Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best MacGyver Inventions/Repair Jobs

• 20-10-2004 9:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭

I recently saw two MacGyvers on Bravo.
    One where some sort of a spring broke in a truck and he used the spring of a ballpoint pen to replace it, low and behold, the truck started!!

The one the other day he was escaping from East Germany i think, pretending he was dead. Agent friends (posing as mourners) were waiting for his coffin with him alive inside at the border. Something went wrong and the military were alerted, so the mourners chucked MacGyvers coffin into the river, he pressed a button and the lid flew off the coffin, pressed it again, the sides fell off came off and it the coffin somehow turned into a JETSKI and he escaped to safety! Someone tell me if i missed something lol

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

:D
    Heh, some crazy stuff on that show.
    One I remeber, was Mac using a Bic pen as a form of rocket launcher to take out a military jeep :eek:

Jesus wept :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Did you see the one where he used a ;lemon to make a landmine, aparantly he used the lemon juice as some sort of electrolyte. all he did was connect it to two bits of wire or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

brainiacs do some pretty crazy stuff too that u'd be half tempted to try out!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

didnt he stop a nuclear reactor from leaking before wit a chocolate bar??? and made a helecopter out of a few planks of wood!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

No it was a vat of sulphiric acid down an ICBM silo that was sealed with a chocolate bar - piot episode ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

that the one where they were on a ship? and there was a bomb with a vacumn device on it??

One i remember which stuck out to me recently, which would actually work. Homeless girl fishing, cant catch anything. Mac walkin bye, eats a chewing gum, uses silver foil to make a hook type shape(colour attract fish?) and put it on her rod. He walks off, lo and behold, she catches this MASSIVE fish. over a foot long type fish. ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

what about the one where he is locked in this room which has some sort of keycode lock on door which is activated by sound or something,so when he hears it when baddies come in he get a couple of glasses and fills them up with water,but some are half full or 3/4's full and he hits them with a spoon to make the sound like on the door...hehe it only took him a couple of minutes to do...he poured out some water in some and added to another glass and out the door he went.....

Ah who could forget that knife he had...he would of died long ago if not for the Knife!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

mad m wrote:
    what about the one where he is locked in this room................

Thats the general plot for most of the episodes. Quality show BTW. Does anyone remember the one where he almost died and went into a comma. He was on this ship with his dead parents etc.. and was locked inside a room ;) (boiler room I think), anyway he had to escape to get off the ship and thus moving away from the light and back to reality. Wierd episode, but the little piece of wire, chewing gum and the heat from the boiler pipes came in handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

Saw the tail end of an episode the other day. Basically he was poisoned with some virus or something, and the bad guy had the antidote in a vial. The baddie threw the vial down a drain outa Mac's reach.

He rushed around and found an iron bar. He whacks the end of it off the kerb a few times-to make it magnetic temporarily.

he proceeds to probe down the drain with the iron bar and wouldn't you know it, the vial sticks to the end of the bar.

Genius

I've a vague recollection of him about to be hanged. He asks if he can have a shave as his last request, and he uses the mirror to start a helicopter, anyone else remember that one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

saw one today where there was a bomb on a boat and MacGyver and his old 'nam bomb disposal buddy had to difuse it, but Charlie (i think he name was) got blown to pieces when he discovered the bomb was in a vacuum :( NOOOOOO!!! didnt see the end of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

There was one episode where he managed to escape the afterlife kinda stopped watching it after that he sabotaged the ship that was taking him to heaven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

Just watched an episode there on Bravo. In this one Mac managed to bring back to life a guy who was having a heart attack. How did he do this I hear you say - well he used two silver candlesticks and an electrical wire (attached to the mains I assume) to double as a defibrillator. Genius. :D

give him a packet of matches and some cellotape and he'll build you a house!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

Ruu wrote:
    saw one today where there was a bomb on a boat and MacGyver and his old 'nam bomb disposal buddy had to difuse it, but Charlie (i think he name was) got blown to pieces when he discovered the bomb was in a vacuum :( NOOOOOO!!! didnt see the end of it

If I remember correctly, he deffused his bomb, then got the hot, sexy(for 80's standards) girl. Not much remorse to be seen :)

phew, MacGyver could have got so much action but he was always too busy and professional :)

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭penguinbloke

sprinkles wrote:
    Quality show BTW. Does anyone remember the one where he almost died and went into a comma.[\QUOTE]
    and remember kids bad punctuation can kill. :)

Or the one where he was trapped in a cave. Using only his trusty swiss army knife he opened up some shotgun shells, removed the gunpowder and used it to blast the cave open.

No wonder they wanted him for the stargate

• Registered Users Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I remember a couple of these cos I was a massive MacGuyver fan when i was a kid (even badgered my mother into buying me the same type of runners he wore (white boot nikes with a blue swoosh :o )

He gets locked into a beer cooler room, knocks down part of the air conditioning unit and forms a cannon using it and a beerkeg...

Using chewing gum and tinfoil to trick an electric eye in a security door into not locking when the bad guys leave the room...

Anyone else remember his arch-nemesis Murdoch?

YES, u could never kill the fecker! haha

I can remember 2 episodes with him in it. One where he set up an assault course for MacGyver to save a girl strapped into an electric chair (or maybe a chair strapped with explosives)

The other one, Murdoch ended up falling down a mine shaft. I remember everyone thought, that was the end of him! The next day MacGyver got a cassette tape in a package and it was Murdoch!! He said something like always be looking over ur shoulder MacGyver. Evil baxtard hehe

• Registered Users Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I knew I'd forgotten another one: when he cracked eggs into a jeep's radiator that had been shot up to get the thing starting again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

This thread is classic! Wish I had bravo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Sleepy wrote:
    I remember a couple of these cos I was a massive MacGuyver fan when i was a kid (even badgered my mother into buying me the same type of runners he wore (white boot nikes with a blue swoosh :o )

He gets locked into a beer cooler room, knocks down part of the air conditioning unit and forms a cannon using it and a beerkeg...

Using chewing gum and tinfoil to trick an electric eye in a security door into not locking when the bad guys leave the room...

Anyone else remember his arch-nemesis Murdoch?
    i remenber that one with the chewing gum and the tinfoil or was that in a few of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭dublin_apache

Ah it must be one of the best TV shows of the ole 80's !

MacGyver

Here is a full list of ALL the "MacGyverisms" !

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Did you see the one where he used a ;lemon to make a landmine, aparantly he used the lemon juice as some sort of electrolyte. all he did was connect it to two bits of wire or something.

Copper and Zinc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Kalina

I saw a good episode recently where he was on the run out of East Germany or somewhere like that, he was escaping in a car and of course, whaddya knowthe brakes are cut and he's going at breakneck speed down a twisty mountain road. So he hops out on the hood of the car and somehow manages to fix the brakes while his mate steers the car. Don't think he had any tools or anything, how the hell did he fix the brakes?? He's a legend!! :cool:

saw one yesterday where he was dressed up as the bishop to stop the real bishop being assasinated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

Ruu wrote:
    saw one yesterday where he was dressed up as the bishop to stop the real bishop being assasinated :)

Did he allow himself to be shot, to buy time, by wearing a bullet proff vest and ketchup bags, while his associate caught the killer?

err no :) he was battling the assasin and the assasin fell onto his own poison pin and died. Mac was annoyed cos he reckoned "he would never know if he could have taken him"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭spanner

what a guy! what a hero. i remember the one were mac and some buddies were stuck on a montain side after their plane crashed, the planes front wheel was broken and one of them had to go to the hospital so he digs a long trench, fills it with mud and then builds a sledge out of wood so that it would act as the wheel for take

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

There was one where he made a few landmines out of tree sap and pine cones.

And I remember another one where he ended up in prison for some reason and made a bomb out of a metal bowl, a block of ice and some wire.

Oh McGyver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

Best locked room escape: there's a wheelchair in the room, which is padlocked. the wheels of the chair are made out of Magnesium. He breaks up a wheel, stuffs it into a pipe, then wedges the pipe into the 'U' of the padlock. He lights the magnesium ( don't ask how), the pipe expands withthe heat, and pops the padlock open...

That helicopter was a special military prototype, and had a light /heat activated panel on the side to start it.

Re wooden skid in the plane: I remember that one, he used a girl's spiral earings to line the runway up properly...

Genius!

PS: Anyome know his first name? It was revealed in the King Arthur Episode...

Advertisement