Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why would an Irish person wear a poppy ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

If you're thinking of buying a poppy remember your money is going to people who have murdered Irish kids on Irish streets. Kids such as...

Carol Ann Kelly 12 years, Twinbrook, west Belfast, shot by a plastic bullet fired by a member of the British Army’s Royal Fusiliers, on 19 May 1981. She died two days later.

Anthony McDowell 13 years, Duneden Park, Ardoyne, north Belfast, shot dead on 19 April 1973, by members of the British Army’s Parachute Regiment.

Daniel Hegarty was age 15 years, from Swilly Gardens, Creggan, Derry City. Daniel was shot dead on 31 July 1972, by members of the British Army's Royal Scots Regiment.

Annette McGavigan 14 years old, Drumcliff Avenue, Derry City, shot in the back of the head by a British Army soldier on 6 September 1971.

There's a reason their own Government doesn't look after them and forces them to beg.

"These are shocking conclusions to read and shocking words to have to say, but you do not defend the British army by defending the indefensible."
    British Prime Minister David Cameron.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Im not agianst any Irish person wearing it because there reletives may have fought in the war but I would certainly not wear it.

Even if I were on The BBC or ITV I wouldnt wear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

If you're thinking of buying a poppy remember your money is going to people who have murdered Irish kids on Irish streets. Kids such as...

Also remember that if you buy an easter lily badge your money is going to a group that killed more children than any other during the troubles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I disagree.

If you buy a poppy in the ROI your contribution almost exclusively goes towards old Irish WWII veterans (Leopardstown Hospital for example), or the widows of Irish WWII veterans. Poppies sold in the ROI are provided by the IRISH Poppy appeal fund, and the procedes are contained & distributed within the ROI. The Irish dead from the Great War (1914-1918) + WWII (1939-45) are the main focus of whom we commemorate here in the ROI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

LordSutch wrote: »
    I disagree.

If you buy a poppy in the ROI your contribution almost exclusively goes towards old Irish WWII veterans (Leopardstown Hospital for example), or the widows of Irish WWII veterans. Poppies sold in the ROI are provided by the IRISH Poppy appeal fund, and the procedes are contained & distributed within the ROI. The Irish dead from the Great War (1914-1918) + WWII (1939-45) are the main focus of whom we commemorate here in the ROI.

In the First World alone 50.000 Irish men lay dead in the Poppy fields . . . .

Do they proactively collect here? I can honestly say that I have never seen anyone collecting for the legion, nor anyone wearing a poppy.

• Advertisement

Yes - See post#331 last paragraph.

. . . "Dunno for how much longer though, as the elderly ladies who sell them in Dublin and countrywide are getting fewer and fewer as the years pass by. Obviously you can get a poppy at this time of year in any Church of Ireland/ Methodist or Preysbyterian Church (small contribution always welcome), but Poppy sellers on the streets are slowly becoming a thing of the past in the ROI".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Should savages be allowed to wear the poppy?
    This is a letter from a British Officer to the homeland. Read and decide for yourself who the savage was. See what the mealy-mouthed colonial apologists will come up with this time.

viewer?attid=0.1&pid=gmail&thid=13ad74dea5673a7e&url=https%3A%2F%2Fmail.google.com%2Fmail%2Fu%2F0%2F%3Fui%3D2%26ik%3D24ebf85d67%26view%3Datt%26th%3D13ad74dea5673a7e%26attid%3D0.1%26disp%3Dsafe%26zw&docid=75bf0f9698899683081dbcfeee697a6c%7Cf97cb472ee4b570cf287552df04bd030&a=bi&pagenumber=3&w=800

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

Spread wrote: »
    This is a letter from a British Officer to the homeland. Read and decide for yourself who the savage was. See what the mealy-mouthed colonial apologists will come up with this time.

viewer?attid=0.1&pid=gmail&thid=13ad74dea5673a7e&url=https%3A%2F%2Fmail.google.com%2Fmail%2Fu%2F0%2F%3Fui%3D2%26ik%3D24ebf85d67%26view%3Datt%26th%3D13ad74dea5673a7e%26attid%3D0.1%26disp%3Dsafe%26zw&docid=75bf0f9698899683081dbcfeee697a6c%7Cf97cb472ee4b570cf287552df04bd030&a=bi&pagenumber=3&w=800
    Link doesnt work I'm afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

i am very disappointed here.....what went on in the past we all are aware of.....we watched it every night on the news...some of us lived it....

as an irishman i am horrified at the implication that irish did not commit atrocities ......and those acts are being condoned by irish people on this thread.....irish people killing irish people.....

no need to post a list of the british side.....seen it, lived it, and am horrified by it.....

but the thought that irish killing irish is being condoned......makes me sick......

GRMA wrote: »
    Link doesnt work I'm afraid

If it comes out in diminished font ............ use +150

• Advertisement

i am very disappointed here.....what went on in the past we all are aware of.....we watched it every night on the news...some of us lived it....

as an irishman i am horrified at the implication that irish did not commit atrocities ......and those acts are being condoned by irish people on this thread.....irish people killing irish people.....

no need to post a list of the british side.....seen it, lived it, and am horrified by it.....

but the thought that irish killing irish is being condoned......makes me sick......

I'm not quite sure if you are familiar with history as a whole. Civil wars - declared or otherwise - are a fact of life. AFAIK people in other countries were just as adept at it, if not better. In scenarios where an occupied army are forced to withdraw, the ensuing power vacuum causes the war/killings/social unrest. So I don't know why you get so upset ......... it happens. I mean, people have been getting killed since Abel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I disagree.

....as they're nearly all dead, its highly unlikely the majority of funds go towards them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Link doesn't work for me either....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

john why wrote: »
    Roy keane has one on now. ah well he's from cork
    sure roy keane would wear one,he lives and works in the UK,he understands just what its all about,not like some of the posters on here who have a village mentality,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

I'm not quite sure if you are familiar with history as a whole. Civil wars - declared or otherwise - are a fact of life. AFAIK people in other countries were just as adept at it, if not better. In scenarios where an occupied army are forced to withdraw, the ensuing power vacuum causes the war/killings/social unrest. So I don't know why you get so upset ......... it happens. I mean, people have been getting killed since Abel.
    Atrocities like Omagh are nothing to do with civil wars & all to do with murder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

The irony of that coming from someone in America is hilarious. Korea? Vietnam? Iraq? Afghanistan? Grenada?

Get back in your box and keep throwing a few bucks in the jar "for the boys"....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

summerskin wrote: »
    The irony of that coming from someone in America is hilarious. Korea? Vietnam? Iraq? Afghanistan? Grenada?

Get back in your box and keep throwing a few bucks in the jar "for the boys"....

Whats the difference between yourself and Spread? Yes Spread is in USA(probably Irish emigrant) and yourself is a British immigrant to Ireland. Both are immigrants with a different nationality and point of view on this topic, hardly surprising is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I disagree.

When they joined the British Army, they became British soldiers.

getz wrote: »
    sure roy keane would wear one,he lives and works in the UK,he understands just what its all about,not like some of the posters on here who have a village mentality,

I would say it has more to do with his employer insisting on it rather than Mr Keane actually giving the matter too much thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

I would say it has more to do with his employer insisting on it rather than Mr Keane actually giving the matter too much thought.
    you wish, when are you going to grow up and realize that the irish people are no longer going to be dictated to by republican and loyalist dinosaus,

getz wrote: »
    you wish, when are you going to grow up and realize that the irish people are no longer going to be dictated to by republican and loyalist dinosaus,

Oh I agree, I think you will find my posts quite consistent on that wearing a poppy is very much an individual choice and I really could not care less.

The idea that a footballer gives such matters much thought is doubtful when he is being paid by ITV who have a stated policy that all who appear on TV must wear a poppy. Unless of course you know something different about Mr Keane's inner thoughts.

Then again maybe it is something Mr Keane feels very strong about...who knows...;)

When they joined the British Army, they became British soldiers.

And by doing so they helped to defeat Kaiser Wilhelm & then Adolf Hitler and the Nazi's in WWII, which makes them true Irish heroes in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

And by doing so they helped to defeat Kaiser Wilhelm & then Adolf Hitler and the Nazi's in WWII, which makes them true Irish heroes in my book.

yes, not like some of the armchair warriors on here......crying their eyes out because more irish took up arms for britain than did to gain independance.......

TBh this whole Poppy thing is blown way out of proportion. The fact that everyone on the BBC/ITV etc wears one may give the false impression that the vast majority of people in England wear one. This is not the case.

For example, I just spent the last 40mins in the city centre of a city in the West Midlands. I would say no more than 20-30% of people were wearing one and the vast vast majority were aged 50+ and white. In fact, I did not see a poppy on any member of the Asian community (in the HSBC branch I went into, the 'white' members of staff were wearing popies but not the Asian staff). Do they have the same historical hang ups I wonder?

In the queue of 6 people in front of me nobody was wearing a poppy.

As I walked back, the only poppies were being worn by elderly people. Again no ethnic minorities. In the Morrisons I popped into, I just saw an elderly couple wearing one.

I work with 15 other people and nobody is wearing Poppies.

Of course, this is not a scientific study just an observation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Sounds like the Asian community are not British nationalists and maybe do object to what British soldiers of that era did in their homeland countries.

gurramok wrote: »
    Sounds like the Asian community are not British nationalists and maybe do object to what British soldiers of that era did in their homeland countries.

Yes, that must be it, The same as the Nigerians here who don't wear an Easter Lily as they object to Irish people not accepting the $56m that their Prince offered us just to look after his dead uncle's money...

I would like to distance myself from that comment...:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭ShiresV2

Do you teach your children some Irish history considering there is feck all of it taught in British schools?

Probably not much use given that much from both sides amounts to propaganda.

• Advertisement

ShiresV2 wrote: »
    Probably not much use given that much from both sides amounts to propaganda.

Exactly. it amazes me that irish people think that the version of history that they are taught is for some reason the genuine account, and that in britain we are taught nonsense. Some of the drivel that people spout here as a result of "irish" history lessons is laughable.

History is written by the victor. We get the Uk version, you get the irish version.

neither are accurate.

Advertisement