Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BHAA 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭AJCOT

The inaugural "Quick Trip in the Nip" takes place later today in Moone, Co.Kildare. This 50 metre dash is sponsored by the Irish Naturists Society and is an invitational only meeting (not featured in any calendar). There will be numerous spot prizes & all finishers will receive a complimentary brack from Mooneys bakery. Edited photos will be posted later. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Bludub

Yesterday was my first BHAA race. I thought the organisers did a great job. There was also a generally welcoming and supportive atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

4.00 miles for me, having run this race a few times I would like to think I ran the race line pretty well

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

Another great race from BHAA but whats the story with people warming up on the course as the womens race was happening and strolling across the finish area as people were still racing. It's rude and the lady in the jeep shouldn't have to spend her time telling them to move of the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

guapos wrote: »
    Another great race from BHAA but whats the story with people warming up on the course as the womens race was happening and strolling across the finish area as people were still racing. It's rude and the lady in the jeep shouldn't have to spend her time telling them to move of the course.

It seems to be the same every race where the blokes decide it's alright to warm up on the course whilst the women are trying to race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

The next race on the BHAA calendar is the 10k at the K-Club, which is being discussed here

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭emerald007

The only thing you can't wear at BHAA races are headphones.

Is this on Thursday June 14th, as per the calendar?
    Or Wednesday June 6th, as per the list of upcoming races?

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

RayCun wrote: »
    Is this on Thursday June 14th, as per the calendar?
    Or Wednesday June 6th, as per the list of upcoming races?

Ray, It's on Thursday June 14th.

Great, thanks. I'll be away for the 6th and flying back home specially for the race wouldn't fit the BHAA value-for-money ethos ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

emerald007 wrote: »
    The only thing you can't wear at BHAA races are headphones.

Looking forward to running my first BHAA race on Saturday and will abide by all of the rules! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

K Club 10K, Great event, great location, great organisation, Thanks to Gerry, BHAA & All the volunteers, Also a special thanks to the kids at the water station, Nice spread afterwards (:

A huge well done to BHAA regular Garrett Doherty, who today broke the world record when he ran the Wexford Half Marathon backwards.
    It's a hilly enough course & there were frequent heavy showers to make this achievement all the more remarkable. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Bencon

Before yesterdays race the announcer went over a few basic rules, no headphones, obey the stewards/gardai, stay to the left. All very sensible and standard at most races. Does anyone know if there is a rule regarding running with animals?. There was one woman running with a dog. I saw several people almost trip over the mutt at the start. I would have thought she would at least have had the decency to start at the back as yesterdays start was very congested.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

Bencon wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there is a rule regarding running with animals?.

Doubt it but maybe they will now! I suspect that the dog is not a regular attendee at BHAA races so hopefully it won't be an issue at future races.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 40 dingonerd

Before yesterdays race the announcer went over a few basic rules, no headphones, obey the stewards/gardai, stay to the left. All very sensible and standard at most races. Does anyone know if there is a rule regarding running with animals?. There was one woman running with a dog. I saw several people almost trip over the mutt at the start. I would have thought she would at least have had the decency to start at the back as yesterdays start was very congested.

Had me worried too...took me almost 2k to catch the fecker..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

Was that the lady in the Donadea singlet? She had a labrador also decked out in a donadea singlet. I'm well impressed if she ran it with the dog cause she was third lady overall and sub 40 as well :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

groovyg wrote: »
    Was that the lady in the Donadea singlet? She had a labrador also decked out in a donadea singlet. I'm well impressed if she ran it with the dog cause she was third lady overall and sub 40 as well :eek:

Yep and that included at leat 3 stops to give the dog water etc. I was right pissed off when she came jogging past me at 4k, dog in toe and chatting away.

She's a class athlete though. Irish 50k champion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

Ya I know she's a class athlete, but now I'm depressed a bleedin mutt can break 40 mins with 3 water stops and I can't even get near it. Dog wasn't even out of breath at the finish...it could've probably managed another 10:cool:

• Advertisement

If it's any consolation I don't think the dog ran the whole thing - I passed her in the first lap when she had the dog, she passed me in the second without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

dingonerd wrote: »
    Had me worried too...took me almost 2k to catch the fecker..

Took me 3k! If she'd started at the back there would have been carnage. The dog took off like a rocket.

I got a kick out of the dog running, but if he'd tripped me up I'd definitely have been raging.

A dog?

Allowed in a race?

Is that a joke?

I must bring my pet teams of huskies to the next one. Or maybe my pet racehorse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

There was one woman running with a dog. I saw several people almost trip over the mutt at the start. I would have thought she would at least have had the decency to start at the back as yesterdays start was very congested.

I was talking to her post race. Dog broke 40mins, although to be fair I think he could've done better, he seemed way too fresh after.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Racman

You can safely assume that there will be no dogs accompanying runners in any future BHAA race. I am not aware that it has occurred before. I would say that if the person had asked for clearance before the race, it would not have been forthcoming. There shouldn't have to be a rule about it - if you want your dog to race, enter him in Harold's Cross. I guess that pushing a child in a buggy (in a race) should be prohibited too.

On Saturday May 5th at 11.00, five hundred plus people will race around the RTE Donnybrook Complex and it has nothing to do with radio or television. It’s the annual RTE/Business Houses Athletic Association 5 mile race. Prizes will be presented by a personality with tickets for the “Late Late Show” among the many spot prizes on offer . This event has won the BHAA race of the year a record three times. All runners, from hares to tortoises are welcome with an entrance fee of a tenner for BHAA members and €15 for all others. Last year, the winner Vinny Mulvey, finished just under 25 minutes while the clock stopped for the final runner, almost half an hour later.
    There are individual prizes for the first three women and men home plus for the first three in each of the age categories together with team awards. Showers and refreshments are available post-race in the RTE Sports and Social Club with parking available to all. All details, photos of the action and a video will be available shortly after on bhaa.ie. Contact Niall Mathews on 01 2082591 or mathewn@rte.ie for further details.

Summer League details are up there now. Roll call of boardies running on Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Ah sure why not, what else would you do on a sat morning:D

I'm in.
    Want to top that league table :)

• Advertisement

some changes to the summer calendar?
    bhaa_summer_league_2012.png

Looks like I'm running a 1500m this year, but not a 3000m...

Advertisement