Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway bus to Dublin Airport?

• 28-02-2012 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭

I need to get a bus to Dublin Airport this weekend. Can anyone recommend the best service? Which one is quicker? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

or
    Gobus

Everyone has their own preference. Citylink is now a tiny bit dearer but they are much of a muchness. I have found gobus *slightly* more on time too, but we are talking 10 mins. Get the one that suits your time closest.
    Mind that citylink has a commuter one too - you want the airport express if you choose them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The real question is where are you going to park your car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

We took the GoBus service to Dublin Airport on Friday.

It was full to the gunwales, and there was a bit of faffing over availability of seats, so I would recommend booking or turning up early.

I couldn't tell you whether it was on time or not, as I wasn't paying attention.

However, I did notice that it went through Dublin City centre first, stopping at Heuston and somewhere on the Quays, whereas I was expecting it to be an express to the airport.

I was told that the Port Tunnel makes it much of a muchness as regards journey time, ie direct to airport versus through the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Goofy

Thanks guys. Ill say ill go with gobus. The time suits best

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    We took the GoBus service to Dublin Airport on Friday.

It was full to the gunwales, and there was a bit of faffing over availability of seats, so I would recommend booking or turning up early.

I couldn't tell you whether it was on time or not, as I wasn't paying attention.

However, I did notice that it went through Dublin City centre first, stopping at Heuston and somewhere on the Quays, whereas I was expecting it to be an express to the airport.

I was told that the Port Tunnel makes it much of a muchness as regards journey time, ie direct to airport versus through the city.

They all go through the city and drop at the Quays first.

During rush hour in the morning and evening it is actually quicker to go through the city and use the tunnel than getting on the M50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Nok1a

Neither city link nor gobus go direct to the airport, both go via Dublin city except the middle of the night buses

I notice gobus have a few 2012 coaches whereas most city links are 4 year old buses so I normally pick gobus. Plus they are an Irish owned company so money stays local

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

+1 for GoBus. Coaches are new and spotless and it's Galway-owned. And Jim Burke that owns the company is a gentleman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Ara Musha

soundbyte wrote: »
    +1 for GoBus. Coaches are new and spotless and it's Galway-owned. And Jim Burke that owns the company is a gentleman.

I concur! I dont go to Dublin often but when I do I always get GoBus. I find the drivers very friendly. The fleet are 2010, 2011 & now a few 2012 buses too, and all have wifi and on board toilet facilities. Makes the journey much more comfortable. Credit to Jim & Co!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Iwannahurl wrote: »

I've gone up three times in the last month or two, and the bus has been totally full each time - a mix of GoBus and CityLink. The last time, CityLink even laid on an extra bus 10 minutes later for the excess.

Both CityLink and Go Bus call in the city first. Bus Eireann's 51x goes to the airport first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Weylin

JustMary wrote: »
    I've gone up three times in the last month or two, and the bus has been totally full each time - a mix of GoBus and CityLink. The last time, CityLink even laid on an extra bus 10 minutes later for the excess.

Both CityLink and Go Bus call in the city first. Bus Eireann's 51x goes to the airport first.
    WRONG,the galway bus eireann bus to dublin airport is the 20x,leaves galway,stops in loughrea,ballinasloe,athlone, then straight up to dublin airport, BEFORE heading into dublin busaras via the port tunnel.
    the return route is the reverse of the above :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

snubbleste wrote: »
    The real question is where are you going to park your car?

Am i the only one completely lost by this post? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,962 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

sentient_6 wrote: »
    I think it was supposed to be in some way smart or funny but by the lack of responses to it im guessing it really went down like a lead balloon.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,539 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Your options are:

Gobus
    Citylink
    Bus Eireann - Route X20

The X20 is the only route that goes directly to the Airport before going through Dublin city centre.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I think it was supposed to be in some way smart or funny but by the lack of responses to it im guessing it really went down like a lead balloon.
    Ah no, I think Goofy asked before where he could park his goofmobile when getting a train or a bus. Wanted to know if it worked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Ara Musha wrote: »
    I concur! I dont go to Dublin often but when I do I always get GoBus. I find the drivers very friendly. The fleet are 2010, 2011 & now a few 2012 buses too, and all have wifi and on board toilet facilities. Makes the journey much more comfortable. Credit to Jim & Co!

And if you use the bus regularly enough they GoBus have a loyalty scheme were you get your 11th journey free. I signed up because I will use the service at least 5/6 times a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

The last few weeks I found myself in the perfect position to do a little unplanned Gobus vs Citylink comparison - I had an insane amount of commuting to do from Galway to Dublin. These trips were all to the City mind, so people with airport experience might like to comment if different.

Basically I ended up needing to do 10 return journeys in a shortish time period - and it happened to work out that it was an even split between Gobus and Citylink.

The journeys were mainly early/day from Galway and evening/night returns from Dublin City.

I prebooked most of the time, but a couple of times I paid on the bus.

Citylink:

Pros:
    SMS ticket confirmation available when you book online (for a fee)**

New Dublin bus stop westbound at Crampton Quay (near Hal'penny Bridge). Often handier for many coming from town, and more foot traffic late night for security (also more drunk people!).

Stuff to note:

Commuter Service - very handy for those who live at the smaller towns en route.

Clifden-Dublin Airport through ticket special is 20 quid. Pretty good deal
    Double Decker coaches sometimes.
    Latest regular (of the two) departure from Galway

Gobus:

Pro:
    Join the travel club online and get 1 free ticket for every 10 you book.
    Latest (regular) departure from Dublin.
    1. Customer Service
    2. Punctuality
    3. Comfort/Cleanliness
    4. wifi
    5. Price
    (see below)

1. Customer service
    I left an item (so I thought - turned out to be in a taxi) on the bus on a day I travelled. Wasn't sure which company as I came up and down in the one day. I emailed both. Gobus got back the next morning, Citylink never replied. It could be subjective, but Gobus drivers seem friendlier too.

Of the journeys. Gobus were on time or ahead 8 out of 10. Less than 5 mins off schedule twice.

Citylink were only on time or ahead twice. Less than 5 mins off schedule 3 times, and more than 15 mins off 5 times!

The loos were poor to average in 5 x Citylinks. Filthy twice and good 3 times.
    Gobus loos - 2 average, 8 very clean.

Wifi always seem to go at certain points, but I had two Citylinks with none at all. 4 poor service, 4 fine. All Gobus had it. 2 poor and 8 fine.

Citylink is now 50 cent more on a single journey. I mentioned you can get a ticket by SMS, for which there is a charge - this is a good option. I usually take a phone photo of my gobus screen or take down the number and have never had a problem.

Overall, Gobus was a hands down winner, and is a locally owned business.
    I will still continue to get Citylink if it is more convenient for schedule, and the double decker buses and alternate routes make it very useful. But if I have a half hour leeway, my preference will always be for Gobus.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭holly8

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Nooooo............ this is a real valid question ... if you have to drive into town to avail of cheap & fast bus service, where do you park? I had to use service a few times in the last few weeks, parking can cost more than the bus ticket. Radisson car parks still do a deal on production of round trip ticket.

Advertisement