Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporary Clerical Positions in the Public Service

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

EdenHazard wrote: »
    I applied, what kind of stuff would you do in this job?

Clerical Work, dealing with queries, filing etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Broads.ie

Why bother quoteing it when its allready been said??!

Yes this could go on... I only responded to point out the not so obvious apparently!

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭culsoh

I've just submitted my application.

I read the Information Booklet - your only allowed to chose one location from List A and B.
    Unfortuntely none of the locations on List B are anywhere near me... so I'm left with chosing one location from List A - which won't be easy as I live on the border of Cavan, Monaghan, Meath and Louth..

This may be a cheeky question, but does anyone know where I'd be better off selecting as my location in Stage B??

Just after being made redundant and getting married in September so I'm really really hoping I get something from this - I just wanna try and get the best possible chance by choosing a county where theres actual vacancies... Anyone know??? Or Know how I'd find out??

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Atlantis50

culsoh wrote: »
    I've just submitted my application.

I read the Information Booklet - your only allowed to chose one location from List A and B.
    Unfortuntely none of the locations on List B are anywhere near me... so I'm left with chosing one location from List A - which won't be easy as I live on the border of Cavan, Monaghan, Meath and Louth..

This may be a cheeky question, but does anyone know where I'd be better off selecting as my location in Stage B??

Just after being made redundant and getting married in September so I'm really really hoping I get something from this - I just wanna try and get the best possible chance by choosing a county where theres actual vacancies... Anyone know??? Or Know how I'd find out??
    Whichever town listed has the most civil servants will likely be the one with most vacancies.

So the question is how do you find out which town employs the most civil servants?

Best way I can think of is looking at the governments info on decentralisation:

http://www.decentralisation.gov.ie/DecProjectstobeleftinsituoradvanced.html
    http://www.decentralisation.gov.ie/Documents/BD_OriginalGovtAnnouncementBudget2004.html

Decentralisation plans proceeding (numbers from 2nd link – 2004 Govt announcement):

Buncrana: 120 jobs in Dept. of Social Protection.
    Gweedore: 30 jobs in Foras Na Gaeilge.
    Listowel: 50 jobs with the Revenue.

No information on the others.

Of course, there are also other civil service jobs in those locations unrelated to decentralisation but there doesn’t appear to be any way to determine numbers for those.

Bottom line: Pick Buncrana!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭cena

Why do they ask for you pps number. Is it for them to find out if some one has been on the dole or what not for a long time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,650 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

cena wrote: »
    Why do they ask for you pps number. Is it for them to find out if some one has been on the dole or what not for a long time

I don't believe so.

Like any employer, the government has to tax its staff.

Many bit employers collect PPS at job-application time, 'cos then they are 100% certain they've got it later when they need it. This also filters out people who don't have one.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

cena wrote: »

The PPS Number is currently captured at registration stage on publicjobs.ie. This assists in the identification and verification of applicants at various stages of the selection process and is used to identify duplicate applicants.
    http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Topics/PPSN/Pages/rou.aspx#pas

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Monkey09

I applied for this a few days ago but I didn't get any kind of acknowledgement through my email. On publicjobs.ie, it says that my application has been submitted so I'm hoping I didn't miss out on anything...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Monkey09 wrote: »
    I applied for this a few days ago but I didn't get any kind of acknowledgement through my email. On publicjobs.ie, it says that my
    application has been submitted so I'm hoping I didn't miss out on anything...:confused:

Check your spam , sometimes mail goes in there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭theparish

I applied for this a few days ago but I didn't get any kind of acknowledgement through my email. On publicjobs.ie, it says that my application has been submitted so I'm hoping I didn't miss out on anything...:confused:

I am in the same boat,I have not yet received an e-mail with the skills and experience questionnaire and my account reads submitted.It states in the handbook to ring a certain phone no. if there is no e-mail by next Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

Just wondering if anyone on here was a TCO in Cork last year and if so where were you placed? I'm curious to see what departments hire

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Barnet

I applied yesterday, no acknowledgement email received as yet, nothing in spam. Application states 'submitted', if no email received by friday I'll give them a ring.

theparish wrote: »

I am in the same boat,I have not yet received an e-mail with the skills and experience questionnaire and my account reads submitted.It states in the handbook to ring a certain phone no. if there is no e-mail by next Friday.

I don't think anyone has received the questionnaire as of yet. The info said that it would be sent out after the deadline . No panic yet . As long as we get it before Friday.

The deadline has been extended for this until 12 midnight for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭sjms

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    The deadline has been extended for this until 12 midnight for some reason.

very quick campaign to be honest. I was working in the Dept of Social Protection last year. Must say it is a great temporary job! Applied again! Make sure you are consistent in answering the questionnaire! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭V480

sjms wrote: »
    very quick campaign to be honest. I was working in the Dept of Social Protection last year. Must say it is a great temporary job! Applied again! Make sure you are consistent in answering the questionnaire! :D

What do you mean by consistant?!

Which of the practice questionnaires on the website is relevant for the TCO position ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 kmag16

I applied last year and got the job and was also working in the Department of Social Protection. Really enjoyed it there I must say and it's a perfect job for the summer whilst in college. Also applied again this year, and I got a confirmation email that read as follows;

Dear _____,

You have successfully submitted your application for the position of Temporary Clerical Positions in the Public Service

Thank you,
    Public Appointments Service

Then I updated my application and got another email saying my updated application was submitted properly.

For the people who didn't get a confirmation email of their submitted application, is this the first year you are applying? Before I applied this time I update my profile from last year when I applied first, so maybe the conformation email takes longer to arrive if you've just created a profile for this campaign? I don't know, just a thought.

Still haven't got the email about the questionnaire yet though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Manco

Applied for it, good luck everyone. Curious about the TCO in Galway if anyone has any experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭sjms

V480 wrote: »
    What do you mean by consistant?!

the questions they ask in the questionnaire seem to crop up again and again. just make sure that you reply with the same answer. :)

• Advertisement

Can you tell us a sample question please sjms ?:):) Just an idea of what the questions are like .

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    Can you tell us a sample question please sjms ?:):) Just an idea of what the questions are like .

Last years questionnaire was full of pages of questions with, on a scale of one to five "do you enjoy teamwork?", "do you enjoy working alone?", "do you mind repetitive work?", "do you feel comfortable working with computers?"

All questions like that, nowhere did it ask for your work experience or actual qualifications. Maybe this year they will have something different lined up.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Monkey09

Its been a few days since I submitted my application and I still do not have an acknowledgement email. Getting kind of worried at this stage! :(

I know the competition has been extended to midnight tonight so should I wait untill tommorrow to ring them, just to confirm that they have received my application.

Does anyone have the number which I should ring by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Red_Star

Hey Monkey09 -On the Information booklet it gives these numbers ,hope that helps:
    Helpdesk Contact Numbers:
    01 858 7858
    01 858 7684
    01 858 7400

Also has anyone gotten the email for the online questionnaire yet ? I got the confirmation of application but nothing yet on the questionnaire and it stats the deadline for completion is
    5.00pm Tuesday 28th February 2012 ....

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭frisbeeface

Red_Star wrote: »
    Hey Monkey09 -On the Information booklet it gives these numbers ,hope that helps:
    Helpdesk Contact Numbers:
    01 858 7858
    01 858 7684
    01 858 7400

Also has anyone gotten the email for the online questionnaire yet ? I got the confirmation of application but nothing yet on the questionnaire and it stats the deadline for completion is
    5.00pm Tuesday 28th February 2012 ....

I got an email with a link to the questionnaire this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Red_Star

Thanks for letting me know Frisbeeface , hopefully I'll get one at some stage today. Best of luck :)

Have not got mine yet either . Fingers crossed I get it today too!
    Thank you Mayo Miss :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Got my Questionairre thing this morning aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Heady Glamor

I just got the Questionairre today at lunchtime too.Hope I havent ruled myself out by clicking yes for "Do you have a holiday booked between April and September"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

I just got the Questionairre today at lunchtime too.Hope I havent ruled myself out by clicking yes for "Do you a holiday booked between April and September"

I doubt it, as you have 7 days leave with a TCO contract, I had holidays (for 3 days) booked last year and it was no problem.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement