Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Neighbourhood Watch Merged Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

After seeing the Ongar car burglary video on Youtube, after seeing it shared here, I'm considering getting a hidden camera at the front and back.

I don't think it's good enough just to deter these toerags. I want to catch them.

My garden shed was ruffled through about 9 months ago, but i don;t keep anything in it, but someone will try the house at some stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I was suggested to me that a camera, that they can't see is sometimes more useful than one they can. As they avoid the camera they can see or damage it. But you'll get a better photo of them from a camera they don't know is there. I dunno if you have to have a sign saying there is one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

BostonB wrote: »
    I was suggested to me that a camera, that they can't see is sometimes more useful than one they can. As they avoid the camera they can see or damage it. But you'll get a better photo of them from a camera they don't know is there. Obviously you have to have a sign saying there is one.

Really? that's a shame. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭franksm

Dudes, you're right. A visible camera means that they just wear scarves/balaclavas. So go for a discrete camera if you can.

I would recommend IP dome cameras with onboard storage. Pretty much fit-and-forget, and there's no need for a separate DVR to worry about. You can pull footage over the wireless connection, or connect to a DVR, or have the camera copy/FTP to a Onedrive or Dropbox or similar. IP camera is good also because you can set it up easily without having to go up and down ladders all the time.

Funny thing about needing a sign: apparently you don't. I asked Citizens Advice about it, one of the solicitors there got back to me and said you don't need signs nor planning permission. So long as you are okay with someone asking you for footage under the Data Protection act - that's about the worst that will happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Really? that's a shame. :D

TBH I don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Marcin_diy

franksm wrote: »
    Dudes, you're right. A visible camera means that they just wear scarves/balaclavas. So go for a discrete camera if you can.

I would recommend IP dome cameras with onboard storage. Pretty much fit-and-forget, and there's no need for a separate DVR to worry about. You can pull footage over the wireless connection, or connect to a DVR, or have the camera copy/FTP to a Onedrive or Dropbox or similar. IP camera is good also because you can set it up easily without having to go up and down ladders all the time.

some of the IP cameras you can set to send photos straight to your email box.
    every time camera's sensor detect motion it takes picture and send it... + you can watch live video from www.

There is also a chance you will notice a postman visiting your wife twice a day when you are away :D

Was on facebook and there has been a HUGE uptake on houses broken into in Cabra as well as Dublin 15. Be alert out there, they are going after presents for christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Just to make people aware, there was a mugging in Littlepace (Clonee) last night at 9.30pm. Despite it being on a well-lit road, three youths (one on a bike) grabbed a light brown handbag from a lady and made off with it. Please be wary when walking at night, and try to avoid walking alone if possible. I have some further information on the description of the three youth involved but won't post in here as it would probably derail the discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭RichardoKhan

Arciphel wrote: »
    Just to make people aware, there was a mugging in Littlepace (Clonee) last night at 9.30pm. Despite it being on a well-lit road, three youths (one on a bike) grabbed a light brown handbag from a lady and made off with it. Please be wary when walking at night, and try to avoid walking alone if possible. I have some further information on the description of the three youth involved but won't post in here as it would probably derail the discussion.

Whereabouts in Littlepace? Main road? Side streets?

It happened in Bramblefield Walk in Littlepace, that's an estate down at the Huntstown end.

Talking to other residents today, I heard an interestingly similar story from a lady who's daughters iPhone was stolen out of her hand last month going through the "kissing gates" at Hazelbury Park.

The thief in this case was also black guy, on his own with his hood up, and the individual was traced to Ongar whereupon the guards were involved and he denied everything, but strangely the phone turned up a week later and the charges were dropped.

The guards told the resident at the time that this gang are operating in Ongar & surrounding areas and rob phones/handbags, especially at the "rat road" area in Ongar that we have discussed many times on this thread. Apparently it's always the same fellas and girls in the gang, aged about 18/19, and they are robbing to pay off money they owe for drugs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭horse7

Watch your speed, traffic camera van at travel lodge navan red,near esso garage all day today. Not an accident blackspot,just revenue collection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Was there yesterday at morning rush hour as well, in dense fog and traffic moving at less than 10kmph...somebody must have wanted a break from the office!

On Wednesday was on the opposite side of navan rd,parked where the left lane turns up auburn ave.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭daymobrew

horse7 wrote: »
    On Wednesday was on the opposite side of navan rd,parked where the left lane turns up auburn ave.
    That is likely because the speed limit drops from 80 to 60 just after the Esso petrol station, for the pedestrian lights.

Granted,but this was at the auburn junction /navan red traffic lights.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

There has been suspicious activity in the Deerpark area of Castleknock the past week. Houses being looked at and sized up by opportunists. Be on the alert!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I've heard a lot of people saying they've seen strangers checking out houses all over.

I've never seen it do common before.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    There has been suspicious activity in the Deerpark area of Castleknock the past week. Houses being looked at and sized up by opportunists. Be on the alert!
    Any examples please.

horse7 wrote: »
    Any examples please.

What more do you want?

So are there people going door to door,or cars/vans observing houses in the area,have you taken any car reg or called the yards station? Also you probably know there have been some break ins in deer park.

• Advertisement

Not in deer park specifically. But there been people obviously going door to door checking out properties. Often a couple of people working together.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Praetorian22

Hey Guys

Two stories of interest here.

Firstly my friend works in the Roselawn shopping complex. Last week a woman finished up her shopping and returned to her car. Once she sat in the driver seat another woman approached with a map and started to ask directions to such and such and said she wasint from the meanwhile another person not sure if it was a male or female was emptying the drivers boot and the woman was oblivious while she had the map in her face and only realized what happened afterwards.

Secondly this happened to me yesterday and I've heard about it being done down the country. Pulled into the clonsilla petrol station filled the car up with diesel went in and paid and returned to the car. Once I started it up and started to pull away from the pump I noticed a woman at the left hand side of the car, she stared at me and walked in front of me and came around to my drivers window and tapped on it. Now I only put down the window a fingernail inch and I'll explain in a minute why. When I only put the window down a small bit she acted surprised but proceeded to ask me could I help her. I said with what and what was the problem then she went and told a story. She asked me was I local, I said yeah. Told me she was from the west of the country and was up her with her 3 year old daughter visiting her husband in James Connolly hospital. She said her daughter was around the back of the garage in the car and that they did not have any money to pay for petrol could I possibly give her 20 quid. She told me to give her my phone number and she would pay me back in an hour. I said flat no..funny I've heard this story being preached at a few petrol stations and long and behold there was no phone-call after the hour. So I told her I'd to go see my girlfriend and pulled off. While she was talking to me I had one eye on my rear view/wing mirrors to make sure nobody was opening any doors.

I just want to add I am not against people from the travelling community nor do I want to paint them as bad people. But I have heard on two separate occasions that individuals from the travelling community are running this scam at petrol stations to make a handy €20 quid.

Both women from both stories are blonde and mid 30's in age. The woman I encountered had a black bubble jacket on with jeans. Just thought I'd put this up as she'll be at that petrol station again without a doubt.

My next door neighbors caught a guy in her house thismorning about 6 30AM, he son leaves early for work and left the house about 6 15am. Some guy in his 20s then broke in. She heard the banging and went down stairs and caught the guy. The guy then pretended to be drunk or on drugs and left the house. !!

Roll on 9 30 tonight. A car with 3 guys in it was parked in the estate. Out neighbors are all on alert due to the sheer number of break-ins. One neighbor whilst driving past stopped and asked if she could help them. They got overly aggressive and threatened to rape her if she didnt mind her own business.

She called another neighbor who drove around. He parked beside them and turned on the lights. Then then reversed their car blocking him in and then all 3 got out surrounding him. They took a picture of his license plate and threatened to kill his family. All 3 were banging on his car threatening him. So he called the Garda station. They said they would send a car. He was still stuck and couldn't get out so to feel more secure he called the gardai again and had them on speaker. One of them moved and he managed to get the car free and drove away.
    The guys then made a 20 minute walk to the shop bought beer and returned to the car. The Gardai didnt arrive. He then called me and told me what happened. I then called the Gardai, fuming, i might add as we are really trying to avoid somebody getting hurt here.
    Over 2 hours later and 3 phone calls the Gardai arrived. They warned us that we have no right approaching these guys and we should have called the Gardai. To which we responded we called 3 times and the Gardai fail to arrive for a majority of our calls. He then said it was against the law for us to approach people in public to ask them "what they are doing" If they are ok and he threatened to arrest my neighbor for doing something like that.

Whats worse is, they failed to inspect were the incident happened and after they left the 3 guys were still there sitting in the car. :rolleyes:

You know i may come across as a Gardai hater, but the truth of the matter is i a more disappointed in the Gardai then anything. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭dibs101

My next door neighbors caught a guy in her house thismorning about 6 30AM, he son leaves early for work and left the house about 6 15am. Some guy in his 20s then broke in. She heard the banging and went down stairs and caught the guy. The guy then pretended to be drunk or on drugs and left the house. !!

Roll on 9 30 tonight. A car with 3 guys in it was parked in the estate. Out neighbors are all on alert due to the sheer number of break-ins. One neighbor whilst driving past stopped and asked if she could help them. They got overly aggressive and threatened to rape her if she didnt mind her own business.

She called another neighbor who drove around. He parked beside them and turned on the lights. Then then reversed their car blocking him in and then all 3 got out surrounding him. They took a picture of his license plate and threatened to kill his family. All 3 were banging on his car threatening him. So he called the Garda station. They said they would send a car. He was still stuck and couldn't get out so to feel more secure he called the gardai again and had them on speaker. One of them moved and he managed to get the car free and drove away.
    The guys then made a 20 minute walk to the shop bought beer and returned to the car. The Gardai didnt arrive. He then called me and told me what happened. I then called the Gardai, fuming, i might add as we are really trying to avoid somebody getting hurt here.
    Over 2 hours later and 3 phone calls the Gardai arrived. They warned us that we have no right approaching these guys and we should have called the Gardai. To which we responded we called 3 times and the Gardai fail to arrive for a majority of our calls. He then said it was against the law for us to approach people in public to ask them "what they are doing" If they are ok and he threatened to arrest my neighbor for doing something like that.

Whats worse is, they failed to inspect were the incident happened and after they left the 3 guys were still there sitting in the car. :rolleyes:

You know i may come across as a Gardai hater, but the truth of the matter is i a more disappointed in the Gardai then anything. :(

Can you tell us specifically what area this happened in to keep people informed about where they are at risk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Your friend was an idiot for approaching these guys in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭daymobrew

He then said it was against the law for us to approach people in public to ask them "what they are doing" If they are ok and he threatened to arrest my neighbor for doing something like that.

Total BS info and attitude from the Garda. Report that to Superindentent John Quirke in Blanchardstown.

Next time run 999/112 and 'enhance' the story a bit. Those calls get sent directly to Garda cars in the area, bypassing the mood of the person that answers the phone at the station. If a higher priority incident is happening your call with not take a car from there.

Did the neighbour get the reg plate of the car the 3 guys were in?

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭dmm82

Hi where did this happen?

January wrote: »

Believe me its something that we dont want to do, but the break-ins are constant. We have constant people driving into the estate and sitting in cars. Gardai will not respond to guys sitting in cars. They have told us this.
    I wrote before that 2 guys were walking house to house with golf clubs up their sleeves on a Sunday morning. Gardai were called, and they were not going to respond without probably cause. I had 2 guys knock at my door and when i answered they tried to push into the house. I managed to close the door. The Gardai never arrived. They even came back a second time 30 minutes later.
    I have another thread on After Hours after there was a guy on the ground getting his head kicked in, i called the Gardai and filmed the fight . The Gardai never arrived. My neighbor a single mother had 2 guys enter her house at 4 30 AM. She protected her kids and called the Gardai. They arrived 45 minutes later.
    I had a guy smash down my from door back in May. I called the gardai and told them that i had a weapon and i was going to use it on him. They arrived in 5 minutes.

At this moment in time these guys are able to come into the estate and just sit there, wait for you to leave and then break into your house. There is nothing you can do. We went for the longest period without a break-in since we started approaching these guys and saying that we are watching. We dont want to do it, Believe me. Its not nice.

I dont want to give the exact area, but its in and around the Tyrrelstown, Ongar side of things.

daymobrew wrote: »
    Total BS info and attitude from the Garda. Report that to Superindentent John Quirke in Blanchardstown.

Next time run 999/112 and 'enhance' the story a bit. Those calls get sent directly to Garda cars in the area, bypassing the mood of the person that answers the phone at the station. If a higher priority incident is happening your call with not take a car from there.

Did the neighbour get the reg plate of the car the 3 guys were in?

Dont think John Quirk is still there. I think they have a new guy. We gave them the reg plate but they said they cant really do anything with the reg plate as these guys usually buy the car from the scrap dealer and its not registered. Dont know how true that is.

• Advertisement

January wrote: »

Pretty unhelpful post there. Would expect more from a mod to be honest.

Advertisement