Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Question: Should I Remove stones from soil?

• 07-07-2009 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭

Hi I have had a garden now for a number of years and every time I have to dig into soil for whatever reason if I come across stones I remove them.

Is it OK to remove the stones?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭rocknchef

because your garden is mature, I would only remove them if somebody can trip over them or they can break you lawn mower etc

stones and rock help with drainage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Stones also conduct/retain warmth in the soil.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Sneachta

Oooops have removed loads of stones. Better stop. Thanks for the replies guys...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

It really depends on where they are:

In the lawn, then only remove them if they are near the top and will damage the lawnmower or if you can feel them when sitting on the lawn.

If they are in soil that you are using for a vegetable patch then remove them. To assist with drainage you can mix in a course sand or shale (which you can pick up for free from a beach).

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Sneachta

Thanos wrote: »
    It really depends on where they are:

In the lawn, then only remove them if they are near the top and will damage the lawnmower or if you can feel them when sitting on the lawn.

If they are in soil that you are using for a vegetable patch then remove them. To assist with drainage you can mix in a course sand or shale (which you can pick up for free from a beach).

How about in the flower beds. Should I leave them or move them?

• Advertisement

Sneachta wrote: »
    How about in the flower beds. Should I leave them or move them?

Yes, remove them from flower beds also, just do the same and have a good course sand in there to stop the soil becoming clotted. It also makes it much easier to dig and turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

you can mix in a course sand or shale (which you can pick up for free from a beach).

Thought removing stuff from beaches is illegal?

Thought removing stuff from beaches is illegal?

Really? Guess we better lock up any one who has taken a nice stone or all the kids who have taken shells from the beach then :eek:

I really dont think the beach will miss a 2 or 3 small bags of sand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

there is a law preventing the removal of sand from the beach actually. I'll try and find it.

I guess if everyone removed 2 or 3 small bags eventually...............or maybe not

EDIT

removal of beach materials is covered under the ForeShore Act 1933 and the amendments that have been made to that act since then from what I can see. In addition, a quick search about shows that Local Authority Beach By-Laws also prohibit the taking of materials from beaches owned by them.

and apparently, coastal and beach erosion due to taking of sand is a problem in some areas, particularly in rural farming areas

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I really dont think the beach will miss a 2 or 3 small bags of sand.

The problem is when 100's and 1000's of idiots do this, sure the beach won't miss a few thousand bags of sand :rolleyes:

There's a very good reason why this law exists

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Yes removal of beach material is illegal. Also the salt content makes it unsuitable for building or garden use.

Cabaal wrote: »
    The problem is when 100's and 1000's of idiots do this, sure the beach won't miss a few thousand bags of sand :rolleyes:

There's a very good reason why this law exists

Well one you are assuming that 1000's of people would be doing this (which I very much doubt) and two that the sand that is there now will be the same sand that is there next year and the year after and the year after that.................
    To assume that the sea and weather do not take away and deposit more sand would be misguided.

All the above was on the assumption that there was no problem with this until it was pointed out that there is a law about it.
    However i am sure it depends on what and how much you are taking away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

If it wasn't illegal, contractors would be going out there filling sacks and selling it on.

It takes the sea a long time to grind stones to sand - it's a non-renewable resource.

If it wasn't illegal, contractors would be going out there filling sacks and selling it on.

It takes the sea a long time to grind stones to sand - it's a non-renewable resource.

True, but there is a big difference between some one getting a shopping bag or two and a firm getting a truck full.........................

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Dude, accept it, your advice was against the law, and also the material is actually unsuitable, as another poster pointed out, because of the salt content.

So actually, instead of braving the beach front after dark to illegally remove a few bags of sand or shale that you have to wash repeatedly with multiple changes of fresh water when you arrive home, thereby doubling the environmental damage you're doing, just go to the garden centre and buy a couple of bags, which isn't going to break the bank. Or the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭rocknchef

I think the op has got his answer already

Dude, accept it, your advice was against the law, and also the material is actually unsuitable, as another poster pointed out, because of the salt content.

So actually, instead of braving the beach front after dark to illegally remove a few bags of sand or shale that you have to wash repeatedly with multiple changes of fresh water when you arrive home, thereby doubling the environmental damage you're doing, just go to the garden centre and buy a couple of bags, which isn't going to break the bank. Or the law.

I did accept it, which i believe i said in a previous post

"All the above was on the assumption that there was no problem with this until it was pointed out that there is a law about it."

And just to know for future, where can one look up such laws? I was trying to google it but I kept getting reports and not the actual law.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

They do and what a strange interpretation of 'non-renewable resource' whatever that means? Surely if it is a natural occuring event, is it not a renewable resource? I don't think we need worry about collapsing cliff faces?

Thanos - sea shell is actually sea waste, and it can be put to very good use as drainage, slug repellant etc etc when roughly crushed.

PC Vigilantes would be better to focus on more harmful and potentially much more serious events taking place regularly on much of Ireland's shoreline including:

Lack of Blue Flags, Boy Racers, Revolting Litter, Dog Faeces, Damaged Outflow/Raw Sewage to name but a few.

Advertisement