Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS 6 Megathread - All iOS 6 discussion goes here

• 18-09-2012 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭mrpants

Just a short one lads. I'm kinda excited about download iOS 6 on my 4s. I know it's to be released tomorrow but anybody know what time in Ireland the update will be available?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭jakdublin

Funny, I just logged on to ask the same question.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭mrpants

jakdublin wrote: »
    Funny, I just logged on to ask the same question.

How sad are we? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

6pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭jakdublin

mrpants wrote: »
    How sad are we? :-)

Very :D

Actually looking forward more to this than I was the iPhone 5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

It'll take forever to download for the first couple of days with everyone updating.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

It is good to get a few changes. Maybe people with a 4S will appreciate it a bit more with Siri updates and the panoramic camera etc (I think thats on the 4S) but people on the 4 wont notice much difference. Ive had it for about 2 months now (on iPhone 4). Nothing major at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭mrpants

naasrd wrote: »
    6pm.

That sucks but at least I'll be home. It'll be a nice change. Thanks folks

Remember IOS 5? Mayhem.

I think it was so bad because iMessage and that was coming. Everyone wanted to have it. Will people be falling over themselves to get IOS6?

I already regret upgrading & losing Google Maps. That may put others off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

jakdublin wrote: »
    Very :D

Actually looking forward more to this than I was the iPhone 5

The Gold Master version is out now if you don't want to wait until tomorrow. Normally identical to official release.

I think my favourite new feature is Do not disturb.

Interesting points being made here as to what we'll gain and lose. I'm a big fan of Sparow Mail. Unfortunately it doesn't have Push and the fix is only via Cydia, so unless Mail has some big improvements I may hold off. I use Siri a lot for texts, calendar and calls so it'll be interesting to see if there's any localisation in ios6.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Polar wizard adventure

Will be waiting for the Google Maps App. Not going to risk the new apple maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

It's nothing to look forward too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭DubDJ

iOS 5 was actually release before 6pm. So we'll have it earlier in the day. It would be nice if they released it tonight but I doubt it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Mr.S wrote: »
    Going to hold out until Google release Maps via the app store me thinks.

Agreed. The Apple maps will suck outside of America

• Registered Users Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Agreed. The Apple maps will suck outside of America

Understand why Apple are dropping Google maps but you'd imagine they wouldn't dump it until their own product is perfected?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

3D flyover is a nice gimmick but that's all it is. In practical terms it's as useful as tits on a bull. Street view is where it's at.

kaizersoze wrote: »
    3D flyover is a nice gimmick but that's all it is. In practical terms it's as useful as tits on a bull. Street view is where it's at.

That WILL only work in the US

• Registered Users Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

That WILL only work in the US

Not true, I've seen London version of it (on BBC video about iPhone 5) and also a Dublin version of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

Not au fait with the updates as i've only had the 4s a short while.
    I have google maps on it so am i right in saying I couldn't have ios 5?
    And if I upgrade to 6 I'll lose google maps?

Feck that, google maps worth a whole lot more to me than panorama pics.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Not true, I've seen London version of it (on BBC video about iPhone 5) and also a Dublin version of it.

Eh you may be right - I thought I saw a story somwhere saying it would only be US cities on release but maybe I imagined it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Yeah in a different thread somebody posted pics of Dublin in Flyover. It is available for a small part of Dublin.

DubDJ wrote: »
    Yeah in a different thread somebody posted pics of Dublin in Flyover. It is available for a small part of Dublin.

I'm guessing it wasn't Ballyfermot ?

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭crapmanjoe

Until google release an app you can just use the web page browser and then add a book mark to the home page. Not perfect but will do ...

I'm guessing it wasn't Ballyfermot ?

Wrong actually. Try again?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

This is the first iOS update that I won't be downloading. Both my ipad 2 and iphone 4 are jailbroken on 5.1.1 and I dont want to switch over to a crap map service.

There's nothing mad appealing on iOS6 to push me to updated.

That being said, my iphone 5 (if i upgrade) will be iOS6 but I use a second phone for my travel sims so will keep iphone 4 as it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 plaguemarine 11

M three wrote: »
    Not au fait with the updates as i've only had the 4s a short while.
    I have google maps on it so am i right in saying I couldn't have ios 5?
    And if I upgrade to 6 I'll lose google maps?

Feck that, google maps worth a whole lot more to me than panorama pics.

You will find that if you don't upgrade to ios6 that newer apps that require it won't run lots of games won't run on anything before ios5 . I can't see how it's a big deal to download Google maps from the app store for free and use that . The YouTube app is going too but the one from the store is already available and is actually better !

Do the update and just get the newer better apps from the store after . I am currently running iOS6 and it's grand .

The Apple 3D Flyover thing works fine in Dublin, but only between the canals I find. Anything outside of that is a no go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

I wish I did! Apple maps couldn't find Rialto yesterday!

Had to resort to using, ugh, my satnav!

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭PGL

I can't see how it's a big deal to download Google maps from the app store for free and use that .
    Do the update and just get the newer better apps from the store after . I am currently running iOS6 and it's grand .

Isn't it the nub of the issue that the Google Maps App is not available to download yet? Hence if you update to ios6 you will lose it until it is available in the app store?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,470 ✭✭✭✭guil

Squ wrote: »
    I wish I did! Apple maps couldn't find Rialto yesterday!

Had to resort to using, ugh, my satnav!
    just restore the phone to get iOS 5 back. Do it before the update is released later though

Advertisement