Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Motorhome / Conversion, VRT and You.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

All you need to know is here

You can still build your own, but it needs to be certified by an NSAI registered garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭jamesbil

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭brian_m

Hi Guys,

I am toying withe the idea of a camper/day van for my mountain bike excursions. From reading the other threads I have gained a lot of useful knowledge but am still a bit unclear on a few items. A Mazda Bongo would be ideal size wise but they are a bit on the expensive side for what I want and seem quite hard to come by outside the UK. Another suitable vehicle on my radar is a MKII Nissan Serena/Elgranda people carrier. They seem to be priced reasonable and look like they would carry a bit more comfort than a panel van.. What I want is a diesel engine, a rock and roll bed, probably a fridge and a sink set up with a hose to run outside for a quick wash down of the bikes. I am not that bothered with cooking tbh but willing to install a cooking set up to come around reclassification terms. I am confident in carrying out the work myself.

1. My understanding is that the 1.8m rule no longer applies for VRT classification so I am good to go on that front but it may be a motor tax issue depending on who I meet/which tax office I go to?

2. As a Serena is already classed as a private car I would not have any additional VRT liability to pay when its is classed as a camper?

3. Does anyone have any experience of what the storage space stipulation consists of..? As space in a Serena is limited enough I was thinking one or two small cupboards or a roof box for my conversion?

any help appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

There is a nice but old VW day van on done deal at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

brian_m wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I am toying withe the idea of a camper/day van for my mountain bike excursions. From reading the other threads I have gained a lot of useful knowledge but am still a bit unclear on a few items. A Mazda Bongo would be ideal size wise but they are a bit on the expensive side for what I want and seem quite hard to come by outside the UK. Another suitable vehicle on my radar is a MKII Nissan Serena/Elgranda people carrier. They seem to be priced reasonable and look like they would carry a bit more comfort than a panel van.. What I want is a diesel engine, a rock and roll bed, probably a fridge and a sink set up with a hose to run outside for a quick wash down of the bikes. I am not that bothered with cooking tbh but willing to install a cooking set up to come around reclassification terms. I am confident in carrying out the work myself.

1. My understanding is that the 1.8m rule no longer applies for VRT classification so I am good to go on that front but it may be a motor tax issue depending on who I meet/which tax office I go to?

2. As a Serena is already classed as a private car I would not have any additional VRT liability to pay when its is classed as a camper?

3. Does anyone have any experience of what the storage space stipulation consists of..? As space in a Serena is limited enough I was thinking one or two small cupboards or a roof box for my conversion?

any help appreciated :)

Best of luck with your venture, whatever you go with in the end!!

1. You shouldn't have any issues when at the motor tax office once the CVO gives it an inspection. Some motor tax offices are also carrying out inspection which rules out the CVO.

2. I'm not fully sure on where the VRT comes into it any more, I had a Private 94 Ambulance up for VRT December 2010 but my latest is a 98 Caravelle down as a Private MPV which didn't require any VRT...

3. You'll need a two gas hob, bed and sink to pass the requirements as a campervan. Haven't heard of any requirements re storage space...

There's new requirements that all work has to be carried out by qualified body/individual. I'm sure there are ways and means around it, but these requirements were due to come into play at the start of this month.

• Advertisement

There is a nice but old VW day van on done deal at the moment.

great, will check it out thanks

stevire wrote: »
    Best of luck with your venture, whatever you go with in the end!!

1. You shouldn't have any issues when at the motor tax office once the CVO gives it an inspection. Some motor tax offices are also carrying out inspection which rules out the CVO.

2. I'm not fully sure on where the VRT comes into it any more, I had a Private 94 Ambulance up for VRT December 2010 but my latest is a 98 Caravelle down as a Private MPV which didn't require any VRT...

3. You'll need a two gas hob, bed and sink to pass the requirements as a campervan. Haven't heard of any requirements re storage space...

There's new requirements that all work has to be carried out by qualified body/individual. I'm sure there are ways and means around it, but these requirements were due to come into play at the start of this month.

thanks Steve,

2. Ya i cant imagine anything else is due as full VRT would have been charged on the original registration here when imported from Japan..

3. Ok sounds good, thought i read that somewhere

really... that could scupper the whole plan.. can anyone else mention a way around this if one has been found?

on the Bongo/Serena topic; are these now classed as campers and can they be taxed as such?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sparrow100

Hi Guys

I am a young guy just arrived to your beautiful country because of professional reasons. My wife and me want to take the opportunity to discover Irelands beauty in the weekends and are therefor searching for a small campervan, cheap, doesnt have to have a lot of comfort, but just in order for at least 1-3 years of discovering Ireland!

But I am reading all this info about MOT, VRT Etc that I lost my way. For the moment I am looking at 1) an old Nissan van (1995) for 900 EUR (not converted to a camper, but good enough for some mattresses and boxes - commercial vehicle and has a Mot) and

2) an even older Toyota Hiace (1985) for 2200 EUR (converted to camper, needs nct test, low taxes).

Does anyone has advice?

Do I need an extra test to get insurance for 1) or 2)? What will be the prices around?

Is the chance realistic that the old Nissan will not pass the test? (I don't want to use the van only for some months only of course).

What tests will I have to do for 1) or 2)?

MANY thanks for your answer or help, while we are completely lost :)-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

sparrow100 wrote: »
    Hi Guys

I am a young guy just arrived to your beautiful country because of professional reasons. My wife and me want to take the opportunity to discover Irelands beauty in the weekends and are therefor searching for a small campervan, cheap, doesnt have to have a lot of comfort, but just in order for at least 1-3 years of discovering Ireland!

But I am reading all this info about MOT, VRT Etc that I lost my way. For the moment I am looking at 1) an old Nissan van (1995) for 900 EUR (not converted to a camper, but good enough for some mattresses and boxes - commercial vehicle and has a Mot) and

2) an even older Toyota Hiace (1985) for 2200 EUR (converted to camper, needs nct test, low taxes).

Does anyone has advice?

Do I need an extra test to get insurance for 1) or 2)? What will be the prices around?

Is the chance realistic that the old Nissan will not pass the test? (I don't want to use the van only for some months only of course).

What tests will I have to do for 1) or 2)?

MANY thanks for your answer or help, while we are completely lost :)-

That hiace looks nice 4 speed auto could be thirsty especially above 55mph probably 25 - 30mpg. Beware of tinworm in a van that age. Beware of underseal its a great cloak of invisibility that can hide all sorts.

Van conversion take 10 x times the time you think it will and you'll spend a small fortune by the time you've added up everything. If the nissan is €900 by the time you've bought mattresses, cooker, pots and pans, curtains, gas bottle, lights, wiring, insulation, timber, roof vent etc. etc. you'll be close to the cost of the hiace and the extra tax for 3 years would bring you over the price of the hiace.

With the price of fuel now if it was just the two of us I'd probably build a decent sized teardop trailer or get a folding caravan like a esterel and tow it with our car rather than hulking around a couple of tons of steel and chipboard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭carmad

Guys if I bought this;
    http://vans.autotrader.co.uk/bodytype/panel-van/makemodel/make/volkswagen/model/transporter/mileage/min/39999/sellertype/trade/price/11000/max/stock-item-id/8a6ae5b63810748c01382d59b7293d27/advert

Reg it as a van (50?) and get it converted to a camper will I save?
    Or what is the best/legal route and the costings?

carmad wrote: »
    Guys if I bought this;
    http://vans.autotrader.co.uk/bodytype/panel-van/makemodel/make/volkswagen/model/transporter/mileage/min/39999/sellertype/trade/price/11000/max/stock-item-id/8a6ae5b63810748c01382d59b7293d27/advert

Reg it as a van (50?) and get it converted to a camper will I save?
    Or what is the best/legal route and the costings?

It will work out the same, if you register it as a van you will pay 50e VRT (not sure if this is still the standard rate?) to get it to a commercial. When going from commercial to camper you will have to pay additional VRT which is worked out as 13.3% of the OMAP of the vehicle as a camper.

If you got a minibus you wouldn't have to pay additional VRT when going from bus to camper but the VRT when importing it would be a lot higher.

I should think they'll fleece you on the omsp for a 2011 van though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 motherofdivine

Great post,Thanks!!!! I have just bought a 01 transit that's been converted but not reclassified, how do the calculate VRT? Anyone got a rough idea how much it would be for a van that age?

Great post,Thanks!!!! I have just bought a 01 transit that's been converted but not reclassified, how do the calculate VRT? Anyone got a rough idea how much it would be for a van that age?

No one knows how they calculate it no transparency here you're probably looking at 500-800 quid depending on how big/well converted it is berths etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 motherofdivine

Thanks, it's a bit tatty inside and I've started to do it up, think I will leave doing anything to it until it's valued and they calculate the VRT, Basic body and engine are fine and it meets all the requirements so should pass, €500 to €800 ?? mmmm, now I know why I got it so cheap!
    Thanks for getting back to me.

The interior doesn't really matter when it comes to calculating the VRT but would be a strong basis for an appeal (but you can only appeal after you pay the VRT!!). Have a look on DoneDeal for any transit campers of 01 and it'll roughly be 13.3% of the average asking price.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 ianx

Currently converting a Mercedes Vario 4x4 to a Class C. The VRT convo should be interesting.....

ianx wrote: »
    Currently converting a Mercedes Vario 4x4 to a Class C. The VRT convo should be interesting.....

Don't worry the vrt will be nothing compared to the diesel, parts and maintenence :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Mikesound

Any update on this topic?
    Whats the position now?

• Advertisement

Good question, I'm looking for a van to convert too...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Same as it was before.

What made you think they've changed things to simplify them for us?

What made you think they've changed things to simplify them for us?

nothing, just wondering if they have made it harder or impossible..

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭CharlieZeroOne

the VRT should be nothing, becauuuu...... oh yeah.

if you were changing it to another type of goods vehicle, there would be no vrt. but, since your changing it to a camper there will be vrt. it cant be too much though, those varios, feckit, nothing at all, sells for much these days. theyre "market price" scam took a dent with the recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 gogathome

I see no reason why not, since the height requirement is no longer an issue. However, be sure that you pass the other requirements for a motorhome. i.e. cooking facilities of no less than 2 rings, plus a seating area, plus fixed sleeping acommodation (which may be part of the seating area once converted)

Are there any more requirements for a vehicle to be classed as a motorhome ?
    I hope to buy a VW camper/van which meets the above criteria for a camper but thats about it. i.e. it doesn't have a toilet or a sink/shower.

So would it be classed as a camper ?

Also, would it help if it's already classed as a camper in the UK or do the Irish VRT crowd do their own checks anyway ?

Regards,

Colm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

gogathome wrote: »
    I hope to buy a VW camper/van which meets the above criteria for a camper but thats about it. i.e. it doesn't have a toilet or a sink/shower.

Also, would it help if it's already classed as a camper in the UK or do the Irish VRT crowd do their own checks anyway ?

Regards,

Colm.

A toilet is not a requirement but a sink is, as far as I can remember but I can't find the documents at the moment. Check on the various threads here on Campervan Testing or the RSA website.

If it's already registered in the U.K. as a camper they might not look inside the vehicle but who knows?. They didn't when I imported mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭niloc1951

gogathome wrote: »

Regards,

Colm.

A passenger vehicle with, seats, a table, sleeping accommodation which may be converted from the seats, cooking facilities and storage facilities is a motor caravan as defined by the EU.
    It's as simple as that and EU governments are bound by that regulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

niloc1951 wrote: »
    A passenger vehicle with, seats, a table, sleeping accommodation which may be converted from the seats, cooking facilities and storage facilities is a motor caravan as defined by the EU.
    It's as simple as that and EU governments are bound by that regulation.

Not quite that simple.
    gogathome was questioning the fact that his has no sink. I seem to remember reading, somewhere, that a sink was part of the requirement for being classed as a motor caravan here, regardless of other countries which may or may not have this as a condition.

Thanks for the replies lads.

No straightforward rules that I can find so far anyway.

I have checked other threads on here but can't get a definitive answer, sounds like there used to be a rule of min height internally of 1.8M but I think that is gone.

I will try the RSA website as recommended, if I find any rules that are set in stone I will be back to share them here.

(Though don't hold your breath :( )

• Advertisement

I found a document entitled "FAQs in relation to Motor Caravan testing" on the RSA website. (Link provided below)
    http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Your-Vehicle/Your-Vehicle-/Commercial-Vehicle-Testing-/Testing-of-Motor-Caravans-/
    At the end of the first page, it reads as follows:

What is the definition of a motor caravan?
    A motor caravan has the meaning given to it in Annex II of the Type-approval Framework Directive; .i.e.
    A vehicle of Category M with living accommodation space which contains the following equipment as a minimum:
    (a) seats and table;
    (b) sleeping accommodation which may be converted from the seats;
    (c) cooking facilities;
    (d) storage facilities.
    This equipment shall be rigidly fixed to the living compartment. However, the table may be designed to be easily removable.

Happy days ;)

Advertisement