Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SimplyElectronics.net Euro Rip off

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Dayglo

THRASHER73 wrote: »
    Some recieved faulty items but are SE to blame for it? I mean if i buy a HTC phone then HTC clearly manufactured it right? do SE carry warranties for their items or wud u have to return faulty items to HTC for eg?

To answer your question: No. If you buy an item from Simply electronics, you buy under THEIR warranty (joke) conditions, not the folks who actually manufacture the goods. My new(?) Tokina lens had a warranty card(?) in it from Simply electronics- not Tokina. The Simply Electronics warranty(?) is not worth the paper its written on. Read the small print on the Simple Electronics site re: returns. Thats where the con is.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭THRASHER73

Thanks Dayglo, thats pretty much all i needed to hear! I figured no matter what happened i could return to HTC if anything wrong etc (ive had great expierience with HTC & repairs btw.. great customer service i have to say)
    But saving €50 aint worth it if SE dont also provide manufacturers warranty.
    Think ill go thru local carphone warehouse instead! thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Dayglo

ur most welcome thrash

The last thing I would want to see is others suffering at the hands of this operation :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 _007

Im with Dayglo on this. They take your credit card details and charge you straight away s month and a half later and bs excuses and I still have nothing to show for it and Visa wont ever investigate until after 3 months!

Save yourselffrom being ripped off

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Big Game

Just came across this as I'd heard some bad feedback on this crowd and my missus had ordered a new Xperia Ray phone off this crowd last week and was a bit concerned. Phone arrived yesterday via DHL a week after it was ordered with no problems. Standard box with Sony Erricsson warranty. Paid via PayPal on her credit card and wasn't asked for any ID or copies of card at all?

The one thing I'll say is that she started getting concerned as she never recieved a confirmation mail after ordering and couldn't trace the order number on their site (she'd saved the order number from the confirmation screen after she paid). However, she mailed the customer services manager (a lady called Vanessa) at an e mail address picked off a thread on another site and had a reply within an hour with a DHL reference as the phone had been sent the previous day. Checked the DHL reference and all was in order and the phone arrived the next day.

Seems to me that if you're prepared to wait a bit longer than some other sites you'll be okay, the prices really are rock bottom tho. Hopefully there's no issues with the phone as it does seem there could be hassle with returns but the service so far has been perfect.

I'd use them again, I'm not a regular poster on here but have some history and have seen a lot of negative posts on the threads from people who only seem to have posted on this issue and nothing else.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

I ordered a Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc S from these on Friday evening. I seen the bad reviews but I also seen the good ones, I decided to take the chance because of the low prices. They told me when ordering that it was a non-eu product and will come with an english manual and a plug adapter.

An American woman rang me today and I had to email them a copy of a bill and my licence. They never asked for a credit card. I blocked some information out and sent it to them.

I'll just see how it goes now and let everyone know. So far I think that are quite good.

dillo2k10 wrote: »
    I ordered a Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc S from these on Friday evening. I seen the bad reviews but I also seen the good ones, I decided to take the chance because of the low prices. They told me when ordering that it was a non-eu product and will come with an english manual and a plug adapter.

An American woman rang me today and I had to email them a copy of a bill and my licence. They never asked for a credit card. I blocked some information out and sent it to them.

I'll just see how it goes now and let everyone know. So far I think that are quite good.

Phone came today. A bit of a wait - exactly 2 weeks. But it was worth the savings :P

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

On 14th October i ordered a Canon 550D from SE using Paypal.
    Ordered on a Thursday evening, on the Friday morning i got an email looking for ID and address proof to match the credit card, i had no issues with this as i have been asked for this info before will buying from River Island online, ASOS online, Karen Millen online etc etc.

Had the camera in my hands the following Thursday 21st October morning following delivery from the UK with DHL. Well happy after saving over €300!

Then in November, i ordered a Canon 50mm F1.8 lens for myself and a nikon D5100 for my mate, but this order took 12 days to deliver, but we had constant updates through the order status in my account on the SE website and the company blaming extremely busy orders for the Nikon on longer delivery times, which makes sense as it was 549 from them and nearly 900 in stores here!

Overall, very happy, and will buy from again.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭bigjoe

Be careful there are a lot of horror stories about them. I know 2 to be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭bigjohn66

From their website

Product Warranties

All our products come with a 12 months in house warranty, where our in-house facilities are able to process all returns for a quick and efficient all round service. Within 30 days starting the day after receipt of goods, if your goods are faulty we will offer a prompt replacement of the relevant components or if you prefer a full refund. This does not apply to faults caused by accident, neglect or misuse. We must be notified of the fault within 30 days starting the day after receipt of goods and proof of purchase MUST be provided. If your purchase develops a fault after 30 days and within its 12 month guarantee we will arrange to repair and return the product to you free of charge. We are unable to offer a refund after more than 30 days of receipt of purchase. Please note it may take up to 28 working days or longer for repairs to be undertaken, depending on the manufacturer and complexity of the problem (e.g. availability of required parts).

Do not be fooled by the warranty paperwork you get with products bought from SE. If you have a problem with an item just try get it repaired by the manufacturer and you might just hit a brick wall. I did. The company redirected me back to SE and the above on their website. Your warranty is with SE not the manufacturer even though you get what looks like a warranty card when you receive your item it is not worth the paper it is written on. I asked why they won’t repair the product and they told me “to contact SE as they don’t recognize the product and that is all we have to say on the matter.” I than sent it back to SE who told me I broke the lens and they would not repair it or refund me.

They seem to have a lot more faulty than other suppliers and has been suggested all over the net some of their products are not the genuine article.

My advice is stay well away from them if your product works than fine but if you have any trouble (and they have more than their fare share of it) with a product it will cost you.

The last thing I will say is you are dealing Hong Kong company not a UK company so you are not protected by any EU laws.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

PCPhoto wrote: »
    did you happen to do some research on the reputation of the company when you saw your "Bargain" price ?

I bought a camera from them last year. My bank rang me the next day to advise me against buying from them and cancelled the transaction

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭dueyfinster

I have bought two items. First item (€400)- arrived within a week approx. It has a US plug, but came with an adaptor.

Second item (€550) I am still waiting on, this is the 8th working day and I emailed them Monday, 48hrs later I get an email tell me it's packing and the status changes. Got through after about 5 attempts and waiting 40-50 minutes in total on Monday.

I read the bad reviews, always ordered with a CC to be safe. When the first item arrived and I could even register it in the EU for warranty, I thought second order no problems. I think they bulk ship orders when they can fill pallets from Hong Kong to a UK destination and then onwards from their.

Fingers x the second item will arrive !

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Bigjez

I ordered my lens before Christmas. A 70-300mm Nikon lens. Again as my previous posts on page 6 I got it approx 8 days later. No problems or damage. Again if you are going to order I would suggest using PayPal. As for warranty that does seem to be a grey area. Sometimes your better off getting things fixed yourself. I tried to claim off a warranty once when my Xbox was 14 months old an was told it was out of warranty. It was going to cost over €100 to fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭cbyrne11

kceire wrote: »
    Ordered on a Thursday evening, on the Friday morning i got an email looking for ID and address proof to match the credit card, i had no issues with this as i have been asked for this info before will buying from River Island online, ASOS online, Karen Millen online etc etc.

Had the camera in my hands the following Thursday 21st October morning following delivery from the UK with DHL. Well happy after saving over €300!

Then in November, i ordered a Canon 50mm F1.8 lens for myself and a nikon D5100 for my mate, but this order took 12 days to deliver, but we had constant updates through the order status in my account on the SE website and the company blaming extremely busy orders for the Nikon on longer delivery times, which makes sense as it was 549 from them and nearly 900 in stores here!

Sorry to bump a kinda old thread but I just ordered off this crowd had done some research and it seemed most complaints (On trust pilots) were about items being about a week late, wouldn't really bother me.

But now I'm wondering what this proof of address rubbish is? I wouldn't really object except that I used my verified paypal account so can't see why they would need any other proof, did you just use a card or paypal?

Note: They haven't asked yet but I see they have asked a good few people!

cbyrne11 wrote: »

Sorry to bump a kinda old thread but I just ordered off this crowd had done some research and it seemed most complaints (On trust pilots) were about items being about a week late, wouldn't really bother me.

But now I'm wondering what this proof of address rubbish is? I wouldn't really object except that I used my verified paypal account so can't see why they would need any other proof, did you just use a card or paypal?

Many places ask for it because if it ends up that a stolen credit card was used then it's the retailer who looses out, I just paid with credit card and was asked for it, I did blank out some info just incase though

cbyrne11 wrote: »

Many places ask for it because if it ends up that a stolen credit card was used then it's the retailer who looses out, I just paid with credit card and was asked for it, I did blank out some info just incase though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

dillo2k10 wrote: »

Why ask for it when the item is going to the same address as the credit card?
    Why have a fake Verified by Visa sign on their website? (if i remember correctly you cant click it and enter you VbV password)
    doesnt stack up.
    Glad to hear some people are happy with them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Edg3

I have bought all my camera equipment off simply electronics for the last 2 years and I've had no issues with them. They've been very good, sending me receipts when I have lost mine for when I have warranty issues.
    They take some time to ship out but I get the feeling they dont keep the items in stock and order them in when you make your order.
    Sites like this dont always update their prices when the pound/euro changes. Like Argos.

Edg3 wrote: »
    I have bought all my camera equipment off simply electronics for the last 2 years and I've had no issues with them. They've been very good, sending me receipts when I have lost mine for when I have warranty issues.
    They take some time to ship out but I get the feeling they dont keep the items in stock and order them in when you make your order.
    Sites like this dont always update their prices when the pound/euro changes. Like Argos.

I would be very interested in your response.

Why did you have to get a copy of a receipt from them for warranty? If you had a problem with a product it is not covered by a manufacture warranty it is covered by Simply Electronics warranty only, so the product had to go back to them.

I would also like to hear how that went as anyone I have ever spoken to about them repairing products have had a problem so it would be nice to hear a positive response for a change.

You say you get a feeling they don’t stock. I don’t have a problem in them not stocking products but why lie from the very beginning of a transaction by saying they have it in stock when they don’t? People would have no complaints if they were told something would be 3 weeks and it arrived in 3 weeks. Then people could make up their minds if they were willing to wait or not. Not be told it is in stock and will be shipped within 2 days but 2 weeks later it still has not been shipped.

Like i said its only a feeling as it often takes a week for them to go out. Possibly keeps their stock in a separate warehouse or something, like i said, just speculation. I never have to wait more then a week and a half before the parcel is at my door.

As for the warranty, I bought a Canon 550D off them November 2010, during summer 2011 one of the buttons on the back stopped working, I'd since lost my receipt and emailed them for a copy so i could get it repaired in Dublin. I was also selling a lens about a month ago that was still under warranty and I didnt have the receipt, again (im terrible at keeping these) so i emailed them to send me another one, but a gift one with no price on it. They replied within 24hours with a PDF file.

I've had no issues with them. They've never told me how long it'd be til the item arrived but i can order on a sunday night and have it by the following wednesday.

I honestly have never had a single problem with them (other then their website crashing my firefox now and then) and i dont know why people have had such negative feedback.
    I've made about, 8-10 transactions with them in the last 2 years with no problem and i'd give them a 5star rating and often tell people in college about them if their looking for equipment.
    I've no financial connection to them either before someone says I'm working for them and I gain nothing by saying how good i've found them.
    The delay between ordering and shipping is annoying BUT, i've bought off amazon while they've had items in stock and have had to wait 3 weeks before they've arrived. (2 filter kits and some UV filters took 2 and a half weeks to arrive even though they had 100+ in stock)

Ive also had an A+ experience with cancelling and returns of damaged goods.
    I received a 50mm 1.8 canon i bought and the box it was packaged in arrive in bits, the delivery companies fault, the lens was damaged and i returned the item (registered post) a couple days later after informing them. They promptly refunded my money, i had it within 5days and also refunded me the cost of the parcel (at the time was around 12euro i think) the next item I ordered arrived with a completely different delivery company then before.
    I have nothing but praise for them.

On the topic of credit card verification, wouldnt you rather them check to be sure that its actually the real owner or have them sending out parcels willynilly while your being charge for it? They verified my address and cc once when i started my account and i never heard of it again. At the end of the day if they ship an item and it turns out to be from a stolen credit card they loss the product and the cash so its in their best interest.

Ill admit companies can be a pain and im not saying simply electronics is perfect, but from my personal and repeated experience, they've been nothing but helpful and decent. The prices are often ALOT better then amazon (not always but often) and a hell of alot cheaper then the shops. My 70-200mm Sigma was half the price it was in any of the camera shops in Dublin, HALF! My 50mm was 30euro cheaper then dublin and my camera was 300euro cheaper. I'll support irish shops when they start giving me a reason to. I got the same warranty and even a 3year warranty with simply electronics with my camera, and i doubt i'll have to use it, but its nice to have it.

One last thing, you can cancel at any stage til the item is shipped and their customer service is bang on i've never had to wait more then 30 minutes online or 12hours after sending an email to cancel, so if you think its taking to long its easy to cancel an order.

• Advertisement

As for the warranty, I bought a Canon 550D off them November 2010, during summer 2011 one of the buttons on the back stopped working, I'd since lost my receipt and emailed them for a copy so i could get it repaired in Dublin.

Maybe I didn’t make myself clear. What I would like to know is where in Dublin you got the camera fixed under warranty.

The reasons I ask are, SE state your warranty is with them and from personal experiences of friends of mine, Canon, Nikon, Sigma and Apple don’t repair products bought from SE under warranty. I would be interested as I personally use Canon and have been told Canon don’t repair SI products.

If you bought the warranty with Simply Electronics then it is with them, obviously, I got mine repaired with some company in Dublin, out near Stephens Green, I forget the name now.

If you bought the warranty with Simply Electronics then it is with them, obviously, I got mine repaired with some company in Dublin, out near Stephens Green, I forget the name now.

You still don’t get what I am saying. I did not buy a warranty from Simply Electronics.

The only warranty offered on products bought from SE is an in house one, where you have to return the product to them. It clearly states that on their website. You do not have a manufactures warranty. You might get warranty paperwork in the box, this would be as a standard leaving the factory but it is not valid.

Maybe you could find out where, because I would be interested as to where that place near Stephens Green is. Maybe someone else can help find out who repairs Canon for Simply Electronics near there because I know Canon don’t. Did Simple Electronics send you to them?

Please try to remember who they are.

If you were a little clearer then maybe I would have understood sooner.

I didnt buy my warranty off them either, but depending on what you bought, as long as you have the receipt, and as long as it is still under the manufacturers warranty (2 years i think with canon i might be wrong) you can bring it to any licensed Canon repair company and they will send it off for repairs, usually taking about 2 weeks (mine was only a week away)
    I spoke to customer service at Simply Electronics and they told me i'd have to return it, I asked would it be possible to get it repaired myself under the warranty if i could find a licensed repair company, they said yes no problem, BUT that it'd be cheaper to return it to them and have them fix it for me, saying that it might cost for me to have it sent to a repairs company as they did not know of any in ireland (english company of course they didnt).

I found Image Supply Systems just off Camdon Row (i couldnt remember the name of the street just knew it was near stephens green)

Address is 6A Liberty Lane, Camden Row, Dublin 8. Easy enough to google it and theres even a boards.ie topic on this very subject. They serviced it for free long as i produced the receipt. And you always have a manufacturers warranty long as your willing to return it yourself. All they do is send it off to the same company you could bring it into.

I never heard of this non-valid paperwork before to be honest and i'd no issues getting my camera sent off for repairs at all, just finding the place was a bit tough because the door is down an alley way that i never even noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 bogmonster

I ordered a motorola defy+ phone off SE on the 2nd of january and am still waiting for it.. Despite several frustrating phone calls (including being on hold for an hour and a half) and numerous emails i still cant get a date off them as to when it will even be dispatched. I'm beginning to get the feeling i've been done......:mad:

bogmonster wrote: »
    I ordered a motorola defy+ phone off SE on the 2nd of january and am still waiting for it.. Despite several frustrating phone calls (including being on hold for an hour and a half) and numerous emails i still cant get a date off them as to when it will even be dispatched. I'm beginning to get the feeling i've been done......:mad:

Just cancel it?
    Ive never bought a phone off them so no idea what your problem might be. So weird i've had no issues ever with them. Never actually had to call them.
    I have to say though, over a month is far to long to be waiting! Maybe it got lost in the New Years rush? I'd the same problem with dabs a while back, took them a month to get it to me because of an incomplete address label, and when I emailed noone had it, dabs or the post, no one knew who had it. They blamed the new years sales and rush...

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭hunglikeaflee

I didnt buy my warranty off them either, but depending on what you bought, as long as you have the receipt, and as long as it is still under the manufacturers warranty (2 years i think with canon i might be wrong) you can bring it to any licensed Canon repair company and they will send it off for repairs, usually taking about 2 weeks (mine was only a week away)
    I spoke to customer service at Simply Electronics and they told me i'd have to return it, I asked would it be possible to get it repaired myself under the warranty if i could find a licensed repair company, they said yes no problem, BUT that it'd be cheaper to return it to them and have them fix it for me, saying that it might cost for me to have it sent to a repairs company as they did not know of any in ireland (english company of course they didnt).

I found Image Supply Systems just off Camdon Row (i couldnt remember the name of the street just knew it was near stephens green)

Address is 6A Liberty Lane, Camden Row, Dublin 8. Easy enough to google it and theres even a boards.ie topic on this very subject. They serviced it for free long as i produced the receipt. And you always have a manufacturers warranty long as your willing to return it yourself. All they do is send it off to the same company you could bring it into.

I never heard of this non-valid paperwork before to be honest and i'd no issues getting my camera sent off for repairs at all, just finding the place was a bit tough because the door is down an alley way that i never even noticed.

Long time watcher first time poster but I feel I need to warn people about some of the pitfall of dealing with Simply Electronics.

I won’t go into my problems in full but let me say you were very lucky to get your camera repaired under warranty. I take it the problem with yours was small enough for them not to question it and just do the work in good faith.

I had a problem with a Canon 7D and a Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 bought from Simple Electronics. Canon or Sigma would not stand over the products as they were Japanese products and not covered by European warranty. When I contacted Simply Electronics they directed me to their site where it says “All our products come with a 12 months in house warranty” So no Canon wont repair your product is as blunt as it was put to me.

The camera issue was sorted and I had to pay for it myself as Simple Electronics told me it would be at least a month with them (reading others experiences this would be more like 3 months) and I didn’t want to be that long without it as I was going on holidays.

As for the lens I sent it back to Simple Electronics and after 3 months they told me I broke it but they would offer me half my money back. First I did not break it and second if I broke it why offer anything?

I know plenty of people in my camera club that have bought from Simple Electronics and have had no problem except for late delivery. The thing is if a product dose go faulty than the trouble starts.

First let me say I think you were very lucky to get the Camera fixed. I know ISS and the people there are great and will go out of their way to help anyone.

Sorry I still don’t know how you could not understand what I said. What I said was.
    bigjohn66 wrote: »
    SE state your warranty is with them

I never mentioned buying a warranty from they, you said that. They make this statement on their website.

I don’t know where you got this information from but that is not the case. The products that Simply Electronics sell are not covered in Europe, Canon only repair products that were distant for the European market and Simply Electronics products are Japanese. I have had problems on this front.

This is taken from a letter from Canon regarding Warranty and EWS (European Warranty Systems)

“The reason to why there are no World Wide Warranty on our products are mainly because the model's differ between Asia/America and Europe, and it is not possible to repair all products in all areas. The differences can be depending on different security classification or other certifications. Other differences can be different TV-systems (i.e. Pal, NTSC) or differences in electrical specifications (i.e.. 110V, 220V/50hz) etc.
    There are of course exceptions, Canon Europe will repair all EF-lenses and Analog-cameras under World Wide Warranty.”

I think this points out Canon’s stance on the mater; they could not be more clear or definite.

I would not use SE and I would never recommend anyone should. If the product works you have no worries and probably got a good deal. If on the other hand you product goes faulty you could be in trouble and regret it. After reading what Edg3 has to say maybe not always but it is the exception.

As for the lens I sent it back to Simple Electronics and after 3 months they told me I broke it but they would offer me half my money back. First I did not break it and second if I broke it why offer anything?

Rings a bell, same type of lens too, makes you wonder could it be the same lens?
    See my post #47 here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055582067&page=2

• Advertisement

I got my information from MY experience. My camera is registered here in Europe and covered by the warranty. I spoke directly to Canon who actually told me to go to another company in Dublin, but they told me when i contacted them that unless I was a business/professional they couldnt do anything for me which is fine.

Overall this is an issue you will have with buying online, inhouse repairs especially can be a long and tedious problem, one ive had many times!

Advertisement