Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Police Staff Jobs

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,522 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

ElizaB wrote: »
    there were some lazy FTR, however there is also a large number of very lazy regulars!
    can-of-worms-764812.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭cesc77

Shield wrote: »
    can-of-worms-764812.jpg

Someones lightened up a bit....

Who are you?Who are you?:pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,522 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Get back on topic NOW!

I can't ignore the fact that some good points have been made on this thread! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Fingers crossed nobody mentions the POPT's :D

Delancey wrote: »

The POPTs?

Reserve guys?

• Advertisement

cesc77 wrote: »
    The POPTs?

Reserve guys?

Police Officer Part-Time.

In fairness to the FTR I have heard polar opposite opinions about them , only a couple of weeks ago I met a retired Sergeant who thought them a massive waste of space , time and money.
    On the other hand I have heard good opinions of them and their contribution - I've been told some of them who joined the regulars proved extremely helpful to their classmates in Garnerville for example.

I suspect a lot of it depends on the district/station concerned ?

Police Officer Part-Time.

In fairness to the FTR I have heard polar opposite opinions about them , only a couple of weeks ago I met a retired Sergeant who thought them a massive waste of space , time and money.
    On the other hand I have heard good opinions of them and their contribution - I've been told some of them who joined the regulars proved extremely helpful to their classmates in Garnerville for example.

I suspect a lot of it depends on the district/station concerned ?

Ahh,you didnt have to highlight the initial letters for me:o

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Dietcoke1

I can't say anything bad about the POPT's, they have their place.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭kitchensink

Grafton posted today that the PSNI are going to be recruiting for CSI's in the autumn along with some financial investigators, head of scientific support and a line pilot - if anyone is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 here's hoping

Just wondering if anyone had heard if they were through to the next stage?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 pingu74

Hi, only found this today.
    I am civilian with no prev police experience and have been told by letter that I passed the interview and assessment stage and am now on a list which has been passed to PSNI Recruitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Dr_watson

pingu74 wrote: »
    Hi, only found this today.
    I am civilian with no prev police experience and have been told by letter that I passed the interview and assessment stage and am now on a list which has been passed to PSNI Recruitment.

Im also a civilian with no prev police experience. Had a letter mid october advising that i have passed the interview and assesment and another stating that medical appointment with the PSNI Occupational Help to be scheduled in New Year. My feeling is that training for the role will not take place before the end of the current financial year, but it's only a hunch. No idea how many people in the pool so just have to wait and see.

Delighted to see that finally the Policing Board are asking questions of PSNI management about the practice of re-hiring hundreds of officers who left under Patten.
    What is astonishing is that when asked by the BBC as to how many ex-Police were currently employed by the organisation the PSNI stated they don't know ! - a joke if you ask me.
    It suggests that if anyone did make an FOI request in relation to the number of ex-Police hired for the Investigator roles that they would not get the information as it seems the PSNI do not keep such records !

Obviously the revelation earlier this week that a former ACC ( Acting ) was rehired earlier this year has prompted this new found interest in this strange practice , given that £500 million pounds was spent on Patten severance payments then the taxpayer has every right to ask searching questions of PSNI management.

It has also been suggested that the practice while if not breaching the ' letter ' of Patten is certainly breaching the spirit of the reforms.

Why it has taken so long for questions to be asked is anyone's guess when you consider it has been written about on this forum for well over a year now :rolleyes:

Check out the link - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-15991937

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

Delighted to see that finally the Policing Board are asking questions of PSNI management about the practice of re-hiring hundreds of officers who left under Patten.
    What is astonishing is that when asked by the BBC as to how many ex-Police were currently employed by the organisation the PSNI stated they don't know ! - a joke if you ask me.
    It suggests that if anyone did make an FOI request in relation to the number of ex-Police hired for the Investigator roles that they would not get the information as it seems the PSNI do not keep such records !

Obviously the revelation earlier this week that a former ACC ( Acting ) was rehired earlier this year has prompted this new found interest in this strange practice , given that £500 million pounds was spent on Patten severance payments then the taxpayer has every right to ask searching questions of PSNI management.

It has also been suggested that the practice while if not breaching the ' letter ' of Patten is certainly breaching the spirit of the reforms.

Why it has taken so long for questions to be asked is anyone's guess when you consider it has been written about on this forum for well over a year now :rolleyes:

Check out the link - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-15991937

Tbh I can see the need for some of the retired officers being needed again, as they may have some required experience and skills that the new and younger officer/Detectives might not have. Particularly in dealing with terrorists groups.

What is was surprised at, was the numbers bring rehired. But there you go.

Anyway, it now seems all my efforts at passing all the tests, medicals and vetting will be worthless as there hasn't even been a romour of any more recruitment. I guess they aren't short staffed.....

Gee-22 wrote: »
    Tbh I can see the need for some of the retired officers being needed again, as they may have some required experience and skills that the new and younger officer/Detectives might not have. Particularly in dealing with terrorists groups.

What is was surprised at, was the numbers bring rehired. But there you go.

Anyway, it now seems all my efforts at passing all the tests, medicals and vetting will be worthless as there hasn't even been a romour of any more recruitment. I guess they aren't short staffed.....

While I would agree that there may a need for a small number of retired officers it really seems ridiculous that hundreds have been hired , large numbers being rehired suggests the severance scheme suffered management shortcomings in how it was implemented.

PSNI management will have to justify all this expenditure at at time when they propose to close around 40% of Police Stations citing funding needs.

PSNI have now revealed that three quarters of civilian staff on contract are ex- Police Officers - in excess of 300 are currently employed.
    Interesting that this information is now at hand despite the assertion that such records were not kept :rolleyes:

According to the Deputy Chief Constable there are plans to reduce ( though not eliminate ) the number of these contract employees.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-16600069

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭gigity gigity

Plans to reduce!! What when they all actually reach retirement age!:roll eyes:
    Don't get me wrong I'm sure they have useful skills but there is bound to be some anger about the money the received and the money they are getting now!

They carried an interview today with a former RUC officer who took the Patten package in 2001 ( got £180,000 lump sum plus a pension of £24,000 pa. ).
    He was re-employed as driver by the PSNI 4 years later without even applying for the job much less an interview.
    He told of a Traffic Sergeant who left on a Friday and the following Monday was back working for the Police.
    Jobs for the boys or what !!

Well I'm delighted to say that I have been offered the post and have accepted. I did have my suspicions about this being a job designed for ex police. I am happy to say that these seem to be unfounded as I have no previous experience of working with police or criminal justice. :-)

Dr_watson wrote: »
    Well I'm delighted to say that I have been offered the post and have accepted. I did have my suspicions about this being a job designed for ex police. I am happy to say that these seem to be unfounded as I have no previous experience of working with police or criminal justice. :-)

The experience of 1 individual doesn't really count for much , I remain deeply skeptical of these Investigator roles , I would have hoped that an FOI request would give the whole picture but I suspect such a request would be met with a denial that the PSNI keeps such records.

Perhaps an enterprising member of the Policing Board might table such a question to the Chief Constable ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭kitchensink

Dr Watson, great news about getting one of the posts. I failed at the interview stage. Good luck for the future.

Dr_watson wrote: »
    Don't be surprised if several people on this forum don't believe you are a genuine poster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 arizonahawk

Hi, for those of you who applied for the ASO jobs can anyone actually confirm if they got an offer? I applied for the ASO jobs as well as the NIPS vacancies and got into the merit pool for both. I was told by Grafton that I would remain in the merit pool for one year which is now nearly up and I asked them recently where I was in that pool. I am actually quite high up the list yet have never received any offer of a vacancy. Was this all due to this "jobs for the boys" craic that has been going on? What is the point of all this advertising for people who then have to arrange days off work to get to the assessment centres, maybe even having to pay for childcare to cover the time taken to do it, for a vacancy to never appear? I am really angry about this as people genuinely applied for these jobs in the hope they would get one!

I always suspected this was a ' jobs for the boys ' , worth noting that this week it emerged that almost 25% of RUC Officers who left under Patten were subsequently re-employed by the PSNI.
    I like my co-moderator remain to be convinced as to the bona fides of the 2 individuals who posted here claiming to have no Police background and yet say they were successful in this competition.

I always said it was jobs for the boys and have yet to see evidence that this is not indeed the case.

I am a cynical person by nature but I definitely did smell a rat when I asked for my merit pool number to be told that I was really high up the order yet never received an offer at all. I queried External Appointments via email about how many of the merit pool higher than me had been appointed and how realistic it would be for me to actually get offered a place. I got a reply saying that they were unable to disclose the figures involved and that any future vacancies could not be predicted. So what was the point of it all?? How many of us applied in the hope we would get a job and some security for our homes and bills etc? All a complete farce in my opinion. I heard that the PSNI are considering recruiting part-time staff but that the selection process would be different. How many of you would actually go through all that palava again?! Surely they could just recruit from the merit pool - I am sure I am not the only one sitting anxiously waiting!?

oh aye, how do you thank a post on here? I don't see a thanks option.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 M2010

oh aye, how do you thank a post on here? I don't see a thanks option.

The wee thumbs up symbol that's bottom right of the post.

Thanks M2010 though the only options at the bottom right of the posts when I log on are the quote, multiquote and quick reply buttons.

Well as a Genuine poster I can say that at the end of training for the role there was talk of another intake of Assistant Investigators starting training in January and I would say that these people would be drawn from the existing merit list as there was at least 20 people on the list that didn't get an offer. On my training course there was only 2 people out of 14 that had previous police background. Can't really understand the whole conspiracy theory. Ever think that u didn't get the job because there was someone better than u? Have to go, Elvis just landed in my back garden and were heading out for burgers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement