Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turntable spinning when record finishes.

• 02-02-2012 7:00pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭

Recently I bought a Trevi retro style record player.Normally when playing a record the turntable dosent start spinning until you lift the tone arm towards the platter.However all of a sudden when i switch it on now the platter automaticly starts spinning and it continues to spin when the record finishes where as before it would automaticly stop along with the record.I dident change any settings on it and don't know why its doing this.The instruction booklet is quite confusing and has something ,clearly written by someone whose first language is not English,about setting the function button to on and off.Has anyone else got this particular model and experienced this.Also is it harmfull for the record to keep spinning when it finishes?It results in a kind of screeching sound and I have to turn the pnonogram function off to stop it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭andy1249

Those Trevi's have a feature whereby the auto function can be turned on or off , if you post the specific model you would probably get an answer on how to do this.

Incidentally , on higher end turntables , auto start and stop is sometimes excluded by design , as the motors and sensors used to do this can significantly affect the sound quality.

This is probably why , though I dont think anyone would call that deck high end , that that feature is there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

andy1249 wrote: »
    Those Trevi's have a feature whereby the auto function can be turned on or off , if you post the specific model you would probably get an answer on how to do this.

Incidentally , on higher end turntables , auto start and stop is sometimes excluded by design , as the motors and sensors used to do this can significantly affect the sound quality.

This is probably why , though I dont think anyone would call that deck high end , that that feature is there.
    The number on the box is tt1064e.If someone has the same model I'd be gratefull for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

The manual says:
    As some kind of record the auto - stop area was out of the unit setting, so it will stop before the last
    track finish. In the case, set the “AUTO - STOP” selector to “OFF” mode, then it will run to the end of
    the record but will not stop automatically. ( Set the “FUNCTION” selector to “OFF” mode or set the
    “AUTO - STOP” selector to “ON” mode to stop the playback. ) Put back the tone arm to the rest.

But I don't see any button marked specifically "AUTO-STOP". Some turntables had a function whereby pulling the arm slightly to the right of the rest position engaged an auto stop action which enabled/disabled the microswitch operated by the tone arms position. In the absence of an actual "AUTO-STOP" switch perhaps you could try that ?

By the way, I've seen worse manuals ;)

Ken

Edit: You could also try looking under the platter cover ? Usually there's a rubber mat covering the platter, try lifting it and see if there's a switch under it ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Mystery solved.I've noticed for the first time a small on/off switch at the back ,it must have been flipped by accident when I was moving the stereo.I can't imagine how I missed that before.Thanks to all for your help ,advice.

Advertisement