Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cognitive behavioral therapy

• 08-08-2007 2:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if someone provides this service in Cork? Has anyone any comments on this type of therapy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Gibs

Have a look here for possibilities in Cork.

CBT is used to treat a wide variety of psychological difficulties. It is the most researched approach in psychology today and has been shown to be highly effective when provided by a suitably qualified therapist. A google search should clarify any more specific questions. It's the evidence-based treatment of choice for many presentations.

Are you wondering about treating a specific difficulty with CBT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

Gibs wrote:
    Have a look here for possibilities in Cork.

CBT is used to treat a wide variety of psychological difficulties. It is the most researched approach in psychology today and has been shown to be highly effective when provided by a suitably qualified therapist. A google search should clarify any more specific questions. It's the evidence-based treatment of choice for many presentations.

Well i was seeing a psychiatrist for a while and was given the diagnosis of paranoid psychosis and but on Risperdal. But i then later find out that this conidtion is a symptom, not a diagnosis. So i stopped going and stopped taking the meds. But things havent gone so well so i went back on them and plan to return to her. But i would like to know what exactly is wrong with me so thats why i am returning also. So i suppose to answer your question i dont really know whats wrong with me, but the terms bi-polar and schizophrenia have been thrown around by counsellors.

Daithi,

While your initial request was quite general, I think what you are talking about now is more related to your own personal circumstances. I would advise having a look at the charter of this forum which can be found here and which says that discussing personal issues is not part of the remit of this forum.

If you need any information or advice about symptoms you are experiencing yourself, I would strongly recommend talking to your psychiatrist again, or another suitably qualified mental health professional. They will be able to give you the most accurate information about the issues you are concerned about and the best treatment options for you.

Apologies if that sounds a bit fussy, but the rules of the forum are there for good reason and are in place to protect people and prevent them from being given medical/psychological/psychiatric advice from essentially anonymous people who may not offer the information or guidance that is most suited to them and their particular situation.

Best of luck.:)

I appreciate you comments, but in fairness i tried to avoid making it personal by simple asking peoples opinions on the technique itself, and not in relation to me. The only time i stated my case was when you requested, so i think its a bit rich that you are pulling me for breaking the charter when you blatantly requested that i do so.

In saying that, i do intend to discuss it with my psych so i will leave it at that. I was just hoping for a general discussion on the topic, not my personal case.

Gibs wrote:

I don't think anything in the above asked you to discuss your own personal situation Daithi, but if that's how it came across, then I apologise. Hope all goes well for you.

• Advertisement

Gibs wrote:
    I don't think anything in the above asked you to discuss your own personal situation Daithi, but if that's how it came across, then I apologise. Hope all goes well for you.

Perhaps i put to much emphasis on the word 'you'! hehehe never mind!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 timmol

i think ur just paranoid boy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

CBT is only really effective in treating mild mental disorders such as mild depression or anxiety.
    It professes to have huge success rates in curing and preventing depression but the actual data is a bit sketchy.

Personally, a good psychiatrist is your best bet. Even if it means going on all manner of medications.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

jtsuited wrote:
    CBT is only really effective in treating mild mental disorders such as mild depression or anxiety. .

CBT in general:

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mentalhealthinformation/therapies/cognitivebehaviouraltherapy.aspx

http://www.babcp.com/
    (also lists CBT therapists in the Republic & North of Ireland)

CBT & Psychosis:

http://www.psychosocial.com/current_2002/CBT_Psychosis.html

http://www.iop.kcl.ac.uk/departments/?locator=400

http://bjp.rcpsych.org/cgi/content/full/183/3/262-a

to give some idea of the state of the evidence.

CBT & major depression: the seminal paper of Neil Jacobson & his colleagues (1996) would be of use ..............behavioural activation was found to have similar results as CBT. But the B is still part of the family of CBT!

timmol wrote:
    i think ur just paranoid boy

Certifiably so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 wexford1

Cork
    Wednesday
    7:30 P.M.
    Capuchin Friary, Fr. Matthew Quay

http://www.recovery-inc.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

I don't think CBT would be everyones cup of tea, and from what I've read, it is only suited to certain conditions and certain people.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 wexford1

To all Mental Health sufferers
    I attended the recovery classes and without a doubt it has been the most important thing to happen to me. It transformed me from a nervous yes-man half living a life between setbacks into a self respected valid person who no longer fears return of my illnesses.
    i can't believe that people know of aware and grow but not Recovery. There are meetings in most parts of Ireland. Recovery is a true CBT group therapy and it works.
    If your life is dogged by anxiety, symptons, fear of relapse, fear etc. then get yourself to a Recovery Meeting. Expect to put time, effort, patience and above all predispose your self that CBT requires change, change of your beliefs about symptons, illnesses, right and wrong, and your beliefs about you.
    I would have no doubt that walking into your first Recovery meeting will be the best desision you make in your life. Its power (over time) will be way bigger that you could ever imagine. It will appear very simple to you at first and you will wonder if it could be capable of the effects i mentioned but if you listen to what the members are saying and put it into practice, you will see in time what i'm on about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭celticcutie

Although CBT seems to have gained huge momentum in the recent past its NLP (Neuro Linguistic Programming) that I find intriguing.

Supposedly with this form of therapy the therapist takes ones unconscious, makes it conscious, reprogrammes it (positively) and makes it unconscious again. The underlying belief of this approach is not years of one on one counselling but a 'rewiring' of the mind per se in one to two sessions.

The guy who presents that programme 'Not Enough Hours' on RTE is a pscychologist and one of the leading NLP practitioners in Ireland. Check him out:

http://www.nlp.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭skeptic griggsy

:D I follow the rational emotive theory [cognitive] of Albert Ellis in '"The Myth of Self-Esteem" in that I try to put matters into perspective rather than bray at reality.
    Unlike other schizotypals, I objurate the supernatural and the paranormal. My shizotypy was limited to paranoia and termianal shyness. O no longer have to have therapy or medicine for this personality disorder, which is a shadow form of schiziophrenia.
    Attention span, learning and memory show themselves problematical for me.
    I only have to take medicine for my double depression, other than medicine for my diabeltes.
    Thankfully, I did not have to undergo an exorcism! It Just as demons have no place in psychology, God has no place period.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Cinful

Has anyone any comments on this type of therapy?
    They use this therapeutic treatment for bi-polar mood disorders. Local clinic claims success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 clare06

there is a cognitive counsellor in dungarvin, Helen mcCabe. hypnotherapist too. just google her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 boringteetotal

I went for CBT and my experience of it was that it is very practical and helps when applied to your everyday life.

I went down the counselling road but what has helped me get complete victory is my faith in Jesus.

:DRational emotive therapy is a form of CBT. We ever have to see matters in perspective rather than let them overwhelm us. :eek:
    Anyone here with another personality disorder? What have you learned in getting along with others from CBT ? Stoicism inspired Dr.Ellis. Does any philosophy help you manage your life anyone?:confused:
    Has anyone here any comment about "The Myth of Self-Esteem" or any other of Ellis's books?;)
    Robert Price's "The Reason-Driven Life" encourages us to use reason in odrer to live abundantly.;)

:eek: Faith can help in that it is a replaceable placebo. Actually, one helps oneself without divine input: so, one ought to give oeself the credit!
    Contrary to the argument from angst [ Augustine, on, father, we are restless without you, to paraphrase.]:confused:
    So many of the great psychologists are atheists.:D
    My psychiatrist is no exorcist!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

The guy who presents that programme 'Not Enough Hours' on RTE is a pscychologist and one of the leading NLP practitioners in Ireland. Check him out:

http://www.nlp.ie/

In what sense is he a 'psychologist'? And let me declare my bias that I think NLP is hokum and about as scientific as clairvoyance!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

I am NOT commenting on any psychologist tv presenter, because I do not know anything about him/them but the title 'psychologist' is not statutorily protected (whereas medical doctors and nurses have statutory registration) and so ANYONE can call themselves a psychologist without ever having done any courses whatsoever. So if you are looking for a psychologist, make sure that they are members of either PSI - the Psychological Society of Ireland- or BPS -the British Psychological Society.

:DJulius, yes, that is ever so essential. There are the weirdo ones with their repress memory scam and such.:mad:
    Now I can freely say I love you to others. It turns out that others in my extended family have mental problems.:eek:

Advertisement