Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a Rabbit in Dublin

• 08-02-2009 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

what in your opinion is the best place to buy a midget rabbit & accessories.

as in price, healthy...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Traditional

you could catch one for free in Dollymount the place is over run with them

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Maddy5

you could catch one for free in Dollymount the place is over run with them

Im looking for a pygmy rabbit or something like that.. it has to be really small and with a lot of hair.. and I want it since its a baby because I want to raise it properly.. I just wanna go to some good stores so I can see what I really want...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

They are no such thing as a midget rabbit and I have never heard of a pygmy rabbit? What exactly are you looking for, if you are looking for a small rabbit with lot's of fur then it's a lionhead rabbit your after :rolleyes:. A ''midget'' rabbit is called a dwarf....I suggest you do some research before you get a rabbit here's my website http://www.irishrabbitcare.webs.com

They are no such thing as a midget rabbit and I have never heard of a pygmy rabbit? What exactly are you looking for, if you are looking for a small rabbit with lot's of fur then it's a lionhead rabbit your after :rolleyes:. A ''midget'' rabbit is called a dwarf....I suggest you do some research before you get a rabbit here's my website http://www.irishrabbitcare.webs.com

A pygmy rabbit is the smallest rabbit n the world... they live n columbia.. you can look for it n google...
    And yeah I think that I want a lionhead rabbit... Ive been reading your website and its really nice.. I want to do my best when I get the bunny...

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Im looking for a pygmy rabbit or something like that.. it has to be really small and with a lot of hair.. and I want it since its a baby because I want to raise it properly.. I just wanna go to some good stores so I can see what I really want...

You mean a dwarf rabbit? Rabbits are a social animal and should be kept in pairs and neutered/spayed to stop unwanted litters. Have you tried the DSCPA they sometimes have rabbits. Long haired rabbits require grooming and even if you raise the rabbit right at 6 months they rabbit might become grumpy and aggressive neutering/spaying will help with that.

Rabbits also require two lots of vaccinations VHD and Myxomatosis and the usual shop bought cages are not large enough.

Check out zooplus.uk for cheaper more spacious housing, they also require a lot of floor time, it's too cold yet to introduce a shop bought rabbit to the outside. Do do a lot of reading up first they are more complicated than people think. Also ensure you have a good small animal vet that has a lot of experience with rabbits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lelex

Hi!

My advice would be not to get a rabbit in a petshop, as they are usually weaned too young. Rabbits in Petshops might also not be pure bred dwarf rabbits, and you may end up with a larger rabbit than you wanted! Find a breeder, or even better rehome an unwanted rabbit, there are so many of them... In many cases these rabbits will already be neutered or spayed and you will know what size they are, and also what their personality is like :)

Rabbits are very social creatures, so it's best if you get 2. A neutered male and a female would be the best combination. Rabbits should also not be kept in cages! They can be litter box trained just like cats, and are very active animals who need lots of space to run, especially at night when they are most active. You can either rabbit proof an entire room for them, or use a puppy pen to build them a safe play area. Remember to hide or protect cables as rabbits like to chew... Give them plenty of toys such as untreated wicker baskets, cardboard boxes or branches for them to chew and play with.

Always give them an unlimited amount of fresh hay, fresh water and some vegetables and fruits. Most of the rabbit food sold in shops is not suitable for rabbits as it contains cereals or nuts which are unhealthy for rabbits. Only good quality timothy pellets (green pellets) with a high fiber content should be given to your rabbit, and only in moderation.Remember that your rabbit should also get vaccinated, especially if you want to have it outside.

Unfortunately there is a general misconceptiont that rabbits are very easy to keep, and only require a small cage and pellets... Rabbits are not just there to be cuddled, they are not suited for small kids as they generally don't like to be picked up. Rabbits need a lot of care and attention, and could cost you as much as a cat every month if you take care of them properly. However, if kept the right way, they make great pets and can be very affectionate and great fun :D

Thanks!..
    Ive been walking through Dublin for hours.. and I just found one store n Quay and they dont have lionhead rabbits...

DO YOU KNOW ANY STORES AROUND HERE WHERE I CAN GET ONE????:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lelex

Hi Maddy!

Why don't you contact the DSPCA? They usually have rabbits there, and as lionheads are pretty popular, the chances are they will have some of them :) I really wouldn't buy a rabbit from a petshop, in most shops they are separated from their mother way too young, and it is not rare that they die very young as a result of this. Most shops won't be able to tell you the gender of the rabbit either, which is very important to know if you want two of them. Also, lionhead rabbits aren't an official breed, so they usually grow a bit bigger than a netherland dwarf rabbit, just in case you didn't know this. I would really advice you to adopt a rabbit, as there is loads of them looking for loving homes. You can check on Irish pet forums (just google them) and you might find ads of people rehoming their rabbit :)

A very good site about rabbits is the House Rabbit Society, you will find lots of useful informationon their page http://www.rabbit.org/

Let me know if you have any more questions :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

To be honest I rarely see rabbits looking for homes in shelters, there aren't that many. Also, lionhead rabbits aren't dwarves, they are a medium breed, so if you are looking for a small rabbit you might want to consider a smaller breed.

Advertisement