Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you're on RAS does your rent contribution increase if you get a student grant?

• 31-07-2011 6:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

Currently we're on rent allowance but thinking of trying to move over onto RAS. The Rental Accommodation Scheme. Been on rent allowance and the housing list for years (since 2004) I'm on a disability allowance and my spouse (who's my qualified adult dependent) is a full time 3rd level student. Per new rules on student grants my spouse from Sept will now only get about €1200 a year in grant payments. I'm starting as a mature student at UCC in Sept and I would get approx. €2300 (inc. a so-called "top up" grant) What I am trying to figure out is if we move off RA and onto RAS would any money above our basic SW payment mean an increase in the rent contribution we'd have to pay to the city council?

On RA we currently have to make up a difference of about €24 a week I think. On RAS that would change to having to make up a difference of about €41. Would only be worth moving from RA (a house) to RAS (an apartment) if the grant was not taken into consideration by RAS. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Ana36

Hi Marti,
    As far as I'm aware, if you are in receipt of rent allowance, you are no longer entitled to the Higher Education Grant. You will have to go onto the BTEA and since 2010, cannot receive both rent allowance and the higher education grant.

However, if you are on the RAS scheme, which is run by the county councils, I think you are entitled to apply for the grant as you are no longer receiving rent allowance, but paying rent to and now dealing the council instead of the HSE.

Your best bet is to contact you local Citizens Information Office and the Housing Authority in your local County Council. But I am sure that you cannot receive rent allowance and the higher education grant anymore. You will however receive 500euro from the Social Welfare and there are numerous other grants that you can apply for through your college.

Hope that helps somewhat!
    Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭marti8

Ana36 wrote: »
    Hi Marti,
    As far as I'm aware, if you are in receipt of rent allowance, you are no longer entitled to the Higher Education Grant. You will have to go onto the BTEA and since 2010, cannot receive both rent allowance and the higher education grant.

However, if you are on the RAS scheme, which is run by the county councils, I think you are entitled to apply for the grant as you are no longer receiving rent allowance, but paying rent to and now dealing the council instead of the HSE.

Your best bet is to contact you local Citizens Information Office and the Housing Authority in your local County Council. But I am sure that you cannot receive rent allowance and the higher education grant anymore. You will however receive 500euro from the Social Welfare and there are numerous other grants that you can apply for through your college.

Good luck!

Thanks for that Ana, I'll probably phone the city council tomorrow and see what they say. Pity they changed the rules for mature students and the grant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Ana36 wrote: »
    Hi Marti,

Good luck!
    Sorry ana36, but none of this is right at all.I have no idea where you could have got this "information":(. OP can stay on his DA and apply for the Grant. Time is ticking on the grant, 31st August is the deadline, fill it in attach the evidence, drop it in by hand, if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Ana36

I got this information from Citizens Information, Social Welfare Offices and local county council.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/third_level_education/fees_and_supports_for_third_level_education/maintenance_grant_schemes_for_students_on_third_level_courses.html

In order to continue receiving rent allowance, one must be on the BTEA. People on the BTEA can no longer receive the Higher Education Grant since 2010. I have friends who are on OPFA but living in council houses and they are entitled to the grant but my friends on DA or OPFA that are in receipt if rent allowance must go onto the BTEA in order to maintain their rent allowance.

Total disgrace. Contacted T.D.s during election time regarding this issue and was informed that the state make a saving of...wait for it....7million euro per year by introducing this. So much for investing in education!

However, I really don't think this should stop people from moving forward and progressing with their education. Don't let this get you down! Credit Unions are lending out money now so that is an option! Also like I said before there are numerous other grants that can be applied for through the colleges/universities. You can also still apply to your local county council for your registration fees to be paid. So that helps loads!
    Onwards and forwards!
    All the best! :)

Advertisement