Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PPL in Florida-Total cost

• 04-12-2011 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭

Hi all,

Seriously considering doing my PPL next year Florida with a long-term view to gain ATPL. I have the funds available and am in a full time job so it will have to be done over a month (maximum). Have 20 days holidays a year with work so will more than likely take all these. Going to go the modular route and try keep the costs to a minimum.

Just wondering what the total price of this would be (including flights over, accom, exams etc). Basically just a final price. Any advice/info would be great from someone who has gone down this route.

Also any suggestions for a school would be great.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Crey86

I can't quote you a price as I did my PPL here in Ireland. But, there's probably a couple of things you can do before going out to the States. One thing to do would be try and have the exams done before you go out, or at the very least be ready for them with all the study done. Remember though if your going to the states it'll be under the UK CAA so you'll need to do their exams.

One thing that might be worth your while doing, is joining a club here first and getting a few hours under you belt before going out. You might not be under as much pressure when you go out there and it's a chance to figure out whether flying is really for you or not.
    Another benefit of doing the few hours here is that you'll be well established in a club here and it might make it easier for you to settle into flying in Ireland. Chances are you'll be expected to do the same couple of hours anyway to get checked out if you arrive into a club here with your fair weather license. :p

In hindsight that's the way I would have done it. In the end I stuck it out with my flying club(glad I did in a way). The only down side to it was that it took so long nearly 3 years, but I could have got that down to a little over a year I'd say if I'd put a bit more pressure on myself.

Just one final point, I did my PPL at a flying club and not a school, Limerick Flying Club to be exact. From my experience and bank balance I'd high recommend joining a club over a school. Taking into account every single expenditure I had from my initial membership to LFC, my flight log, exams(including flight test), 55 flight hours, the whole thing cost me 7960euro. My average flight hour was just over 100euro/hr(130e and later 140e per/tach hr). These kind of rates will make hour building much more affordable than the 180e the flight schools look for. Having done about 20ish hours in the Pipers/Cessna's I much prefer coming back to the Tecnams especially for potting around Ireland and they're so much cheaper to operate.

Anyway best of luck with whatever route you end up taking. Happy flying. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Contrails

If you do it right you won't regret doing it in Florida, it's what I did and can't really complain about my experience at all.

I reckon you're looking at about €9500 from start to finish (excluding class 1 medical if you go ahead with that first, that's an extra 650). That's basically what I spent. The actual course itself will be about 7k with accom included. Then you'll need to buy your ppl books, pay visa fees to the us embassy, flights, food and drink when you're over there and some equipment, like headset, maps etc..

I was doing it in Weston initially before deciding to stop and head over there. All things taken into account I saved at least 2-3k. It's a good experience and if you put in the work before you fly out, you'll get what you went over for, the PPL. It can be stressful though, managing your money, if the weather turns crap you can run out of time (I did my skills test on the day I flew home cause of ****e weather for the 3rd week, got it by the skin of my teeth!!), coping with the study, flying, exams and the long days.

But I did it in the end, in one month... bish bash bosh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Ald

cherrytaz wrote: »
    Hi all,

Seriously considering doing my PPL next year Florida with a long-term view to gain ATPL. I have the funds available and am in a full time job so it will have to be done over a month (maximum). Have 20 days holidays a year with work so will more than likely take all these. Going to go the modular route and try keep the costs to a minimum.

Just wondering what the total price of this would be (including flights over, accom, exams etc). Basically just a final price. Any advice/info would be great from someone who has gone down this route.

Also any suggestions for a school would be great.

Thanks

What's your location? The North of Ireland could be an option. You could drive up & fly when you have time off and for those 20 annual leave days you have off rent a room for a month and get your cross countries and exams done.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭cherrytaz

Thanks for the replies all. Just found out that taking a month solid off work in a no go (I only started recently) so it looks like I will hve to do ppl in Ireland.

I am based in Dublin Mon-Fri and Cavan most weekends. Got a few quotes from NFC/ Skytrace etc but they are very pricey (in my opinion). Any recommendations for cheapish hours? Looked into Trim/Eniskillen but just not sure.

Thanks

I think there's 2 or 3 up North. Derry, Aldergrove and Newtownards. Ring ahead and visit them. If you're a good negotiator you'll get 1/2 years free membership thrown in 'cause subs are a lot cheaper up there. Good luck...

• Advertisement

Just looked up Newtownards and its very reasonable but its a 2.5 hour drive which I think is too much. Abbeyshrule and Enniskillen are both fairly close so might see what the story is with them.

Would be handy to be able to fly mid-week during the summer but that means finding somewhere drivable from Dublin. Most places around Dublin seem to be seriosuly expensive

Try Trim, Waterford and Kilkenny.

Kilkenny is actually reasonable on the flying rates but the subs put me off. It's a pity there isn't more business sense there 'cause it would get a lot of business being just over an hour's drive from Dublin... And it's a joke that you have to book and pay for an instructor for 2 hours minimum. www.joke.ie

Just checked out Trim there. Are my figures below correct based on this:

http://www.trimflyingclub.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=62&Itemid=58

Initil joining fee:500
    Yearly memberrhsip:420
    Minimum 45 hours:45*130

Total:6770

I know I am been very conservative with 45 hours but just for comparing like for like with other schools. Also add in Class 2, esxams etc, still seems ok?

Trim is ideally locacted between Cavan an Dublin also

It would be €150 per hour for you. You'd also have to factor in exam costs too and fee for the PPL skills test and examiner fee. You will also need the books, CRP, confuser and logbook.

IAA is a bit cumbersome in comparison to the CAA. With the IAA you have to go to a central examination centre to sit the exams and book an IAA examiner for the skills test. With the CAA you can sit the exams when you like so long as there is a CFI about the club and can have an examiner in the club test you for skills test once you haven't flown much with them before the test.

Ok thanks. Still seams "fairly reasonable". I think I might give them a call and see what happens. I have a few hours from Abbeyshrule but not their biggest fan.

Would be ideal to get a few mid week hours in during the summer. Less than an hours drive from my house in Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Xpro

Ireland is a rip off mate, 200quid an hour to fly is a bloody joke. They could atleast do something for you like charging by tach but instead you are getting whacked out of it the minute you start the plane.
    Im also doing my ppl at the minute, i fly a lot when i can weather permiting and im trying to get it done as quick as i can but very hard tbh. Weather here is a big disadvantage thats the only thing that puts me off.
    Half thinking of heading to states myself and get this done:rolleyes:

I'd love to go the Florida route but its simply not an option for me. Just started a new job as a graduate and would look awful if I asked for a month off in my first year. Might be a bit easier to pay it off over a longer time here also.

Trim looks like a good option for me

Just updating my situation again, apologies for delay I have decided to go the Florida route early next year (around April or May) and have gained approval from work to take a month off. Currently looking at either FlyEasa of EFT but looking more likely FlyEasa due to costs.

I plan to complete my CAA PPL Exams here prior to going and leave all my time there for flying. I currently live in Dublin mon-fri and Cavan at the weekends so I suppose Enniskillen may be the best place to do the exams? (open to siggestions).

On another note is it possilbe to study the ppl course on my own time (evenings etc having purchased required books myself) and then just sit the exams? Just suggesting this as want to try and keep the costs to a minimum.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭Bsal

On another note is it possilbe to study the ppl course on my own time (evenings etc having purchased required books myself) and then just sit the exams? Just suggesting this as want to try and keep the costs to a minimum

I don't see why not, the PPL exams are fairly simple.

Bsal wrote: »
    I don't see why not, the PPL exams are fairly simple.

You need to be signed off by the CFI confirming you have completed ground school tuition.

Is this also the case for CAA exams as I will be doing them in northern ireland?

I'd imagine so, find the application form on the CAA and see if it has a section that requires a sign off by a CFI, if it does you have your answer. :)

I think you can just sit the exams without mandatory ground school as the courses in FlyEasa and EFT don't mandate ground school as part of the schedule.

I've done this up over the past few days to try and get as accurate of price as possible, what do yous think? Will include a contingency also.

Untitled-85.jpg

I plan to complete all exams here (in Northern Ireland) before I go and leave the time out there to just flying. I am in the process of purchasing the ppl books, have bought a headset and basically looking to keep costs to a minimum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭phonypony

I've done this up over the past few days to try and get as accurate of price as possible, what do yous think?

You could save yourself a few quid on the pick-up from Orlando Intl. by getting a bus. You could also combine your FAA class 3 and JAA class 2 with the same AME in Florida.
    Bear in mind the package you are looking at has in the small print 'You must purchase prior to your arrival the EASA/AFE Study Pack. Failure to purchase the AFE Study Kit will result in a surcharge of 116 GBP in addition to the package price.'
    Will they refund you the price of the written exams as you will have already taken them?

Also bear in mind any payments you make will be in dollars, not the Euro price quoted. The Euro hasn't been doing great against the Dollar. At the moment the equivalent Euro price is closer to €4550. If you're paying them by credit card the exchange rate may be less and you will be charged a fee....

Well done for getting a DC headset for €100!

Yep I have considered busing it to and from Orlando International and so will look into the costs. Would you think that the combined Class 2 and FAA Class 3 would work out cheaper out there or by enough to warrant it?

I noticed that alright the small print re the pack which seems a bit harsh. I will get in contact and see if there is any sort of reduction with regards to having all exams done before departing Ireland (I somehome doubt there is!!)

True that regarding the exchange rate. Will add a few hundred I suppose in total. Yes I got a good deal on the headset and hopefully similarly with PPL books/confuser which I plan to study myself and just complete the exams. Planning on going at some stage around April/May next year so plan on having as much as possible out of the way and planned before then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Alfagtamini

I completed all my ground school exams in the Uk in one week. Took a week off work and went on a intensive ground school course. Flew out Monday morning and back on Saturday evening. Cost me around €850 with flights, accommodation, course cost, food etc.
    If you would like details drop me a PM.
    It may also me worth looking at the UK CAA courses in Europe.
    There are also lots of schools in England that do intensive courses. I did my PPL on the Isle of Wight in 4 weeks. ( i had ground exams completed and 10 hours logged from Ireland)
    There were only 3 days out of the 4 weeks i didn't fly due to weather/technical issues with A/C.

I found when i worked out costs Florida was not any cheaper.

Also when you do get back to Ireland from Florida very few clubs will sign you off to fly without a few hours of training for Irish airspace and Weather.

any more questions just ask.

And if you're the type that likes to cook, there's a lot to be said for buying in bulk at the start of your 4 weeks, rice, pasta, grains, beans or whatever you're into, rather than eating out every day, a huge saving to be made there!! RE: the medical, I'll try dig out my credit card bill from the time, I did both FAA/JAA with the same AME

phonypony wrote: »
    And if you're the type that likes to cook, there's a lot to be said for buying in bulk at the start of your 4 weeks, rice, pasta, grains, beans or whatever you're into, rather than eating out every day, a huge saving to be made there!! RE: the medical, I'll try dig out my credit card bill from the time, I did both FAA/JAA with the same AME

Yep I'm up for any suggestions that will reduce overall costs, such as the food you mentioed above. Thanks for that, be interesting to see the combined cost. Out of interest did you do your exams prior to travelling and if so where? I'm currently looking into doing them up north

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Hi there
    You don't appear to have mentioned two important things: your passport and insurance. You have to have the ESTA(?) form filled in so now is a good time to check that your passport is in order. You cannot take the risk of going without insurance so get some good advice on this.Also, if you use a credit card issued outside the USA, they will charge you 2 to 3% for using it, which can add up, unless you happen to have a US-issued card. Do not ever, ever pay up front. Ever. Ever. Did I say ever? Pay as you go, ie, pay each day for your day's flights. Have a contingency fund of at least the price of a week's accomodation and a flight ticket home and a few bucks for grub and buses. You won't do it in 45 hours, more like 55 so budget appropriately.

regards
    Stovepipe

Yep my passport is in date for another 7 years so good on that front but will look into ESTA as you said. I have all the M-1 Visa information looked over so in the process of sorting that out. I will be using my Visa Debit Card from here which does not incur any charges to the best of my knowledge. That is the plan alright to pay day by day. Any more advice please throw it at me

Yep I'm up for any suggestions that will reduce overall costs, such as the food you mentioed above. Thanks for that, be interesting to see the combined cost. Out of interest did you do your exams prior to travelling and if so where? I'm currently looking into doing them up north

I did my exams in Florida, I wasn't pressed for time so it worked for me. So my combined FAA/JAA medical came to $395 which at the moment is €320, more than you quoted. One thing does come to mind though, you may not be able to do your initial medical in Ireland applying for a CAA licence. As far as I'm aware under EASA your initial medical establishes your state of licence issue. One other thing I notice in my CC statements from that time, the CAA application for licence issue came to £265, which is €340

Edit to add my insurance from Trafford's (including flight training cover) came to £260

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

Stovepipe wrote: »
    Hi there
    You don't appear to have mentioned two important things: your passport and insurance. You have to have the ESTA(?) form filled in so now is a good time to check that your passport is in order. You cannot take the risk of going without insurance so get some good advice on this.Also, if you use a credit card issued outside the USA, they will charge you 2 to 3% for using it, which can add up, unless you happen to have a US-issued card. Do not ever, ever pay up front. Ever. Ever. Did I say ever? Pay as you go, ie, pay each day for your day's flights. Have a contingency fund of at least the price of a week's accomodation and a flight ticket home and a few bucks for grub and buses. You won't do it in 45 hours, more like 55 so budget appropriately.

regards
    Stovepipe

I was under the impression that if you are going to the US for pilot training you needed an M1 Visa. I was also under the impression that if you had a visa then you didn't need to do the ESTA which I understood replaced the old visa waiver scheme.

Having to do 55 hours instead of 45 would make a fair hole in any contingency fund!

Would love if you kept us updated on your progess OP. The PPL is a distant dream of mine but if I thought it could be done close to the budgets advertised by the FTO's I would be very tempted...

Yep me bad, you do in fact need the M-1 as outlined in my costs. Just got all PPL books, Confuser and Jeppesen flight computer for 60 Euro so a good start. Although exam costs are included in the EASA PPL Course in Florida I really want to have the exams out of the way before I go so contacted Enniskillen where I can sit them for £45 each (a bit steep but perhaps thats the going rate?). So I will try sit all 7 before departing, should spread the cost nicely over the next few months. I plan to go next April to train. Really want to keep the hours as close to 45 as possible

Also have a pretty decent flight simulator setup which might be of some use (flying online on VATSIM to help the ATC and general procedures). Every little helps I suppose..

IMG_0093.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Hi there
    Really, you should budget as if you have to do 55 hours instead of 45. You won't do it in exactly 45 on the dot so it pays to have a buffer which is closer to reality. Most flying schools over there schedule the student in two-hour slots, so you can expect to fly about 90 mins of that, doing two slots a day, which changes as the task changes, ie, the dual cross-country, the solo cross country, night flights and so on.It helps if you have an hour or two done over here before you go, as you will be familiar with the early basics and it speeds things up.You will lose days to weather( too hot/too windy/too thundery), aircraft unavailability, instructor unavailability, sickness,etc,etc., so be prepared to hit the books on the slack days, in prep for your flight test.

regards
    Stovepipe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭LeftBase

I was having a read through this thread and I have to say that for getting a PPL you are spot on to blow this overpriced hotdog stand and go to florida.

However what spurred me to comment was that you mentioned that you are looking at going all the way to ATPL. As it happens a friend of mine was literally telling me yesterday about his and other's bad experience with going this route in Florida. If I am to throw my few cents in I would say do not do any sort of CPL/IR training out there after your PPL as the experience of some(but maybe not all) of the guys I know who have done their CPL out there is that airlines here look down their nose at it. The standard can also be called into question too as some FTOs there allegedly have a "close relationship" with Florida examiners. FR and RE seem to favor those who train in Europe at present(EI seem to favor god know's what criteria).

Before you pay anything in Florida be sure of what you are getting as there is a lot of messing that goes on out there. Some schools ask for money on account meaning that you cannot actually see when money is taken and where it goes.

If I am to submit an opinion it would be to get a PPL in Florida and then come back here to finish off the route to ATPL. But that's just my opinion.

Advertisement