in the park :(/

Sunday 4th March
    18 mile this morning, talked the brother into doing a couple of easy miles around Malahide castle, After 8-9 miles left the park and did a loop of Malahide/Portmarnock via the coast road. Got to 15-16 miles and the wheels fell off a little so that last 2 miles around the castle again were really hard work. Was half expecting this as I was only on h2o for todays run. Will start to play with gels from next week.

18 miles @ 9:30

Monday 5th March.
    5 mile easy recovery run tonight, started out legs felt great but after a mile could feel yesterdays run was still there. Kept the pace nice and easy. Feeling 100 time better than they did this time last week.

Tuesday 6th March
    When I got the plan for the week this session was one I couldn't wait to do, but was glad that it was early in he week when the legs would be a little tired.
    Felt a little stiff today but nothing major. The plan was for 2 mile warm-up and 4X1mile @ 7:50 with 1 mins jog recovery and a 2 mile warm down.

Felt a little sluggish on the warm-up wind and rain had just started but wasn't to bad. Once I got going I found the first mile hard work took the legs a long time to get going but once they did felt very strong. Decided to do the session in the back feild of Corkagh so wind was a bit of an issue for half the lap and the down wind section was up hill.
    Had to slow myslef down midway through the 3rd rep as the pace was getting a little to fast and had to keep an eye on it again on the 4th.

1 X mile 7:51
    1Xmile 7: 38
    1X mile 7:37
    1Xmile 7:41

1.8 mile warm-down felt hard legs were a little tired.

8.2 miles for the day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Good running take it very handy tomorrow. Are you just doing a recovery run?

Good running take it very handy tomorrow. Are you just doing a recovery run?
    Yep very easy 5 miles tomororw.

Wed 7th March
    5 miles easy long the canal tonight, didnt wear my garmin and kept the pace really easy.

Thursday 8th March
    10 miles today in Corkagh taking the route into the Knackers feild, it makes almost exactly a 5 mile loop that works nice. Had theRoadrunner for company for the first 5 miles and the second lap on my own. Pace for the seond lap was a bit faster than the first but was just feeling great today, had to keep an eye on the garmin to make sure i wasnt running to fast.

10 miles @ 8:45

Friday 9th March
    Rest day today, really feel like doing a few easy miles but going to resist the urges. Will sit in front of the TV and watch the indoors before work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

shels4ever wrote: »
    Sunday 4th March
    18 mile this morning, talked the brother into doing a couple of easy miles around Malahide castle, After 8-9 miles left the park and did a loop of Malahide/Portmarnock via the coast road. Got to 15-16 miles and the wheels fell off a little so that last 2 miles around the castle again were really hard work. Was half expecting this as I was only on h2o for todays run. Will start to play with gels from next week.

18 miles @ 9:30

Hey Shels, looks like the training is going pretty well for you.
    Just to mention (and I know that you will already know but simply to serve to remind you!) the importance of getting a good feed in the day before the LSRs. I have been doing this over my longer runs recently and have not used gels at all (But have taken some lucozade sport) but still manage the distances fairly reasonably. Last time out I had my pasta dinner at 11pm the night before my 30 mile training run and aart from a brief couple of miles I felt pretty decent.
    Just thought I'd mention it in advance of the next LSR.

belcarra wrote: »
    Hey Shels, looks like the training is going pretty well for you.
    Just to mention (and I know that you will already know but simply to serve to remind you!) the importance of getting a good feed in the day before the LSRs. I have been doing this over my longer runs recently and have not used gels at all (But have taken some lucozade sport) but still manage the distances fairly reasonably. Last time out I had my pasta dinner at 11pm the night before my 30 mile training run and aart from a brief couple of miles I felt pretty decent.
    Just thought I'd mention it in advance of the next LSR.
    Cheers, starting to make some progress now. Yep its something that I havent been doing part planned to be honest, Will try a couple of gel's this week just to see how the go down but not going ott on the past the night before just yet. Will do that on one of my 20's in the coming week maybe. If i can manage 20 miles slightly under fules then 26 miles will be easy.

* 26 miles are never easy.

Sat 10th March
    5 mile recovery run, nice easy run and aout 15 horses for company for about 400m which was a bit strange.

Sunday 11th March
    18 odd miles today on grass in corkagh. Ran a 3 lap loop to give me just under 6 miles per lap. Kept the pace nice and easy for the first 11/12 miles @ 9:35 , then met coach for a couple of miles pace increased for a while and found it hard to slow down after that. Last couple of miles were a bit of a slog had to stop to strecth the hamstring out once or twice but was glad to get this one done.

Legs seem to only have 2 gears at the moment fast or slow.

18 miles @ 9:21

Monday 12th March
    Handy 5 mile recovery run, legs felt great for the first 3 miles but then yesterdays run showed up.

• Advertisement

Tuesday 13th March
    Nice handy 6 miles along the canal tonight, only kpet the garmin on for the first have to see when to turn back . kept pace to about 9:15 but after a couple of miles the legs started to feel good. Nice session planned for tomorrow can't wait...

Wed 14th March
    Legs have been a little tired so wasnt sure how this was going to go today. But have been feeling good once the legs get moving so couldn't wait to get going. Plan for today was basically to wreck myself and see how survive.

5 mile warmup @ 9:45

1X800m @ 7:50
    800m recovery @ 9:20
    1X800m @ 7:31
    800m recovery @ 9:14
    1X800m @ 7:37 ( a couple of ditches on this rep).
    800m recovery @ 9:23
    1X800m @ 7:25
    800m recovery @ 9:15
    1X800m @ 7:23
    800m recovery @ 9:03
    1X800m @ 7:23
    800m @ 9:20

Was feeling great for the last few reps and had crazy though of seeing how fast I could run, but did the smart thing and stuck to plan.

Wanted to get a few extra miles in the warm down but was running late for work so only 1.5/6 mile warm- down

12.5 miles for the day @ 9:16 average pace..

Thursday 15th March
    Rest day today, was going to do a couple of miles today if the legs felt a bit tired. But feel perfect so will rest today and a nice easy run tomorrow.

Friday 16th March
    6 miles handy in the rain in corkagh park, nothing much to report on this run.

Sat 17th March
    20 miles in Phenoix park a large % of this run was on grass. Was glad to have Chinguetti for company on today run, even if it was more running and less chat for the last 3-4 miles. Legs felt great upto about 18 miles and it was a bit of a slog to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Those last 3 miles were the longest ever. I think the Garmin was mocking us. Hope the legs are ok after it.

chinguetti wrote: »
    Those last 3 miles were the longest ever. I think the Garmin was mocking us. Hope the legs are ok after it.

Yep one mile just wouldnt end, think it might have lost signal for a while. Legs are grand now after a bit of a feed and a nice nap :). just slightly tight hamstring but expect something after 20 miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Roller derby :) still cracking my hole laughing. Best night in a while!!!

Good run today, sub 4 is yours to f up.

Roller derby :) still cracking my hole laughing. Best night in a while!!!

Good run today, sub 4 is yours to f up.
    Yep looks like a mental sport,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1uAgwdC4JI

Sunday 18th March
    Very easy 4.7 mile recovery run, legs were a little tired and both calf and hamstrings felt tired, so wasnt doing anything mental. Kept the pace nice and easy.

Monday 19th March
    5 mile easy run , had to keep telling myself this was a recovery run, legs wanted to run fast heead wanted to run slow. Head wins.

Nice easy week this week with 2 rest days, then only 2 hard weeks left. Won't be doing anything crazy.

• Advertisement

Rest day today :(, have had some physical threats made that if I get jedwarded in london the crown jewels are at risk.. Noting like some good motivation to start the last 5 weeks.

Advertisement