Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

civil ceremony ideas - readings etc

• 25-06-2009 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

hello,

we are having a civil ceremony in a couple of months. it will take place in the hotel we are having the reception in. I know you can add your own readings, and i'm not 100% sure but think you can write your own vows.

Just wondering if anyone can suggest some nice poems/readings.

And if you have any ideas to add a little something to the ceremony so it doesn't feel too boring and formal, I'd love to hear your ideas or what you did for your ceremonies.

thanks for your help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭MariMel

We are having a civil ceremony in an Hotel in a few months time and our registrar gave us a book of readings and poems to have a look through.
    If i can find the name of it I will PM you.
    A quick search for poems, civil ceremony on google brings up some nice ones too.

She also suggested that our mothers light our individual candles and at the end we light the big one ourselves. She said that instead of cutting our songs short that we play them through if we wanted to.

We are allowed write our own vows too once there is no mention of anything religious.

some registrars dont allow the bride to walk down the 'aisle' and prefer the bride to be in the room before they start. The only thing i was missing from not having a church wedding was having my father do that....and i was so happy to find out we can. If we have anything else we wanted added in, we have to let her know a week or two in advance and a day or two beforehand with the names of our readers and mothers.

I am looking forward to being able to make our ceremony so personal, and be able to include memebers of our families into the ceremony.

Good luck and enjoy......

off to find where in the piles of wedding things is my poem book...:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭bensoneb

Hiya,

I found some nice readings on the internet. We had one specifically about marriage called 'Blessing for a Marriage by James Dillet Freeman', sounds religious but it's not. We then had one called 'Friendship by Judy Bielicki' which paid tributes to the people closest to us as well as the message that we are friends as well as everything else.

Hope that helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

UNTITLED
    Below is the reading we are having at our civil ceremony. My mum is going to give it. I am not sure of the origin but have heard that it is an old american indian passage.

~ Author Unknown ~

Treat yourselves and each other with respect, and remind yourselves often of what brought you together.
    Give the highest priority to the tenderness, gentleness and kindness that your connection deserves.
    When frustration, difficulty and fear assail your relationship - as they threaten all relationships at one time or another - remember to focus on what is right between you, not only the part which seems wrong.
    In this way, you can ride out the storms when clouds hide the face of the sun in your lives - remembering that even if you lose sight of it for a moment, the sun is still there.
    And if each of you takes responsibility for the quality of your life together, it will be marked by abundance and delight.

Advertisement