Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linux Use In Dublin

• 07-12-2005 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭

Are there many ppl here on Boards.ie living in Dublin that use Linux? Anyone interested in forming a LUG? I haven't much experience in Linux apart from burning .iso's and installing it but I can download different versions and do copies for ppl. We could pool our experiences with Linux and build on that. Seems strange that Dublin hasn't got a LUG already.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭ikoonman

sure - count me in. i am experienced in Linux (Slackware/RH/FC/Knoppix) aswell as Solaris and AIX.

Keep me posted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭HomunQlus

Count me in as well.

Have got experience on following distributions:

- RedHat Linux 8 -9
    - Fedora Core 1 - 4
    - SuSE Linux 7 - 9.3 (haven't tested 10 yet)
    - Gentoo Linux
    - FreeBSD 5 (haven't tried 6 yet)
    - Solaris 10 (Not really a Linux, but hey, it's free)
    - Mandriva (formerly Mandrake)
    - Knoppix 3.4 - 4.0
    - Debian 3.0 (but I don't know that much about it)
    - Ubuntu 5.04 - 5.10

Running on the following platforms:

- i386
    - PowerPC

In the moment I'm running Fedora Core 4 as production system for my Internet Gateway, Gentoo 2005.1 on my PowerBook G4 beside Mac OS X, it also runs as PC version on my learning machine. Knoppix is used for recovery or to show people about Linux that want to learn about it, and all the other distributions were running on my learning machine, each for some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

Great. I've sent a post to th ILUG mailing list asking for suggestions/info re setting up our own LUG. With any luck there will be more ppl over there interested as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I would be interesting in joining, have some experience installing a load of Linux flavours. Some experience admining Redhat and Debian boxes. Will have a load of experience with Solaris 10 soon as well.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I'm also interested. I have experience with redhat 9, FC3, RHEL4 and ubuntu 5.04 and 5.10 all on i686 machines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Count me in, I guess I'd still be considered a Linux n00b but I'm getting pretty experienced now, I mostly use SuSe 10 on my laptop and have dabbled in Debian, Knoppix and Mandriva. I'd certainly be interested in going to a Dublin based LUG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

I have Ubuntu dual booting with XP on my home PC but I can't use it due to a compatability issue with my MS wireless mouse I haven't gotten fixed yet...

I'll be installing Fedora Core on my laptop soon on the condition I'll be able to get my Linksys wireless pcmcia card working on it.

I have an old PowerPC at home I'm going to install FreeBSD on over the network at some point. Might do it when I get home

Hi all,
    I got IMO a lack-lustre response from Linux.ie maining list. They seem to think that the Dublin Linux users are already well catered for through POTD (Pints Of The Day) and other events etc and to find out about these you sucribe to social@linux.ie. Also told to checkout irc.linux.ie.

Here's the thread started by my email mentioned above: http://www.linux.ie/lists/pipermail/ilug/2005-December/085151.html (just click on NEXT to continue reading posts)

Dunno what you all wanna do now. Want to checkout a POTD or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭zekiel

Its shame its you cant set one up like that.. I'd also be interested in taking part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

You could just go ahead and set up a little sister LUG. It won't be official or anything, but would be a nice excuse for some boards peoples to go for beers. Maybe even a Boards.ie UNIX forum group or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

Yeah count me in I have a good bit of desktop experience and a a growing amount of admin experience. Yeah just make it a Boards.ie LUG, BLUG has a ring to it. See can we get a forum and mailing lost going

Yeah count me in I have a good bit of desktop experience and a a growing amount of admin experience. Yeah just make it a Boards.ie LUG, BLUG has a ring to it. See can we get a forum and mailing lost going

No need for a forum methinks, a mailing list would suffice, there is a risk of a new forum taking precedence over this one.

BLUG is a great idea. I'm not in the Dublin region at all, I'm on the other side of the country, however I will be in Dublin on January 6th.

We'll then your officaial signup date can be Jan6th :v:

Yeah BLUG has a good ring to it.

Wanna change the tread titile to BLUG? and we can keep this going as the boardsie end of things?

Yeah I'm cool with that.

<sniff> this feels like a historic moment <sniff> ;)

Well if it was going to be a blug.. maybe a sub forum could be created.. ??

Nah, the forum's quiet enough as it is, without having a sub-forum IMO.

I'm going on holidays on the 7th to rest my weary bones, but I could try to make the 6th.

This kind of thread is exactly how unreal.ie started. :)

Yeh I suppose, maybe a mailing list then would be a nice touch.

Yup defo. Who will be the mailing master?

• Advertisement

Yeah defo. Bags I not me for mm. :D

K send an email to

boardsieLUG@gmail.com

If ya wanna join the mailing list.
    (Im only doing this TEMPORARILY!)

Is there a mailing list manager available on boards.. or is a seperate site required... or we gonna use something like http://www.aardvarkmailinglist.net/ ??

I was gonna try Arrow cause its really easy to use but it dont support SSL? Does aardvark?

Lets go oldskool. Usenet Group/Google Group..

http://groups.google.com/group/boardsieLUG

That ok?
    Send an email to the above email address and Ill add anone who wnats to the group.

Ahh grand so.. emailed ya there a minute ago.

Invite sent.

I've sent my request to join.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato
    Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Lets go oldskool. Usenet Group/Google Group..
    Meh... it's quiet enough in here without sucking some of the threads away to Google groups.
    Why not just keep on as we are here and have a sticky for meets etc.?
    Or am I missing something. :confused:

It took a while but I don't mind. How does my body look in this light?

• Advertisement

Mailing List:v:

Advertisement